1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 12:05
    Anyone get tired of their religion and go apostate on it?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 12:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Nope, just you. 😵
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 14:46
    I did, over a decade ago. I was raised as an evangelical christian. I am now an atheist.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 15:55
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I did, over a decade ago. I was raised as an evangelical christian. I am now an atheist.
    Testimony of why please.

Thanks in advance.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 16:27
    Raised C of E but cannot remember a time of conviction and realised I was Agnostic as soon as I became aware of the concept.

I feel it is important to mention that I enjoyed my experience as a child going to Sunday school and even now I am nostalgic for my little church as a building full of fond memories.
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 17:08
    orthodox->deist->agnostic*

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
    relevant portion quoted with my personal edit stressed, none of the other descriptions apply.

... agnosticism is the view that humanity does not currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the acceptance that deities either do or do not exist.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 17:301 edit
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit

relevant portion quoted with my personal edit stressed, none of the other descriptions apply.

... agnosticism is the view that humanity does not currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the acceptance that deities either do or do not exist.
    Sounds pretty rational to me. For instance, how can a mere human just categorically say there is no such thing as a god. That would be strong atheism if I have my spectrum right. But it is a big universe and we have not seen a whole lot of it, some telescope work but nothing up close except in our own solar system, where there does not appear to any kind of deity here🙂 It seems to me what we can say is there does not appear to be an alleged deity that is trying to make some kind of connection with humans.

Said deity could have already made a connection with Dolphins and such but till we can communicate with them intelligently, we have no way of knowing Dolphin theology.

Said alleged deity has for sure made no connection with the human race.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 18:07
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Testimony of why please.

Thanks in advance.
    So many reasons.

The nagging questions that were never answered.
    The lack of any personal experiences with the divine.
    Curiosity - so many things were forbidden; various music, TV and movies; study of certain fields of science, etc.
    The overbearing, ridiculously stringent 'moral' code - no lustful thoughts, no swearing, no women speaking in church, or teaching, etc. along with the idea that you were damned if you broke even the smallest commandment one time - a ridiculous, unattainable, unrealistic ideal of perfection.
    The burden of the expectation to share the good news and convert others, especially when my own misgivings began to increase.
    The active discouragement of any interpretations of scripture that differed from the official church dogma. The growing conviction that many things I saw were being faked, like speaking in tongues; and the fact that I faked speaking in tongues because of pressure to do it, and everyone bought it.
    The lack of miracles today.
    The idea that it was just to excuse someone of great wrongdoing just because they prayed a simple prayer, while condemning a mostly-good person because they had not.

Once I moved away from home, and the social pressure to remain in church was gone, that was it.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 18:15
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit

I am happy with that description, and it leaves me free to use my intellect so as to judge the evidence for and against any events assigned to the hand of an alleged deity.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 18:43
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    So many reasons.

The nagging questions that were never answered.
    The lack of any personal experiences with the divine.
    Curiosity - so many things were forbidden; various music, TV and movies; study of certain fields of science, etc.
    The overbearing, ridiculously stringent 'moral' code - no lustful thoughts, no swearing, no women speaking in church, ...[text shortened]... nce I moved away from home, and the social pressure to remain in church was gone, that was it.
    I always thought that speaking in tongues was faked. It sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me and not like a real language, as is told about in the Holy Bible. There are preachers on Television putting on a show by speaking gibberish and no one can tell what they are saying. I am sure God will give them their reward. I have went through very much the same experiences you had. I did not want to sin, but I also wanted to know the truth. I did not want to believe in some fake religion. However, now I feel I know much of the truth, not all, and as Jesus would say, "the truth has set me free."
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 18:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I always thought that speaking in tongues was faked. It sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me and not like a real language, as is told about in the Holy Bible. There are preachers on Television putting on a show by speaking gibberish and no one can tell what they are saying. I am sure God will give them their reward. I have went through very much the s ...[text shortened]... I feel I know much of the truth, not all, and as Jesus would say, "the truth has set me free."
    RJH your back, did you miss us?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 18:481 edit
    I went from the youthful total faith as a Roman Catholic toward non-belief starting at about age 14. During parts of my life I would call myself an agnostic and at other times a strong atheist. Now I don't feel that any label really fits, except non-theist (in cases where the deity is asserted to be a separate individual person.) I think a defining property of a true deity would be ineffability. Now, when I look inside myself, I find I have no faith or belief in any such deity as "existing," and am OK with that. I don't have any particular reasons or justifications in mind, for what I am now. I am interested in theism as a part of human culture, and am interested in philosophical issues that it seeks to address, like morality and meaning.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 19:112 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    I went from the youthful total faith as a Roman Catholic toward non-belief starting at about age 14. During parts of my life I would call myself an agnostic and at other times a strong atheist. Now I don't feel that any label really fits, except non-theist (in cases where the deity is asserted to be a separate individual person.) I think a defining property of d am interested in philosophical issues that it seeks to address, like morality and meaning.
    How do you account for the information language in the DNA of living cells? Do you just chalk it up to the religion of evolution and don't think anymore about it?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 19:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    RJH your back, did you miss us?
    I run out of comments on the chess forum and its Saturday and I am bored waiting for someone to move. I don't intend to come back and start creating new treads, if that is what you mean. But I haven't been run off from RHP as yet. However, I was told I should go play on chess.com for they have a program that checks for cheaters. I am thinking about doing it.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jul '12 20:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I run out of comments on the chess forum and its Saturday and I am bored waiting for someone to move. I don't intend to come back and start creating new treads, if that is what you mean. But I haven't been run off from RHP as yet. However, I was told I should go play on chess.com for they have a program that checks for cheaters. I am thinking about doing it.
    I play on chess.com, blitz chess, 10 minute games, let me know if you join and ill give
    you a whuopin for old times sake.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree