Belief

Belief

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
04 Feb 09

Is it really important what a person believes as much as who they are ? Let's say you were a very good, honest, hard working father that happened to be a Hindhu, and you were killed, and arrived at the Pearly Gates.. According to most Christian thought I've heard he would be told sorry, but Hell will be the final reward for not becoming Christian. This would have to turn off most sane individuals. This type of thinking makes me run from Christianity. I sure don't have all the answers as to the specifics on eternity but this must be wrong or I don't understand what wrong is.

Cape Town

Moves
04 Feb 09

Originally posted by buckky
Is it really important what a person believes as much as who they are ? Let's say you were a very good, honest, hard working father that happened to be a Hindhu, and you were killed, and arrived at the Pearly Gates.. According to most Christian thought I've heard he would be told sorry, but Hell will be the final reward for not becoming Christian. This would ...[text shortened]... as to the specifics on eternity but this must be wrong or I don't understand what wrong is.
Many Christians I have talked to would disagree with you. I have even asked an Anglican priest that question and he told the parable of the sheep and the goats and said he believed that how you lived mattered more than what you believed.

AH

Moves
04 Feb 09
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
Many Christians I have talked to would disagree with you. I have even asked an Anglican priest that question and he told the parable of the sheep and the goats and said he believed that how you lived mattered more than what you believed.
…he believed that how you lived mattered more than what you believed….

-although, unfortunately, the exact opposite view appears to be expressed by just a few Christians in these forums. They have expressed/implied the opinion that I will burn in hell for not believing that there is a god ( specifically, the Christian god of course! 😛 ) and that Christian religion is the only “true” religion thus implying that the same goes if you are a non-Christian theist.
-I assume that this is only a tiny minority Christian view because most of them that I have known in real life don’t have any where near such extreme beliefs but I could be wrong.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
04 Feb 09

Is it really important what a person believes as much as who they are ? Let's say you were a very good, honest, hard working father that happened to be a Hindhu, and you were killed, and arrived at the Pearly Gates.. According to most Christian thought I've heard he would be told sorry, but Hell will be the final reward for not becoming Christian. This would ...[text shortened]... as to the specifics on eternity but this must be wrong or I don't understand what wrong is.
You don't understand what is going on. First, yes, Jesus is the only way to salvation. Everybody who hears the word of God and His requirements to enter into the Kingdom of God and obeys God's laws and worships Him through His son Jesus Christ will inherit Heaven. Those who hear the word of God and do not accept the gift of life, through faith in Jesus Christ, willfully rejects God's gift of life and choose to be separated from God for eternity...in the bowels of hell with Satan. Now, there are millions of people who have NEVER or NEVER will hear the words of Jesus who will die. These people will NOT automatically be forsaken by God. They will be given the chance to accept or reject God by denying His son, Jesus. Even after 1,000 years without Satan, there will be people who still reject Christ. This is the second and final judgement...all mankind will have had a chance, either in this life or the life to come, to either accept or reject Christ.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
04 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by dystoniac
... Now, there are millions of people who have NEVER or NEVER will hear the words of Jesus who will die. These people will NOT automatically be forsaken by God. They will be given the chance to accept or reject God by denying His son, Jesus.
Mind explaining this further?
How will the dead people be given a chance to accept or reject God ...

d

Break-twitching

Moves
04 Feb 09

Your Anglican Priest friend is wrong, and if he doesn't know it, he is also ignorant and is preaching lies to people who take his word for granted. The Bible clearly states that works without faith is completely useless in trying to enter the Kingdom of God. Yes, how one lives does matter to an extent; one must aspire to live as Jesus did-that is a true Christian; however, one must become as a child and believe and trusat the Lord in order to receive eternal life.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
04 Feb 09

Originally posted by Rajk999
Mind explaining this further?
How will the dead people be given a chance to accept or reject God ...
After Jesus returns to earth all people living, as well as all people who died since the beginning of man, will be judged. The dead, both saved and unsaved, shall arise from their graves (or wherever they may be) and face judgement. Those who accepted Jesus as Lord will inherit eternal life; those who died in their sins will be cast into hell and suffer eternally. Those who were ignorant of Jesus will be given the chance to accept or reject Christ. I don't know how this will take place, but it is the only logical means to judge people who were alive before Christ and those who never heard of him. There will be 1000 years without satan, then the second judgement which will include these latter folks. Sadly, even then, many people will still reject Jesus. The second judgement is the final judgement-afterward, Satan and all his followers will be cast into the lake of fire for all eternity. Jesus will reign in the universe. No more death, disease, wars, hatred; all of the maladies of man will no longer exist.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
04 Feb 09

... Those who were ignorant of Jesus will be given the chance to accept or reject Christ. I don't know how this will take place, but it is the only logical means to judge people who were alive before Christ and those who never heard of him. ....
The dead and ignorant of Christ will be raised ?
I will be interested in biblical support for this view, because its contrary to passages which claim that there are some who will remain dead and never be raised. You seem to think that ALL people will be raised, good, bad and indifferent.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
05 Feb 09

You don't understand what is going on. First, yes, Jesus is the only way to salvation. Everybody who hears the word of God and His requirements to enter into the Kingdom of God and obeys God's laws and worships Him through His son Jesus Christ will inherit Heaven. Those who hear the word of God and do not accept the gift of life, through faith in Jesus ...[text shortened]... ave had a chance, either in this life or the life to come, to either accept or reject Christ.
How ugly How hidious. How evil. That's the Christian doctrine for you. Down right ugly.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
05 Feb 09

Your Anglican Priest friend is wrong, and if he doesn't know it, he is also ignorant and is preaching lies to people who take his word for granted. The Bible clearly states that works without faith is completely useless in trying to enter the Kingdom of God. Yes, how one lives does matter to an extent; one must aspire to live as Jesus did-that is a true ...[text shortened]... r, one must become as a child and believe and trusat the Lord in order to receive eternal life.
Do you not realize how nut's that is ? How wrong headed it is ? How down right evil it is ? Others will rot in Hell because of not becoming a Christian is as wrong as anything out there. Maybe on some distant planet where people think completely different than the way I think that might make sense. Here on earth it makes no sense, and is totally evil. It seems to not be of God. I always thought God was a good guy, not some beast as you paint him. It's amazing that Christianity ever got off the ground.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Feb 09

The Bible clearly states that works without faith is completely useless in trying to enter the Kingdom of God.
In my experience the Bible never states anything clearly that it doesn't contract somewhere else.
Unless I am mistaken the parable of the sheep and the goats was a direct response by Jesus to the question 'who will go to heaven and why'. There is no mention of faith in the parable unless possibly for those who end up in hell.

Cape Town

Moves
05 Feb 09

Those who hear the word of God and do not accept the gift of life, through faith in Jesus Christ, willfully rejects God's gift of life and choose to be separated from God for eternity...in the bowels of hell with Satan.
I have never got a satisfactory answer from anyone who believes as you do regarding:
1. Whether hearing but not understanding or believing the word of God constitutes the hearing you are referring to.
2. Why you think I would knowingly reject God's gift.
3. Whether or not someone can truly be said to be choosing when he does not believe one of the options is available.
4. How any of your claim is compatible with the concept of a just and loving God.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
05 Feb 09

How ugly How hidious. How evil. That's the Christian doctrine for you. Down right ugly.
Yo, dude, nobody's twisting your arm to accept the truth. I suppose spending eternity separated from God isn't 'hidious', 'ugly', and 'evil'?
What do you want?

d

Break-twitching

Moves
05 Feb 09

Do you not realize how nut's that is ? How wrong headed it is ? How down right evil it is ? Others will rot in Hell because of not becoming a Christian is as wrong as anything out there. Maybe on some distant planet where people think completely different than the way I think that might make sense. Here on earth it makes no sense, and is totally evil. It seem ...[text shortened]... guy, not some beast as you paint him. It's amazing that Christianity ever got off the ground.
Well, fly a rocket to this planet you talk about if you don't like the truth. Nobody said you had to like it; you just have to decide where you will spend eternity.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
05 Feb 09

I have never got a satisfactory answer from anyone who believes as you do regarding:
1. Whether hearing but not understanding or believing the word of God constitutes the hearing you are referring to.
2. Why you think I would knowingly reject God's gift.
3. Whether or not someone can truly be said to be choosing when he does not believe one of the opti ...[text shortened]... s available.
4. How any of your claim is compatible with the concept of a just and loving God.
Answers to you questions can be found in the Bible. I challenge you to find them.