1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Mar '11 02:20
    Originally posted by souverein
    You are right, there is a difference. I would call your biblical meditation rather concentration and contemplation. There are more religions in east and west who use that technique to get sharp minded.

But quietening the mind (a first step in the process of meditation) is not practised for losing knowledge. Rather for getting control over your knowledg ...[text shortened]... scending your consciousness leads to a new field of awareness. Nothing valuable gets lost there.
    "Nothing valueable gets lost there". Yeah but going through the actual process leads one to think that they are losing all their "knowledge".
    Thats why some call it the "White Death". (The death of your individual mind)
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Mar '11 02:27
    I agree with souverein, biblical meditation is more like contamplation and chanting (repetitive prayer).
    Not that I dont acknowledge that there is genuine meditation amongst christians, its just that other religons seem to be more precise and straight forward in their explanation of their meditation techniques.
    They seem more simple and to the point, imo.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '11 02:341 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I agree with souverein, biblical meditation is more like contamplation and chanting (repetitive prayer).
    Not that I dont acknowledge that there is genuine meditation amongst christians, its just that other religons seem to be more precise and straight forward in their explanation of their meditation techniques.
    They seem more simple and to the point, imo.
    actually i think the opposite is true, there are no chants that one must chant, in fact, it is prohibited to a Christian, indeed , there is no external stimulus needed whatsoever, except solitude and a quite place. The goals are readily defined and specific, no ill defined and elusive concepts and/or attempts to transcend oneself, no stances or positions to be mastered, no terminology that needs to be learned, no teachers or gurus, no techniques, just you and your thoughts. I think its beautifully simple myself.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Mar '11 02:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually i think the opposite is true, there are no chants that one must chant, in fact, it is prohibited to a Christian, indeed , there is no external stimulus needed whatsoever, except solitude and a quite place. The goals are readily defined and specific, no ill defined and elusive concepts and/or attempts to transcend oneself, no stances or posi ...[text shortened]... hers or gurus, no techniques, just you and your thoughts. I think its beautifully simple myself.
    There is much importance placed on silence in many eastern traditions and also "speaking rightly", which to me means not crapping on when you dont need to.

I dont care what you say, when I here a christian muttering prayers under his/her breath it is not unlike the near inaudible chants of Krsna devotees.

Seems , if you look into enough, that there are many more similarities than differences between chrsitian and "eastern" meditation. Although I still think the hindus explain it better
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '11 03:511 edit
    There is much importance placed on silence in many eastern traditions and also "speaking rightly", which to me means not crapping on when you dont need to.

I dont care what you say, when I here a christian muttering prayers under his/her breath it is not unlike the near inaudible chants of Krsna devotees.

Seems , if you look into enough, that ther ...[text shortened]... ween chrsitian and "eastern" meditation. Although I still think the hindus explain it better
    what is it about the practice of chanting invocations being prohibited to Christians that yet fails you? i have provided reasons as to not only what Christian meditation actually is, what its goals and aspirations are and how it may be practised, I suspect, that's its sheer simplicity and lack of mysticism make it less than appealing for those who wish to transcend themselves, enlighten themselves, broaden their horizon, relax or whatever other purpose 'eastern mediation', claims to proffer on the adherent. As yet it not entirely clear what its supposed to do, indeed, this is my main gripe.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Mar '11 03:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what is it about the practice of chanting invocations being prohibited to Christians that yet fails you? i have provided reasons as to not only what Christian meditation actually is, what its goals and aspirations are and how it may be practised, I suspect, that's its sheer simplicity and lack of mysticism make it less than appealing for those who w ...[text shortened]... dherent. As yet it not entirely clear what its supposed to do, indeed, this is my main gripe.
    Your point was taken. The simplicity has been noticed from both sides of the fence from me.
    Still, you dont see many publications on simple, practicle meditation from christian scources. Not from my end, anyway.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '11 04:071 edit
    Your point was taken. The simplicity has been noticed from both sides of the fence from me.
    Still, you dont see many publications on simple, practicle meditation from christian scources. Not from my end, anyway.
    Actually there are some reasons why Christians dont practice it, but they are all ill conceived and without basis. These include thinking that its a part of another religious practice, that its associated with Hinduism for example, that you leave your mind open to influence that may be unwholesome, that its difficult to do, that you need equipment and training etc etc I cannot state this strongly enough though, if you are a Christian, the only way to get the knowledge of Christ to penetrate to your heart and motivate you to be Christ like in practice is through meditating on his example. Reading about it is not enough, you must reflect/meditate upon it. There are hordes of Biblical scriptures which highlight this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree