1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 20:111 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm sorry, GB, (and I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read this entire thread) but I tend to think that a Christian telling Atheists anything about atheism is tantamount to an Atheist telling a Christian anything about having faith. I think it's tantamount to a man telling a woman anything about why she shouldn't have an abortion.

My poin ...[text shortened]... ure, it depends on the nature and tone of such a post, but I'd venture that I probably would be.
    I've never understood all this umbrage and offense merely based on the choice of topic, and who is speaking on the topic.

I say, let Christians try to post about what atheism means. Either they will get it right, and come to understand atheism better in the process, or they will get it wrong and be quickly told so. Some of the most entertaining posts here are corrections of misconceptions and misrepresentations.

And what's with women thinking men aren't allowed to have an opinion on abortion? Granted, we will never know the experience of getting pregnant and never feel the gravity of the woman's decision to abort or not. Yes, this should temper our opinion accordingly. But asking for total silence isn't reasonable. The issue affects all people, even if the effect is far greater on women than men.

Finally, why would you be offended by a post about 'six types of Christian' from an atheist? If the types are accurate, then the post is valid. If they are not, here is your chance to look like a million bucks by skewering the misconceptions.

I think a lot of these discussions can be beneficial in trying to understand how the other side's minds work. If only we could just exercise a degree of control over our emotions, we could actually see a bit of the other side's perspective and understand where they are coming from, even if we don't agree.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 20:131 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Theists" would be wise to "fight" in private; family members don't launder their soiled socks and undergarments in public.
    Many things are in public that were previously in private.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 23:45
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I've never understood all this umbrage and offense merely based on the choice of topic, and who is speaking on the topic.

I say, let Christians try to post about what atheism means. Either they will get it right, and come to understand atheism better in the process, or they will get it wrong and be quickly told so. Some of the most entertaining posts ...[text shortened]... the other side's perspective and understand where they are coming from, even if we don't agree.
    As I've been shown fairly graphically lately, people like to talk without quite knowing what they're talking about. The danger with this is that other people sometimes start thinking they're right and grant them 'expert' status when they are nowhere near this. Even when you show them the error of their ways, they never give in and admit they're wrong. It's frustrating. But as you say, maybe they should be given just enough rope to hang themselves, but even this doesn't stop some of them.

Strangely enough, the realms I see this happening in most are religion, politics and gender issues, including orientation issues. Then there are those who must seem like an expert on nearly any topic. I say if you have no experience with a subject, then kindly shut up about it and let someone who knows the subject speak. It will become obvious soon enough whether they know what they're talking about, even though it apparently takes a lot to convince some people.

Then again, maybe I just get crankier the older I get. 🙂
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 23:58
    As I've been shown fairly graphically lately, people like to talk without quite knowing what they're talking about. The danger with this is that other people sometimes start thinking they're right and grant them 'expert' status when they are nowhere near this. Even when you show them the error of their ways, they never give in and admit they're wrong. It ...[text shortened]... kes a lot to convince some people.

Then again, maybe I just get crankier the older I get. 🙂
    The good hearted and caring, intelligent and reasonable woman we've all come to know as Suzianne will never ever be old!
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:01
    "Theists" would be wise to "fight" in private; family members don't launder their soiled socks and undergarments in public.
    If only this were so, and if only that might actually accomplish anything.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:062 edits

"If only this were so, and if only that might actually accomplish anything." -Suzianne

In principle, it's the only first class way to go.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:101 edit
    It is; it has; and will continue to both sew and reap patiently, benefitting others you may never meet until eternity.

Note: Misread the post you replied to... thought it was mine directly above.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:101 edit
    A call to theists to keep it private should be made privately.

Besides, some theists want to save not only the theists in the thread, but also the atheists.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:15
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

I say, let Christians try to post about what atheism means. Either they will get it right, and come to understand atheism better in the process, or they will get it wrong and be quickly told so. Some of the most entertaining posts ...[text shortened]... the other side's perspective and understand where they are coming from, even if we don't agree.
    Thanks, SG. Insightful, relaxed point of view. Assume you endorse not deviating excessively from the thread's topic.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:18
    Originally posted by JS357
    A call to theists to keep it private should be made privately.

Besides, some theists want to save not only the theists in the thread, but also the atheists.
    I agree that a man's attempt to seduce a woman should not be done in public, but kept private.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 00:34
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I am pro-life. However, I would not call a woman having an abortion a murderess, because she may have been coerced or not informed correctly when she made that decision. I am more likely to call the one performing the abortion a murderer, because I believe that person is more likely to know and should know that a life is being destroyed by an abortion.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 03:38
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    None of that has anything to do with men being allowed to talk about the subject.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 03:40
    Thanks, SG. Insightful, relaxed point of view. Assume you endorse not deviating excessively from the thread's topic.
    You assume incorrectly.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 03:40

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree