1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 01:17
    Is there anything about either of these that precludes one from practicing and believing the tenets of both? Can a good Chrisitan also practice Buddhism? Can a Buddhist believe in the triune God of the Bible?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 01:47
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Is there anything about either of these that precludes one from practicing and believing the tenets of both? Can a good Chrisitan also practice Buddhism? Can a Buddhist believe in the triune God of the Bible?
    I think Buddhism is more compatible with atheism.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 01:48
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I think Buddhism is more compatible with atheism.
    Please explain.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 01:551 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Please explain.
    Buddhism has no creator god. Despite incorporating a variety of lesser dieties over the years, it is at its heart a non-theistic religion.
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 03:29
    Buddhism and Christianity share much in common.

As I understand it, The Four Nobel Truths of Buddhism are roughly as follows.

1. This world and all life is suffering.

2. The cause of our suffering is desire, in particular attachment to material things, attachment to this world.

3. We all will eventually end our suffering by realizing 1 & 2 and turning away from the materials things and attitudes of this world.

4. Once we achieve this, we may start on the eight fold path to enlightenment and ultimate happiness. The eight fold path is roughly…

Right Understanding
    Right Thought
    Right Speech
    Right Action
    Right Livelihood
    Right Effort
    Right Mindfulness
    Right Concentration

Compare these to the messages in the Bible.

1. Matt 18:7 Woe unto the world because of offenses! For it must needs be that offenses come: but woe to that man by whom offense cometh!

2. “Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven, and all things shall be added unto you. Do not store up your treasures here on earth, but store them up in Heaven.” (Paraphrased)

3. Haggai 1:5 Now this is what the LORD Almighty says: "Give careful thought to your ways.”

Psalms 1:6 For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

I Cor. 15:22-23 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn...

4. Matt 5:48 Be yee therefore perfect, even as your father which is in heaven is perfect.

The law of karma is also described in the book of Galatians.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

To answer your question, it would be impossible for a Christian to practice Christianity and not practice Buddhism to some degree, and vice versa.

Christians tend to focus more on Jesus and the external. Buddhists look to themselves for the truth. This doesn’t have to be a difference though. Based on my interpretation of the scripture Christians are supposed to find Jesus within themselves.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 03:301 edit
    Buddhism has no creator god. Despite incorporating a variety of lesser dieties over the years, it is at its heart a non-theistic religion.
    Do you find anything attractive in Buddhism ? (Besides the fact it has no creator-god)
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 05:131 edit
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Buddhism and Christianity share much in common.

As I understand it, The Four Nobel Truths of Buddhism are roughly as follows.

1. This world and all life is suffering.

2. The cause of our suffering is desire, in particular attachment to material things, attachment to this world.

3. We all will eventually end our suffering by real ...[text shortened]... d on my interpretation of the scripture Christians are supposed to find Jesus within themselves.
    Heck , thats not true enlightment .True Enlightenment comes only when one understands the Two-fold path
    1)everyone is an @sshole
    2)everyone includes self, too
  8. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 05:37
    Yes.
    And Shintoism too.
    All under the guidance of Confusionism, the one True Faith.

Anyways, sure; some Japanese people are Christian yet hold to more (for them) traditional views. Must be an East Asian thing: I dated a Christian girl from Hong Kong who believed in ghosts and ancestor-worship.

Yes, some people do hold two (apparently) different views at the same time.😛😛
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 05:38
    Read Living Buddha, Living Christ, by Thich Nhat Hanh

Nemesio
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 05:39
    I think (and I could be wrong) that there are like 100 different kinds of Buddhism.
    Some have a creator-god-like thing, some don't.

I think.

Nemesio
  11. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 05:43
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I think (and I could be wrong) that there are like 100 different kinds of Buddhism.
    Some have a creator-god-like thing, some don't.

I think.

Nemesio
    Buddhism (mostly) doesn't require a god.
    It's pretty open.
    More of a philosophy than a religion, but it's hard to nail down.
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 05:44
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Yes.
    And Shintoism too.

Anyways, sure; some Japanese people are Christian yet hold to more (for them) traditional views. Must be an East Asian thing: I dated a Christian girl from Hong Kong who believed in ghosts and ancestor-worship.

Whoooooooooooooooppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! A convertee!!!! May ye all see the way of our Lord Bunkum!!!

For those of you still in the dark, I shall show ye the way of light;

http://www.cyber-pope.blogspot.com/
  13. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 05:48
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Whoooooooooooooooppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! A convertee!!!! May ye all see the way of our Lord Bunkum!!!

For those of you still in the dark, I shall show ye the way of light;

http://www.cyber-pope.blogspot.com/
    🙂
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 05:55
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Yes.
    And Shintoism too.

Actually, apart from Confusionism I'm not really religious (as I'm sure you know).

If I was I reckon Shintoism would be for me. It's a bit more relaxed then many religions, and they've got kick-ass shrines too. It's nice, people donate their time to the upkeep of the shrine and they're beautifull places - that's what I'd want my religion to be about...
  15. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 06:03
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Actually, apart from Confusionism I'm not really religious (as I'm sure you know).

If I was I reckon Shintoism would be for me. It's a bit more relaxed then many religions, and they've got kick-ass shrines too. It's nice, people donate their time to the upkeep of the shrine and they're beautifull places - that's what I'd want my religion to be about...
    In Japan, I think (not sure about this mind you) they pick the religion appropriate for the situation.
    Some religions are better for say, funerals, than others.
    Not at all sure about China, but what I think is that is that a general trend in East Asia is: get invaded, adapt your religion to the new boss. Move on. Very practical.
    *meh*

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree