1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 05:45
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    this is why theism is hard. cuz God is watching and i have to worship him otherwise ill go to hell.
    Enjoying your free will I see.
  2. Montreal
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 14:35
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Oddly enough, the Bible never mentions that humans have free will. It could be that some humans are destined for Heaven and others for Hell - and there's nothing either of those groups can do about it.

I just googled a list:
    http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/free_will.html
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 15:15
    Being an atheist hasn't enhanced my life directly, why would it? It's just a denial of the existence of god, nothing more.

I live my life as I live my life. Fortunately, god has nothing to do with it.
    How is that fortunately?
    Kelly
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 15:28
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    How is that fortunately?
    Kelly
    I am not burdened by fear or cowed by threats of eternal damnation. I am responsible for my own actions and live my life by my own choices. I have precious little time to experience as much as I can, instead of holding the ridiculous belief that my reward lays beyond my own life, and so strive to better myself. I love, free of prescription and unfettered by guilt, all the many strange and different things in this world. When I die I will degrade once more into the set of matter that the universe consists of, furthering the life of others. I am fortunate to be, however unlikely my being is and do not waste it with thoughts of some magic placebo for life's questions, which I cannot hope to understand or prove the existence of.

I'd say that's pretty fortunate.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 15:37
    I am not burdened by fear or cowed by threats of eternal damnation. I am responsible for my own actions and live my life by my own choices. I have precious little time to experience as much as I can, instead of holding the ridiculous belief that my reward lays beyond my own life, and so strive to better myself. I love, free of prescription and unfettered ...[text shortened]... ch I cannot hope to understand or prove the existence of.

I'd say that's pretty fortunate.
    I'm not burdened by them either, so I was wondering why you felt that way?
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 15:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    Being a Christian I could write volumes about the benefits of my conversion, but instead I thought it would be interesting to hear from the other side. So have at it, how has being an atheist enhanced your life?
    The best thing about being an atheist is that you are really agnostic.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 16:15
    I'm not burdened by them either, so I was wondering why you felt that way?
    Kelly
    But you are, you just fail to see it. No problem, it's your choice.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 16:16
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    The best thing about being an atheist is that you are really agnostic.
    You have no understanding of what an atheist is.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 16:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    Do you find that you are better off because you find that men and women of faith are "weaker" for feeling that they need a higher power to lean on than those who do not?
    No. Some people of faith may be weaker than me, some stronger. Some use their faith and the strength they get from their religious community to do things I wouldn't have the courage to do, or to face difficulties I luckily don't have to face. That's great for them. I have to look for strength elsewhere. It's not a question of being better off. I didn't choose to be an agnostic (I am not an atheist) because of any benefits it would give me. I didn't choose it at all. I don't have a choice. I am incapable of believing in something which doesn't make sense to me. I had a "religious phase" when I was a teenager. I enjoyed the benefits, but I couldn't shut off my critical thinking forever. Once I had realized I was deceiving myself, there was no way back. I have found a meaningful and satisfying life outside religion, so I don't feel I miss out on anything, but I also don't think being agnostic makes life easier or better.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 17:44
    But you are, you just fail to see it. No problem, it's your choice.
    How does that work, I'm not concern about sin, I'm not concern about God's being upset, I enjoy God's grace and mercy which removes all fear about those things, and you are saying I'm burdened by fear? Either it is an issue or it isn't.
    Kelly
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 17:49
    How does that work, I'm not concern about sin, I'm not concern about God's being upset, I enjoy God's grace and mercy which removes all fear about those things, and you are saying I'm burdened by fear? Either it is an issue or it isn't.
    Kelly
    Nonsense, you clearly are concerned about both of those things because to upset god and to live in sin means being removed from his sight forever. That's what you fear more than anything, because you value god's love more than anything. Are you denying that?
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 20:19
    Some advantages of being an atheist are that you can have a lie in on Sundays (or Saturdays), you can eat what you want, and don't get RSI from all the kneeling.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 20:53
    Nonsense, you clearly are concerned about both of those things because to upset god and to live in sin means being removed from his sight forever. That's what you fear more than anything, because you value god's love more than anything. Are you denying that?
    No, I do not deny I value God's love. I also do not see how what you
    have done in your denying God changes anything with regard to guilt
    and fear either. You have made a choice you believes deals with those
    two things, if your choice actually does correctly deals with them
    remain to be seen.

I still don’t see your rational in denying God, since fear and guilt are
    really issues with or with out God, guilt is a consequence of bad
    actions that can happen with or without God, fear depending on how
    the word is used can mean many things, from great respect do to the
    power that could be exerted, or dread due to the unknown or some
    type of damage that could happen. I fear electrical power to, but I
    don’t deny it because of the respect of its power either.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 22:27
    lmao i was not being serious with my post
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 23:39
    No, I do not deny I value God's love. I also do not see how what you
    have done in your denying God changes anything with regard to guilt
    and fear either. You have made a choice you believes deals with those
    two things, if your choice actually does correctly deals with them
    remain to be seen.

I still don’t see your rational in denying God, since fear ...[text shortened]... ar electrical power to, but I
    don’t deny it because of the respect of its power either.
    Kelly
    You misunderstand. We both fear and have guilt about things which are appropriate to our everyday lives, everybody - atheist or theist - does, that much is undeniable. But you also carry the burden of guilt and fear before god, which I do not. It is my belief that this burden is unwarranted and counter productive to your potential as a human.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree