1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 02:24
    Do you ever ask yourself why you believe what you believe ? I find that the majority of things I believe are based on habit and I should reconsider most everything. I would like to push aside all my beliefs and start a new. A fresh clean mind with a willingness to perceive what comes my way without preconceived ideas about it all. Most of what we believe has to do with what family we came out of and what they think is reality. The people next door might have different ideas on things. Same is true with religion. Very few really seek out the Truth no matter where that might lead. It's more comfortable to join the religion of your culture or your family. Stepping out on your own can be scary but it has to happen if reality is to be had.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 02:36
    Originally posted by buckky
    Do you ever ask yourself why you believe what you believe ? I find that the majority of things I believe are based on habit and I should reconsider most everything. I would like to push aside all my beliefs and start a new. A fresh clean mind with a willingness to perceive what comes my way without preconceived ideas about it all. Most of what we believe has ...[text shortened]... our family. Stepping out on your own can be scary but it has to happen if reality is to be had.
    I think you would be dead very soon if you push aside "all" your beliefs.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 07:32
    Stepping out on your own can be scary but it has to happen if reality is to be had.
    The question I think many people would ask, is why do you want reality. Many theists admit that they would rather be deluded than accept an undesirable reality.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 08:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The question I think many people would ask, is why do you want reality. Many theists admit that they would rather be deluded than accept an undesirable reality.
    It is my experience that some atheist are the ones that
    say practically everything Christians believe in is an illusion.
    Even time in some manner is believed by them to be an
    illusion.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 09:411 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is my experience that some atheist are the ones that
    say practically everything Christians believe in is an illusion.
    Even time in some manner is believed by them to be an
    illusion.
    I am not talking about Christians at all (in my comments regarding time as an illusion). I am talking about all of us, myself included .
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 11:53
    Do you ever ask yourself why you believe what you believe ? I find that the majority of things I believe are based on habit and I should reconsider most everything. I would like to push aside all my beliefs and start a new. A fresh clean mind with a willingness to perceive what comes my way without preconceived ideas about it all. Most of what we believe has ...[text shortened]... our family. Stepping out on your own can be scary but it has to happen if reality is to be had.
    Yes , it's good to wipe your mind of all that is uneccesary from time to time. Those unwanted thoughts can weigh you down and misguide you. If you truly start a fresh , wih an honest approach to spirituality/life, with full confidence in your inner guide, you will be right.
    You will know when you are in harmony with the world around you when you have made the right choices. If you find your life disjointed and confusing I would say that you have something out of place,like a wrong premise.
    Confusion stems from trying to understand things with your brain alone.
    Disjointedness/disharmony is being out of step with your dharma.

Stepping out on your own can be really scary, but that's the only way we are going to reunite with our origonal essences. Being afraid is a good thing at times. I just hope the higher forces dont put too much on me so that I cant handle it.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 11:55
    Ridiculous, utter rubbish
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 11:59
    Are you reffering to the dichotomy of reality being undesireable for the ego or something else?

(In my view the closer we approach to seeing thngs how they really are, we must all suffer the dilution of our egos to understand the greater Self that is our true selves/nature.)
  9. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 13:00
    Or fully alive ?
  10. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 13:01
    Curiosity is my motavation.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Jun '11 15:55
    Curiosity is my motavation.
    And very admirable.

I just thought I would point out that many people seem to believe that delusion is preferable. (I am not one of those people).

A very common reaction to me telling people that I am atheist is statements along the lines of : 'but what stops you from doing horrendous things?' The implication being that they believe in God as a form of self control.
    Another common thing I hear from theists is "I would not believe in a God who does [insert some bad thing]". In this case the implication is that they would rather be deluded than know the truth if the truth is undesirable.
    Lastly, theists often argue that religion is desirable because of the moral values it supposedly provides. They imply that it is therefore good to promote religion regardless of its truth value.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '11 15:031 edit
    Do you ever ask yourself why you believe what you believe ? I find that the majority of things I believe are based on habit and I should reconsider most everything. I would like to push aside all my beliefs and start a new. A fresh clean mind with a willingness to perceive what comes my way without preconceived ideas about it all. Most of what we believe has our family. Stepping out on your own can be scary but it has to happen if reality is to be had.
    nm
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 01:20
    I am not talking about Christians at all (in my comments regarding time as an illusion). I am talking about all of us, myself included .
    I don't believe everything is an illusion, especially not time,
    since time waits for no man.
  14. Joined
    09 Mar '11
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 06:38
    i find i belive properly very few things, especially in terms of spirityuallity the way I see it I want to keep it that way because imi never closed of to ideas because i cant seem to decide what i belive in. it can be a bit annoying not being able to cling to anything and say :this is real i belive in it, but i think its a beteter state of mind;confusion.although i do give somthing probabilities e.g. its 99.9999999999% likely that a fundimentalist christain god does not exist, but i concede that it is not beyond possibility and that mabey, somehow there is and i wont ever say anyhting definititively.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Jun '11 06:44
    I don't believe everything is an illusion, especially not time,
    since time waits for no man.
    I don't think everything is an illusion either, not even time. I think the flow of time is an illusion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree