1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 03:51
    Originally posted by amannion
    Darwin himself suggested it were possible: If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.
    This quote is often used by anti-science creationists to show that even Darwin himself doubted of his evolution theory. They hope that noone will actually read what Darwin wrote after this sentences.

Creationists have their agenda. They are not interested to debate openly to find the truth. An argument pointing to their twisted ideas is better, they think, if you hide some information, so they can fool anyone who don't know how to do their own research.

He continues "However I can find out no such case."
    Darwin was in no doubt whatsoever of his evolution theory.
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 05:14
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    This quote is often used by anti-science creationists to show that even Darwin himself doubted of his evolution theory. They hope that noone will actually read what Darwin wrote after this sentences.

Creationists have their agenda. They are not interested to debate openly to find the truth. An argument pointing to their twisted ideas is better, they t ...[text shortened]... ver I can find out no such case."
    Darwin was in no doubt whatsoever of his evolution theory.
    And neither am I.
    I merely use it to point out that Darwin - amongst others - recognised the sort of counter evidence that, if found, would demolish his arguments.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 09:31
    And neither am I.
    I merely use it to point out that Darwin - amongst others - recognised the sort of counter evidence that, if found, would demolish his arguments.
    So you think, as I do, that Darwin was right?
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 10:09
    So you think, as I do, that Darwin was right?
    Of course. But right in a scientific sense - which leaves open the possibility of being prved wrong.
    Not right in some sort of pseudo-religious - this must be believed at all costs - sense.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 10:46
    Of course. But right in a scientific sense - which leaves open the possibility of being prved wrong.
    Not right in some sort of pseudo-religious - this must be believed at all costs - sense.
    The theory of evolution is challenged. That's good.

If the theory of evolution can stand these challenges, then it get stronger.
    If the theory of creation can stand for challenges, then it should get stronger. It doesn't. It crumbles upon inspection. The hardest evidence they have is the bible, which is not any evidence at all.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 19:17
    The theory of evolution is challenged. That's good.

If the theory of evolution can stand these challenges, then it get stronger.
    If the theory of creation can stand for challenges, then it should get stronger. It doesn't. It crumbles upon inspection. The hardest evidence they have is the bible, which is not any evidence at all.
    Ps 56:11 & 146:3. Jer 17:5, 2Cor 1:9. If you even have a Bible you can look these up...
    Man has trusted man for centuries and look where it's got us today.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 19:48
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Ps 56:11 & 146:3. Jer 17:5, 2Cor 1:9. If you even have a Bible you can look these up...
    Man has trusted man for centuries and look where it's got us today.
    Many wars has been fought in the trust of god.
    Wars are being faught today in the name of god.
    Religion is not a nice story.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 04:05
    Many wars has been fought in the trust of god.
    Wars are being faught today in the name of god.
    Religion is not a nice story.
    Not all of it is nice, no. But haters of religion necer seem to point to the many good things religion has accomplished, such as the monasteries--one of the earliest bastions of learning. Religious entities are responsible for countless hospitals and many clinics, particular those who don't turn anyone away due to inability to pay. Religion has brought out the worst in people, unquestionably. It has also brought out the best in us. When tragedies strike, it is not just the Red Cross who goes to work trying to help the stricken; missionaries from 6 continents work tirelessly when calamaties such as earthquakes and tsunamis strike, doing their best to provide aid and comfort to those in need. I know, you don't have to be reiligious to do those things--but religious entities often have the resources and the logistics to get help where it's needed; I don't know if the National Association of Atheists have a sophisticated network.
    Our whole basis for the science of genetics is grounded in the work of Gregor Mendel, who discovered the dominant/recessive traits in plants he grew AT THE MONASTERY where he was serving.
    No, the story of religion has it's dark chapters. It also has it's shining moments. It would be nice to hear someone tell it like it is/was, warts and all. You know, kinda like the Bible does 😀
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 04:56
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Not all of it is nice, no. But haters of religion necer seem to point to the many good things religion has accomplished, such as the monasteries--one of the earliest bastions of learning. Religious entities are responsible for countless hospitals and many clinics, particular those who don't turn anyone away due to inability to pay. Religion has brought ...[text shortened]... ar someone tell it like it is/was, warts and all. You know, kinda like the Bible does 😀
    I should have written "Religion is not always a nice story."

Mendel would have been an evolutionist. Not all christians are creationists.

I know, everything is not black or white. It's only too easy to judge a whole group on the basis of a loudmouthed minority.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree