1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 03:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As I've been shown fairly graphically lately, people like to talk without quite knowing what they're talking about. The danger with this is that other people sometimes start thinking they're right and grant them 'expert' status when they are nowhere near this. Even when you show them the error of their ways, they never give in and admit they're wrong. It ...[text shortened]... kes a lot to convince some people.

Then again, maybe I just get crankier the older I get. 🙂
    To be sure, you can't stop anyone from continuing in error. However, you can convince the rest of the audience that it is they who have gone off in left field.

I have learned that it's me who needs to stop myself at a point. The human ego is a powerful force; we don't like to admit that we are wrong, particularly after having invested several posts over several days in defending a viewpoint. Once you stop expecting admissions of defeat, and start being content with having made good points that the opposition can't, or won't, answer, you will enjoy this forum a lot more.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 03:59
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    To be sure, you can't stop anyone from continuing in error. However, you can convince the rest of the audience that it is they who have gone off in left field.

I have learned that it's me who needs to stop myself at a point. The human ego is a powerful force; we don't like to admit that we are wrong, particularly after having invested several p ...[text shortened]... e good points that the opposition can't, or won't, answer, you will enjoy this forum a lot more.
    Good awareness. Would also agree that learning in any realm requires occasional unlearning?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 05:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Good awareness. Would also agree that learning in any realm requires occasional unlearning?
    Yeah.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 05:421 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yeah.
    ...even with the game of chess if and when a set of eyes open wider and see
    the 64 steady and see them whole (metaphor for life itself in some ways).
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 18:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Feb '14 19:43
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    That's a good reason, isn't it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree