1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 01:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    How can societies go about deciding how to regulate "morals and behaviours" that are culturally and spiritually relevant at a local level?
    Why should they care? That is the great thing about democracy and mob rule, one size fits all.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 01:481 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why should they care? That is the great thing about democracy and mob rule, one size fits all.
    OK then, so how do you think a society should go about deciding how to regulate "morals and behaviours" that are culturally and spiritually relevant at a local level?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 01:561 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK then, so [b]how do you think a society should go about deciding how to regulate "morals and behaviours" that are culturally and spiritually relevant at a local level?[/b]
    In the US, a long time ago in a land far away, it was a country that practiced a thing called Federalism. Essentially, it gave power to local areas at the state and local level, with a weak federal government playing the role of referee.

It worked fine till the progressive movement.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 02:05
    In the US, a long time ago in a land far away, it was a country that practiced a thing called Federalism. Essentially, it gave power to local areas at the state and local level, with a weak federal government playing the role of referee.

So if you were an activist in Lhokseumawe who disagreed with this bye law, what would you do? This story is essentially to do with a federal government having given power to local areas at provincial and local levels. The local officials imposing this ban are not "progressives". What would be your strategy for arguing against what has happened in Lhokseumawe?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 02:101 edit

Unless you were black/gay/Hispanic/Non-Christian/poor/female living in any state south of the Mason-Dixon line...

For protestant rich white men it worked perfectly...

EDIT: In fairness, You were (and still are) at a disadvantage in any of those groups anywhere in the USA but it got
    more extreme in the 'southern' states.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 02:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    So if you were an activist in Lhokseumawe who disagreed with this bye law, what would you do? This story is essentially to do with a federal government having given power to local areas at provincial and local levels. The local officials imposing this ban are not "progressives". What would be your strategy for arguing against what has happened in Lhokseumawe?
    Actually I"m a propoent of limited government since laws inherently diminish our freedoms. By in large, laws are a necessary evil, and as such, should be passed sparingly and with great trepidation.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 02:38
    Actually I"m a propoent of limited government since laws inherently diminish our freedoms. By in large, laws are a necessary evil, and as such, should be passed sparingly and with great trepidation.
    What would be your strategy for arguing against what has happened in Lhokseumawe?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 02:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK then, so [b]how do you think a society should go about deciding how to regulate "morals and behaviours" that are culturally and spiritually relevant at a local level?[/b]
    Has anyone asked the women there what they think about that law?

Just another example of religion controlling women, making it completely clear women are second or third class citizens. Way to go.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 03:111 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Just another example of religion controlling women, making it completely clear women are second or third class citizens. Way to go.
    I don't disagree. But how do you propose a society should go about deciding how to regulate "morals and behaviours" in accordance with their spiritual and cultural norms and values?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 03:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Has anyone asked the women there what they think about that law?
    When I came to Indonesia over 20 years ago, I would say about 80% of women were riding side saddle at a time when there were no bye laws. That was in a somewhat atypical 'liberal' university town. Back then I had never been to Lhokseumawe but, judging by what I saw in less "devout" places elsewhere in this country, I would imagine the figure there would have been 100%. Nowadays, here where I live [in the same 'liberal' town], about 20% of women ride side saddle. What you see more of now, also, is the woman driving the motorbike and the man riding pillion. That was relatively rare 20 years ago.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 04:522 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    What would be your strategy for arguing against what has happened in Lhokseumawe?
    Arguing? What is there to argue? It all comes down to political power. Those with the most power will decide what is "right" and "wrong" for everyone else. If you can't overcome their political power, then people should move if they can't tolerate the laws. It's just that simple.

I think we both know where arguing gets you regarding religion or politics.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 05:332 edits
    Arguing? What is there to argue? It all comes down to political power. Those with the most power will decide what is "right" and "wrong" for everyone else. If you can't overcome their political power, then people should move if they can't tolerate the laws. It's just that simple.

I think we both know where arguing gets you regarding religion or politics.
    So your answer in Lhokseumawe is that people should "move away" if they can't tolerate the impositions upon their freedom? And yet on the Debates Forum you post endlessly and strenuously about "those with the most power [deciding] what is "right" and "wrong" for everyone else" in ways that you cannot tolerate, and yet you have never advocated that you - or people like you who can't tolerate the impositions upon your freedom - should just "move away". In more than 6 years of reading your posts I cannot remember you once suggesting to people with dissenting political views like yours that they should just "move away". Not even once. What's different in this case?
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 09:39
    Doesn't the US have laws guaranteeing religious freedom? How do these laws inherently diminish an individual's freedom.

Does not a law against murder actually increase the total amount of freedom by allowing us to walk more safely along the streets than we might otherwise be able to?
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 09:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't disagree. But how do you propose a society should go about deciding how to regulate "morals and behaviours" in accordance with their spiritual and cultural norms and values?
    Well you could argue that it is discriminatory, are men allowed to straddle the passenger seat behind a male or female driver.

But to be realistic, if the powers that be in any given location are of that mindset then there probably is no rational argument available.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 14:07
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Well you could argue that it is discriminatory, are men allowed to straddle the passenger seat behind a male or female driver.

But to be realistic, if the powers that be in any given location are of that mindset then there probably is no rational argument available.
    People of that mindset believe they will be rewarded with 70 virgins if the blow themselves up for the cause of Allah. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree