1. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 09:47
    Why is it that when a Muslim does something bad it is blamed on Islam and he is referred to as an Islamist but when a Christian does something bad nobody ever says anything about Christianity? Is it because the media is biased?
    Many of the major "bad people" in the world in the last century were religious and claimed that their actions were supported by his religion and many of them were Christian but nobody seems to blame Christianity.
    Something similar applies to communism. When a communist country does something bad then all communists take the blame but if a democracy does something bad then nobody points the finger at democracy.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 09:551 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why is it that when a Muslim does something bad it is blamed on Islam and he is referred to as an Islamist but when a Christian does something bad nobody ever says anything about Christianity? Is it because the media is biased?
    Many of the major "bad people" in the world in the last century were religious and claimed that their actions were supported by ...[text shortened]... ke the blame but if a democracy does something bad then nobody points the finger at democracy.
    The answer is simple: Ethnocentrism.

Go to a communist country and you'll find people blaming capitalism, go to an Islamic country and you'll find similar symmetries. People prefer to place the blame on traits that are not common with their own.

You, by (apparently) trying to blame Christianity, are committing the same mistake of blaming groups for the actions of individuals.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 10:05
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You, by (apparently) trying to blame Christianity, are committing the same mistake of blaming groups for the actions of individuals.
    Actually I wasn't blaming Christianity but rather hoping to point out that blaming terrorism on Islam is wrong and more importantly blaming all Muslims for the actions of a few is also wrong.

To give an example of the result of such bias, I have seen a number of posters on this site claim that the conflict in Darfur is Muslims persecuting Christians, yet every reference I can find says that the conflict consists of Muslims on both sides. The media also insists on saying "Islamist Rebels" or "Islamist Regime" at every opportunity but never "Christian Rebels" or "Christian Regime". I suspect that most of those involved in the conflict in the Congo would claim to be Christian but religion was never mentioned as far as I can remember. And who can remember what religions were involved in the Rwandan genocide?
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 10:23
    Actually I wasn't blaming Christianity but rather hoping to point out that blaming terrorism on Islam is wrong and more importantly blaming all Muslims for the actions of a few is also wrong.

To give an example of the result of such bias, I have seen a number of posters on this site claim that the conflict in Darfur is Muslims persecuting Christians, y ...[text shortened]... an remember. And who can remember what religions were involved in the Rwandan genocide?
    I fully agree, I'm just bothered that your counter-examples seem to be all related with Christianity.

I don't think we should ask why the same mistake isn't done with Christianity in Christian countries but perhaps the abstract discussion that I would prefer wouldn't be as effective.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 10:30
    I fully agree, I'm just bothered that your counter-examples seem to be all related with Christianity.

I don't think we should ask why the same mistake isn't done with Christianity in Christian countries but perhaps the abstract discussion that I would prefer wouldn't be as effective.
    Well do you have any other examples? I tried looking up the Tamil Tigers on Wikkipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_Eelam
    to see if they are Hindu but can find no mention of their religion. If they were Muslim, it would be splashed all over the page.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 10:38
    The answer is simple: Ethnocentrism.

Go to a communist country and you'll find people blaming capitalism, go to an Islamic country and you'll find similar symmetries. People prefer to place the blame on traits that are not common with their own.

I agree in part, however, one must remember that Islam is extremly political in nature. For example, for many Islamists, a government not based in Islam is unthinkable. Thus the sins of the state are transmitted to Allah, much like that of Christiandom when theocracies existed in the days of old. In fact, anything that can be negativly said about Christianity is quickly referenced to the Crusades/inquisitions etc. Islam has not learned this lesson and perhaps, may never learn this lesson.

Also, you have terrorist organizations who point to Islam for their inspiration. If you had "Christian" based terrorist organizations then I suppose they would be getting just as much attention, if not more so.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 10:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    Also, you have terrorist organizations who point to Islam for their inspiration. If you had "Christian" based terrorist organizations then I suppose they would be getting just as much attention, if not more so.
    As I said, there have been plenty of Christian terrorists who even cite Christianity as justification.

The reason I came up with this thread was a news item talking about apartheid in the church here in South Africa and it just reminded me that nobody ever talks about the fact that many racists justify their beliefs with their religion (Christianity) but when a Muslim justifies his, then his religion is what gets highlighted.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 10:542 edits
    As I said, there have been plenty of Christian terrorists who even cite Christianity as justification.

The reason I came up with this thread was a news item talking about apartheid in the church here in South Africa and it just reminded me that nobody ever talks about the fact that many racists justify their beliefs with their religion (Christianity) but when a Muslim justifies his, then his religion is what gets highlighted.
    Also consider the teaching of Christ/Mohammad. If one kills in the name of Christ he or she is clearly violating his mandate to love your enemies given by Christ. However, those in Islam have their beliefs based in the teaching of Mohammad who routinely killed for Allah. For example, when they came for Christ his disciple Peter drew a sword to defend him but Christ told him that he who lives by the sword dies by the sword and told him to put it away. Can you see Mohammad doing this? I don't. Especially in light of the history of Mohammad that show him conquering with the sword.Therefore, I think the propensity to base violence in the teachings of Mohammad are far greater than the teachings of Christ. For example, if you were to compare and contrast terrorist organizations today I think that Islam is the clear winner.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 11:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    Also consider the teaching of Christ/Mohammad. If one kills in the name of Christ he or she is clearly violating his mandate to love your enemies given by Christ. However, those in Islam have their beliefs based in the teaching of Mohammad who routinely killed for Allah.
    You are being selective. The old testament is filled with examples of Jews killing for God.

Therefore, I think the propensity to base violence in the teachings of Mohammad are far greater than the teachings of Christ. For example, if you were to compare and contrast terrorist organizations today I think that Islam is the clear winner.
    But does any of that excuse the tendency to blame all 'wrong' actions by Muslims on the religion while not doing the same for Christianity. We all know that the Iraq war has killed thousands of innocent people and that Bush and many of his supporters are Christian but when did you last see a headline which read "Christian Leader, George Bush ..." or "Christian armies in Iraq ..."
    It is true that many terrorist organizations in the world today are Muslim and in the past there were communist ones but they hardly hold the title for worst atrocities, nor do they reflect the behavior of the majority of Muslims.
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 12:183 edits
    Many of the major "bad people" in the world in the last century were religious and claimed that their actions were supported by ...[text shortened]... ke the blame but if a democracy does something bad then nobody points the finger at democracy.
    Do you want my opinion?

Because Islam is the only one truth, so it is the most oppressed religion on earth. It should look like a monister to every one.

Islam contradict the secular objectives of the people of power on earth. That is why it should look like evil.

Millions of people died on earth in the last century by the hands of systems mainly secular, and with people embracing Christianity , but this all was forgotten. That was not considered evil. And Islam,(Muslims) has no role in any of them. Islam was a way of all of that , and Muslims was not thinking about it.

But now, and suddenly Islam became the source of evil on earth. That is very stupid and disgusting. And I'm getting very tired of defending and repeating myself, while no one listens.

I know you don't trust my words, but it is up to you. You picked and choosed from my words last time, and you can do what ever you want!!!!

Just a simple word to Whody:

You continue making claims without a proof, and you keep repeating yourself. For 100 times you say that Prophet Mohammed encourage killing others, and I replayed 100 times where did he said that. But of course it is not in your agenda to search for the truth, or correct your views. You only care about showing how Christianity is better than Islam, so go for it?

EDIT: Muslims were being exterminated from Bosnia by the hands of Christian groups, but no one called that Terrorism.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 12:311 edit
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    Because Islam is the only one truth, so it is the most oppressed religion on earth. It should look like a monister to every one. .
    Why do:
    1. So many people believe that their religion/race is the most oppressed in the world?
    2. That being oppressed is evidence that they are right / holy.

Surely the implication is that either:
    God likes his favorites to be oppressed.
    or
    God doesn't or cant do anything about it.

I seem to remember the Jews of the old testament having a similar oppression complex despite wiping out their neighbors (and taking all their virgins) on a regular basis.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 13:54
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    EDIT: Muslims were being exterminated from Bosnia by the hands of Christian groups, but no one called that Terrorism.
    In Bosnia, nobody called "terrorism" the "extermination" of Christians by the hands of Muslims groups, either.

So, my advice to you is don't be as ethnocentric as the ones you accuse. It makes you sound like a hypocrite.
  13. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 16:20
    Religion is blamed when people claims to be acting in accordance with their religion. If a man of any religion murders his wife so he can marry his girlfriend without paying alimony, his religion won't be mentioned. But if he does so blaming her for shaming him according to his religion's guidelines or because his religion doesn't allow divorce, then his religion is pertinent because it was part of his motivation and it'll be named.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 16:461 edit
    Yes, media is biased around the world since they are not laying the
    blame on people being hateful, instead they attempt to push the
    blame off on something else like a belief system, a weapon, and
    so on. Every belief system ever there is/was has those
    believers/members that do bad things, the common trait within all of
    them is people we are not the amoral things the media protrays us as.
    Kelly
  15. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 17:10
    Nobody sais anything bad about Christianity becuase Christians want to be liike God and strive to be perfect even though were not ,but we know that were forgiven by an almighty God. So when we ask for forgiveness It is like we never sinned. Even though we did. a.k.a. God forgets we sinned because we believe that he died for us and he already paid for our sin at the cross.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree