I do
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 01:241 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"Behold, the six types of atheists"

By Dan Merica, CNN "How many ways are there to disbelieve in God? At least six, according to a new study. Two researchers at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga found that atheists and agnostics run the range from vocally anti-religious activists to nonbelievers who still observe some religious tradition ...[text shortened]... re an atheist, which of these six describes you; or would an additional category 7) be required?[/b]
    3) Seeker-Agnostic (SA)

"The third typological characteristic is the Seeker-Agnostic. Seeker-Agnostic typology consists of individuals attuned to the metaphysical possibilities precluding metaphysical existence,
    or at least recognizes the philosophical difficulties and complexities in making personal affirmations regarding ideological beliefs. They may call themselves agnostic or agnostic-atheist, as the SA simply cannot be sure of the existence of God or the divine. They keep an open mind in relation to the debate between the religious, spiritual, and antitheist elements within society.

Seeker-Agnostics recognize the limitation of human knowledge and experience. They actively search for and respond to knowledge and evidence, either supporting or disconfirming truth claims. They also understand, or at least recognize, the qualitative complexities of experiences in the formation of personal meaning. Seeker- Agnostics do not hold a firm ideological position but always search for the scientifically wondrous, and experientially profound confirmation of life’s meaning. They may be intrinsically motivated to explore and seek understanding in the world around them.

The diversity of others is accepted for the SA and co-existence with the “others” is not only possible, but also welcomed. Their worldly outlook may be mediated by science; however, they recognize current scientific limitations and embrace scientific uncertainty. They are comfortable with this uncertainty and even enjoy discussing it. Some Intellectual Atheist/Agnostics or Anti-Theists may accuse the Seeker-Agnostic of avoiding responsibility or commitment to a more solid affirmation of atheism. In other cases, outsiders may see it as an ontological transitional state from religion or spirituality to atheism.

In some cases, Seeker-Agnostics may generally miss being a believer either from the social benefits or the emotional connection they have with others such as friends or family. At times, their intellectual disagreement with their former theology causes some cognitive dissonance and it is possible they may continue to identity as a religious or spiritual individual. However, taking those exceptions into account, the majority of Seeker-Agnostics should in no way be considered “confused.” For the Seeker-Agnostic, uncertainty is embraced." (same site source/4-6 to follow)
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 12:305 edits
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    Are you and sonship really arguing that there has never been a single person in all human history who has converted from Christianity to atheism?

Never in a million years would it even have crossed my mind that someone would make this argument. If anyone wonders why atheists come to a forum to debate religious people, this is a prime example. Rational, i ...[text shortened]... low as evidence against your idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_converts_to_Nontheism
    It is a free country in the US. And anybody who wants to say "Hey, I was a Christian and now I am an Atheist" has the right to do so.

What I wrote was not about what a person can stand up and claim.
    What I wrote was that I do not believe that once a person is born of God he can be un-born of God.

Again, in the New Testament the Apostle Paul said that some of his co-apostles on the team had made "shipwreck" of their faith. Mostly because of things on their consciences which they did not confess as sins.

These "shipwrecked" Christians may well have said - "I was with Paul and I no longer believe this Gospel. I am no longer a follower of Jesus."

Eldridge Cleaver of the Black Panthers claimed he met Jesus in prison.
    Latter, I believe he moved from that confession to become a Moslem.

Bob Dylan the singer claimed he had become a Christian at one point.
    If I am not mistaken, I think he latter changed to explore Judaism.

Sam Harris and Michael Schermer say they were evangelical Christians.
    I don't know that. But they say so. Maybe they were.

If they were for real, they have a rendezvous with Jesus as a re-union someday.

I myself knew the Lord intimately for young years but went through a period of amnesia and blackout during high school years. I came out of a long dark tunnel in college.

But during those intervening years of a backslidden Christian I was completely blacked out and could not remember my former relationship with the living God. Rather scary.

Then a Christian girl friend in college said that I was a "lost sheep". I went home offended and pouting. "I am no lost sheep !!"

A few months latter I found out that I was indeed a lost sheep.
    Praise God the Good Shepherd left the ninety-nine and went after the one lost sheep in the wilderness.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 02:22
    [b]3) Seeker-Agnostic (SA)

"The third typological characteristic is the Seeker-Agnostic. Seeker-Agnostic typology consists of individuals attuned to the metaphysical possibilities precluding metaphysical existence,
    or at least recognizes the philosophical difficulties and complexities in making personal affirmations regarding ideological beliefs. ...[text shortened]... “confused.” For the Seeker-Agnostic, uncertainty is embraced." (same site source/4-6 to follow)[/b]
    4) Anti-Theist

"The fourth typology, and one of the more assertive in their view, we termed the Anti-Theist. While the Anti-Theists may be considered atheist or in some cases labeled as “new atheists,” the Anti-Theist is diametrically opposed to religious ideology.
    As such, the assertive Anti-Theist both proactively and aggressively asserts their views towards others when appropriate, seeking to educate the theists in the passé nature of belief and theology.

In other words, antitheists view religion as ignorance and see any individual or institution associated with it as backward and socially detrimental. The Anti-Theist has a clear and – in their view, superior – understanding of the limitations and danger of religions. They view the logical fallacies of religion as an outdated worldview that is not only detrimental to social cohesion and peace, but also to technological advancement and civilized evolution as a whole.

They are compelled to share their view and want to educate others into their ideological position and attempt to do so when and where the opportunity arises. Some Anti-Theist individuals feel compelled to work against the institution of religion in its various forms including social, political, and ideological, while others may assert their view with religious persons on an individual basis. The Anti-Theist believes that the obvious fallacies in religion and belief should be aggressively addressed in some form or another. Based on personalities, some Anti-Theists may be more assertive than others; but outsiders and friends know very clearly where they stand in relation to an Anti-theist. Their worldview is typically not a mystery. The Anti-Theist’s reaction to a religious devotee is often based on social and psychological maturity."
    (same site/5-6 to follow)
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 07:50
    Some Theist individuals feel compelled to work against the institution of Atheism in its various forms including social, political, and ideological, while others may assert their view with infidels on an individual basis. The Theist believes that the obvious fallacies in Atheism should be aggressively addressed in some form or another. Based on personalities, some Theists may be more assertive than others; but outsiders and friends know very clearly where they stand in relation to a Theist. Their worldview is typically not a mystery. The Theist’s reaction to an infidel is often based on social and psychological maturity."
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 11:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Some Theist individuals feel compelled to work against the institution of Atheism in its various forms including social, political, and ideological, while others may assert their view with infidels on an individual basis. The Theist believes that the obvious fallacies in Atheism should be aggressively addressed in some form or another. Based on personalit ...[text shortened]... stery. The Theist’s reaction to an infidel is often based on social and psychological maturity."
    Source?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 02:28
    4) Anti-Theist

"The fourth typology, and one of the more assertive in their view, we termed the Anti-Theist. While the Anti-Theists may be considered atheist or in some cases labeled as “new atheists,” the Anti-Theist is diametrically opposed to religious ideology.
    As such, the assertive Anti-Theist both proactively and aggressively asserts their ...[text shortened]... religious devotee is often based on social and psychological maturity."
    (same site/5-6 to follow)
    5) Non-Theist

"The fifth typology is termed the Non-Theist. While not many individuals identified themselves as this type, they did have experiences with others who self-classified as being non-theists. For the Non-Theists, the alignment of oneself with religion, or conversely an epistemological position against religion, can appear quite unconventional from their perspective. However, a few terms may best capture the sentiments of the Non-Theist. One is apathetic, while another may be disinterested. The Non-Theist is non-active in terms of involving themselves in social or intellectual pursuits having to do with religion or anti-religion. A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion. Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement. No part of their life addresses or considers transcendent ontology. They are not interested in any type of secularist agenda and simply do not care. Simply put, Non-Theist’s are apathetic non-believers. They simply do not believe, and in the same right, their absence of faith means the absence of anything religion in any form from their mental space." (6th type to follow)
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 08:28
    Bump for wolfgang59
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 08:30
    "Behold, the six types of atheists" (OP)

By Dan Merica, CNN "How many ways are there to disbelieve in God? At least six, according to a new study. Two researchers at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga found that atheists and agnostics run the range from vocally anti-religious activists to nonbelievers who still observe some religious traditions.

“The main observation is that nonbelief is an ontologically diverse community,” write doctoral student Christopher Silver and undergraduate student Thomas Coleman. “These categories are a first stab at this," Silver told the website Raw Story. "In 30 years, we may be looking at a typology of 32 types.” Silver and Coleman derived their six types of nonbelievers from 59 interviews. We're pretty sure we've spotted all six in our comments section.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic: This type of nonbeliever seeks information and intellectual stimulation about atheism. They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites. (Ahem.) They're also well-versed in books and articles about religion and atheism, and prone to citing those works frequently.

2) Activist: These kinds of atheists and agnostics are not content with just disbelieving in God; they want to tell others why they reject religion and why society would be better off if we all did likewise. They tend to be vocal about political causes like gay rights, feminism, the environment and the care of animals.

3) Seeker-agnostic: This group is made up of people who are unsure about the existence of a God but keep an open mind and recognize the limits of human knowledge and experience. Silver and Coleman describe this group as people who regularly question their own beliefs and “do not hold a firm ideological position.” That doesn't mean this group is confused, the researchers say. They just embrace uncertainty.

4) Anti-theist: This group regularly speaks out against religion and religious beliefs, usually by positioning themselves as “diametrically opposed to religious ideology,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “Anti-theists view religion as ignorance and see any individual or institution associated with it as backward and socially detrimental,” the researchers wrote. “The Anti-Theist has a clear and – in their view, superior – understanding of the limitations and danger of religions.” Anti-theists are outspoken, devoted and – at times – confrontational about their disbelief. They believe that "obvious fallacies in religion and belief should be aggressively addressed in some form or another.”

5) Non-theist: The smallest group among the six are the non-theists, people who do not involve themselves with either religion or anti-religion. In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest. “A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement.” They continue: “They simply do not believe, and in the same right, their absence of faith means the absence of anything religion in any form from their mental space.”

6) Ritual atheist: They don't believe in God, they don’t associate with religion, and they tend to believe there is no afterlife, but the sixth type of nonbeliever still finds useful the teachings of some religious traditions. “They see these as more or less philosophical teachings of how to live life and achieve happiness than a path to transcendental liberation,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “For example, these individuals may participate in specific rituals, ceremonies, musical opportunities, meditation, yoga classes, or holiday traditions.”

For many of these nonbelievers, their adherence to ritual may stem from family traditions. For others, its a personal connection to, or respect for, the "profound symbolism" inherent within religious rituals, beliefs and ceremonies, according the researchers." http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/15/the-six-types-of-atheists/

Footnote: If you're an atheist, which of these six describes you; or would an additional category 7) be required?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 08:56
    Footnote: If you're an atheist, which of these six describes you; or would an additional category 7) be required?
    A bit of all except 3.

The real question though is why classify? What is the purpose?
    Normally classification is done so that when a new member of a given class if encountered, you can draw conclusions about it based on other previously identified members of the class. I don't think that is possible in this case.
    For example if an atheist says he "tells others why they reject religion and why society would be better off if we all did likewise" this does not really tell you whether or not he is vocal about feminism - even though that is listed as a common characteristic of type 3 atheists.

Also, the categories don't seem to take into account that peoples behaviour may change substantially depending on social situation. So I may be type 2 on the internet, type 6 with my family, type 4 with some friends and type 5 at work.
    And thats this year. Next year I might shuffle them around a bit.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 11:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A bit of all except 3.

The real question though is why classify? What is the purpose?
    Normally classification is done so that when a new member of a given class if encountered, you can draw conclusions about it based on other previously identified members of the class. I don't think that is possible in this case.
    For example if an atheist says he "t ...[text shortened]... e friends and type 5 at work.
    And thats this year. Next year I might shuffle them around a bit.
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A bit of all except 3.

3) Seeker-agnostic: This group is made up of people who are unsure about the existence of a God but keep an open mind and recognize the limits of human knowledge and experience. Silver and Coleman describe this group as people who regularly question their own beliefs and “do not hold a firm ideological position.” That doesn't mean this group is confused, the researchers say. They just embrace uncertainty.

Hmm....
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 11:551 edit
    Hmm....
    Yes, you can quite easily deliberately misinterpret my posts - but in so doing, you are the looser, not I.
  13. rebel city
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 12:04
    [b]"Behold, the six types of atheists" (OP)

By Dan Merica, CNN "How many ways are there to disbelieve in God? At least six, according to a new study. Two researchers at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga found that atheists and agnostics run the range from vocally anti-religious activists to nonbelievers who still observe some religious tradi ...[text shortened]... re an atheist, which of these six describes you; or would an additional category 7) be required?[/b]
    I don't find myself in any of those. I am not versed in religious matters apart from the basics received from my christian education, and am not interested at all, it bores me because I personally find the whole god business so stupid.

I only wish men would be more interested in leading a truly good life, less selfish and in solidarity with their fellow humans, instead of all this hypocritical bla bla bla about god, jesus, creation and paradise.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 12:59
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    I don't find myself in any of those. I am not versed in religious matters apart from the basics received from my christian education, and am not interested at all, it bores me because I personally find the whole god business so stupid.

I only wish men would be more interested in leading a truly good life, less selfish and in solidarity with thei ...[text shortened]... ow humans, instead of all this hypocritical bla bla bla about god, jesus, creation and paradise.
    What she said...
  15. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 13:141 edit
    [b]"Behold, the six types of atheists" (OP)

By Dan Merica, CNN "How many ways are there to disbelieve in God? At least six, according to a new study. Two researchers at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga found that atheists and agnostics run the range from vocally anti-religious activists to nonbelievers who still observe some religious tradi ...[text shortened]... re an atheist, which of these six describes you; or would an additional category 7) be required?[/b]
    Well 1, 2 and 4 all argue about religion. I see no real distinction between them.
    I suspect all atheists are 3: they lack belief but remain open to relevant evidence to the contrary. That does not rule out them also being 1/2/4/6 at the same time.
    I don't think that 5's really exist: the moment they become affected by some aspect of religion, they will revert to one of the other 'types'
    6 is probably the majority of people in the UK: they might put down 'Christian' on the census and they may go to church at Christmas, but they don't actually believe any of it and neither do they even think about it.

I would place myself as a 1/2/3/4.

Penguin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree