1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 02:19
    Wearing seat-belts or helmets doesn't mean wrecks stop occurring!
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 02:27
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Not sure what point you're trying to make and how this relates to my post. Can you elaborate?
    You said non-profits can't get it done. They can, and they do. There are many tax-payer made programs in place and working too.

What do you envision other than helping where help is needed.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist
    You said non-profits can't get it done. They can, and they do. There are many tax-payer made programs in place and working too.

What do you envision other than helping where help is needed.
    Try putting it in context of what I've been writing on the whole:
    <<If [food, clothing, shelter, health care, etc.] were being provided to every man, woman and child there wouldn't be any who do without any of those things. Yet there are many...The US has more than enough resources to make it a reality. The only thing stopping it is greed...The fact is that the non-profits can't get it done. If they could, they would have by now. >>
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 02:48
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Try putting it in context of what I've been writing on the whole:
    <<If [food, clothing, shelter, health care, etc.] were being provided to every man, woman and child there wouldn't be any who do without any of those things. Yet there are many...The US has more than enough resources to make it a reality. The only thing stopping it is greed...The fact is that the non-profits can't get it done. If they could, they would have by now. >>
    Your conclusion is not supported. For analogy, obviously governments exist, and yet that doesn't stop wars from occurring, therefore governments aren't relevant to the stoppage of wars?

Your thinking is narrow, limited, inaccurate. Kinda hateful. How many paychecks would YOU have to miss before you need help?
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 03:15
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I have no notion of divine law but that doesn't mean my morality is a personal preference. Far from it.

Unless you think a person's conscience is governed by personal preference? (As opposed to the way they were brought up).
    People can choose to reject the norms they were brought up with if they so prefer. Especially if they have no notion of absolute truth and if they believe moral truth is relative.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 03:22
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    A decent moral law abiding atheist will be disgusted by what goes on in many churches. If you remove the things you mention, then the teachings will go the other way.

Remove God from the equation and these church people will have to learn how to live normal lives of truthfulness, honesty, hard work, self reliance, integrity and a whole long list of virtues which are in the bible but which they ignore because they are saved.
    Remove God from the equation and you have no absolute standard for right and wrong or truth for that matter.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 03:40
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Your conclusion is not supported. For analogy, obviously governments exist, and yet that doesn't stop wars from occurring, therefore governments aren't relevant to the stoppage of wars?

Your thinking is narrow, limited, inaccurate. Kinda hateful. How many paychecks would YOU have to miss before you need help?
    What you've posted doesn't make any sense. How does it apply to what I've been posting?

If I had to guess, I'd say that you've misinterpreted my point. But if you don't plainly state your point and how it relates to what I've been posting, I'd only be guessing.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 07:00
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    You used the word “notion.” Here is your exact quote:

“I have no notion of divine law but that doesn't mean my morality is a personal preference. Far from it.”

That was the quote from you that I responded to.
    Looking back, prior to that post, 'notion' was introduced by Becker.

Same banana.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 07:02

Same banana.
    Wasn’t aware Becker’s use of a word required you to use it as well.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 07:07
    Wasn’t aware Becker’s use of a word required you to use it as well.
    I responded directly to this post by Becker:

'Without the notions of divine law and sin, morality becomes a matter of personal preference.'

Get a grip.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 07:08

Same banana.
    The word 'notions' was introduced by FMF in the OP. Hence my use of the word.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 07:12
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    The word 'notions' was introduced by FMF in the OP. Hence my use of the word.
    Yes, you're right.

Explain to Romans how we were both using a word in the context of the thread. He might listen to you. I think he struggles with 'hence my use of the word.'
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 07:22
    Ghost of a Duke: I have no notion of divine law but that doesn't mean my morality is a personal preference.

You studied theology and have no notion of divine law? Are you kidding?
    So when you saw atheist Ghost of a Duke referring to his atheism ~ "I have no notion of divine law" ~ you genuinely thought that he was unaware that religious people obey "laws" that they believe are "divine" laws, despite him having studied theology?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 07:30
    Originally posted by @fmf
    So when you saw atheist Ghost of a Duke referring to his atheism ~ "I have no notion of divine law" ~ you genuinely thought that he was unaware that religious people obey "laws" that they believe are "divine" laws, despite him having studied theology?
    Clearly not. He just saw an opportunity to poke fun at my degree, in a thoroughly disingenuous manner.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '18 07:37
    Clearly not. He just saw an opportunity to poke fun at my degree, in a thoroughly disingenuous manner.
    The way I see it, the only issue [with regard to this silliness on his part] is his integrity and not his ability to comprehend what you said and/or what it meant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree