1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 17:092 edits
    Recently news commentator Brent Hume said publically that he thought that Tiger Woods should consider Christianity for his ills, namely because it is a religion that offers forgiveness and reconciliation. Of course, many were offended, especially for some of his comments about Buddhism not having much to offer the man in this regard. So it got me thinking, what religions offer forgiveness and grace and, if they do, how?
  2. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 17:38
    Well, I'm not going to go through specifics, but a lot of other beliefs and religions teach forgiveness and grace amongst one another. Finding that union with one another is the ideal connection with god/spirituality/etc. It's a more dynamic role in the sense that it should be worked on with each other rather than appealed for to a higher deity. Of course, I understand a lot of Christianity teaches similar practices but basically just says its out of the ability of man to mend one's self and nature- an excuse if you ask me.
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 17:59
    It failed to teach Brit Hume compassion.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 19:09
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    It failed to teach Brit Hume compassion.
    Ouch!! Please elaborate.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 19:101 edit
    Originally posted by ua41
    Well, I'm not going to go through specifics, but a lot of other beliefs and religions teach forgiveness and grace amongst one another. Finding that union with one another is the ideal connection with god/spirituality/etc. It's a more dynamic role in the sense that it should be worked on with each other rather than appealed for to a higher deity. Of course, I un ...[text shortened]... st says its out of the ability of man to mend one's self and nature- an excuse if you ask me.
    Actually I was wanting specifics. :'(

Please, if nothing else, do it for Tiger!!
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 19:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually I was wanting specifics. :'(

Please, if nothing else, do it for Tiger!!
    The goal should be for Tiger to be a better Buddhist and not a Christian.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 23:00
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Maybe his goal should be to love his wife.

But now it appears it's too late for that.

It's a shame.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 23:241 edit
    Originally posted by josephw

It's a shame.
    How do you know he does not love his wife?

Edit -- and why is it too late?
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 04:52
    Recently news commentator Brent Hume said publically that he thought that Tiger Woods should consider Christianity for his ills, namely because it is a religion that offers forgiveness and reconciliation. Of course, many were offended, especially for some of his comments about Buddhism not having much to offer the man in this regard. So it got me thinking, what religions offer forgiveness and grace and, if they do, how?
    The Jewish daily prayers include prayers for forgiveness. Clearly they believe that God in his chesed (grace, loving-kindness) is capable of forgiving.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 05:321 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    The Jewish daily prayers include prayers for forgiveness. Clearly they believe that God in his chesed (grace, loving-kindness) is capable of forgiving.
    Thanks, any other religions like this? Anyone?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 05:33
    But if the man is looking for forgiveness and reconciliation, what does Budhism have to offer in this regard?
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 06:00
    But if the man is looking for forgiveness and reconciliation, what does Budhism have to offer in this regard?
    The only Buddhism that I really know is Zen. There is no god to either forgive or condemn. You can seek forgiveness and reconciliation from the ones that you’ve harmed. The guiding ethical principle is compassion, so it is not just about receiving forgiveness, but seeking to repair the harm done to other—when possible.

There is also karma, and the opportunity to repair “bad” karma acquired from wrongdoing by acts of compassion—in this life-round or another (reincarnation). TerrierJack can probably speak to this better than I can.

Basically, the man you refer to would be seeking to do better, to act more compassionately, to undo harm where possible--and the enlightenment that allows one to do so.

A really good book, that offers perspectives from people in different religions is Simon Wiesenthaler’s The Sunflower. I remember finding Harold Kushner’s little essay in that book to be particularly helpful; but there are also contributions by the Dalai Lama, and a range of Christians.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 07:55
    Originally posted by josephw

It's a shame.
    You don't think she had something to do with it? (just a thought)
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 13:02
    Ouch!! Please elaborate.
    I won't speak for TerrierJack, but it seems that Hume fell in to the trap that so many Christians fall in to in their thinking, that is, it is all about sexual sin and the need to be forgiven for it. From a Buddhist perspective on suffering, wouldn't it be appropiate to look at maybe how he has too many "attachments" in his life that may be even beyond women? Is this not an issue that maybe Christians could learn from?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '10 04:02
    I won't speak for TerrierJack, but it seems that Hume fell in to the trap that so many Christians fall in to in their thinking, that is, it is all about sexual sin and the need to be forgiven for it. From a Buddhist perspective on suffering, wouldn't it be appropiate to look at maybe how he has too many "attachments" in his life that may be even beyond women? Is this not an issue that maybe Christians could learn from?
    Too many attachments in his life? Forgive me brother kirksey but this sound awefully self centered. He had a wife and two kids in the mix. This is not just about Tiger. He had obligations and comittments that he fell woefully short of.

Are you saying then that Tiger does not need "forgiveness"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree