1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 08:012 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Well, well, what a surprise. Silicon Ron is back. 😴
    Coincidentaly just before his RJ's leaving thread, and 'tim the sock-puppet's' hurrah for RJH disappear off of page 1
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 08:25
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    orthodox->deist->agnostic*

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
    relevant portion quoted with my personal edit stressed, none of the other descriptions apply.

... agnosticism is the view that humanity does not currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the acceptance that deities either do or do not exist.
    Do you think this description can also be used with regards to believing/not believing in the existence of a talking pancake?
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 22:43
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Do you think this description can also be used with regards to believing/not believing in the existence of a talking pancake?
    the term "believe" does not appear in that description.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 22:591 edit
    the term "believe" does not appear in that description.
    That may be a distinction without a difference, practically speaking. The question GKR asks can easily be altered as needed.

Edit: Perhaps there are reasons to neither accept that or believe that such a pancake exists.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Jul '12 23:25
    Are you claiming to know for a fact that in the vastness of the cosmos there are no talking pancakes?
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 03:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    That may be a distinction without a difference, practically speaking. The question GKR asks can easily be altered as needed.

Edit: Perhaps there are reasons to neither accept that or believe that such a pancake exists.
    indeed, the question can be altered. if GKR can present an argument for the existence of a talking pancake, i will consider if there is sufficient rational grounds to justify accepting the idea.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 05:33
    indeed, the question can be altered. if GKR can present an argument for the existence of a talking pancake, i will consider if there is sufficient rational grounds to justify accepting the idea.
    Your whole description was based on the assumption that there are no arguments for the existence or lack of existence of god.

I merely replaced the word "God" with "talking pancake". And suddenly I'm required to present arguments. Of course I have none. The question remains though (I'll rephrase, but the question is essentially the same):

Does humanity currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the acceptance that talking pancakes either do or do not exist?
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 06:21
    Your whole description was based on the assumption that there are no arguments for the existence or lack of existence of god.
    my description is based on no such assumptions.

I merely replaced the word "God" with "talking pancake". And suddenly I'm required to present arguments. Of course I have none. The question remains though (I'll rephrase, but the question is essentially the same):

you're not required to present any arguments. my reply to JS357 was rhetorical.

Does humanity currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the acceptance that talking pancakes either do or do not exist?

there currently exists sufficient rational grounds to justify the acceptance that pancakes do not talk, unless they happen to be animated pancakes.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 09:13
    i was raised as a catholic, im not sure i had a choice as nobody asked. my decision that i thought god didnt exist was a gradual thing from the ages of around 8-12 as i began to realize santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny didnt exist, god was the next natural progression.

ive always wondered that if god does really exist, did i at some point have the feelings of experiencing god like many of the christians on here talk about. i dont remember feeling any different, if i didnt have these feelings then why not?
  10. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    23 Jul '12 18:05
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    i was raised as a catholic, im not sure i had a choice as nobody asked. my decision that i thought god didnt exist was a gradual thing from the ages of around 8-12 as i began to realize santa, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny didnt exist, god was the next natural progression.

ive always wondered that if god does really exist, did i at some point ...[text shortened]... talk about. i dont remember feeling any different, if i didnt have these feelings then why not?
    santa does exist. he used to come by my house. i stopped being a "good boy" so he doesn't come by anymore 🙁
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    26 Jul '12 15:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I always thought that speaking in tongues was faked. It sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me and not like a real language, as is told about in the Holy Bible. There are preachers on Television putting on a show by speaking gibberish and no one can tell what they are saying. I am sure God will give them their reward. I have went through very much the s ...[text shortened]... I feel I know much of the truth, not all, and as Jesus would say, "the truth has set me free."
    "I always thought that speaking in tongues was faked. It sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me and ....

.... I have went "

I have went?

Sure sounds like gibberish to me too! 😛

-m. 😀
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 01:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Anyone get tired of their religion and go apostate on it?
    “With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older,
    I tripped the merry-go-round—
    With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin,
    the calliope crashed to the ground…”

—Manfred Mann’s Earth Band
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jul '12 21:30
    Originally posted by mikelom
    [b]"I always thought that speaking in tongues was faked. It sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me and ....

.... I have went "

I have went?

Sure sounds like gibberish to me too! 😛

-m. 😀[/b]
    Now we have another wanna be English teacher on here. How distressing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree