1. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 13:361 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    There's a difference between marketing oneself and thinking it is your duty to make converts.
    Do Buddhists think they have no duty to reduce the suffering of others, to show others how to reduce their own suffering? That is their message (or "Gospel" ) after all.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 13:41
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Do Buddhists think they have no duty to reduce the suffering of others, to show others how to reduce their own suffering? That is their message (or "Gospel" ) after all.
    I wouldn't know. Why don't you enlighten us?
  3. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 13:513 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I wouldn't know. Why don't you enlighten us?
    I don't know either - but I would be very surprised if Buddhists thought their sole responsibility was to themselves and they did not have a responsibility to help other human beings attain Nirvana.

Historically, Buddhism was the first major "evangelical" religion. Although it originated in India, it was a minor religion until King Ashoka converted to it in the 3rd cent. BC. During his reign, Ashoka despatched Buddhist missionaries (including his son and daughter) all over India and South-East Asia. Buddhism had become the major religion in these parts by the 4th or 5th cent. AD.

In the 7th cent., however traditional Hinduism struck back in India with the Bhakti movement (a monotheistic variant that emphasised personal devotion to God - not very different from the mendicant orders that rose in Europe in the 11th and 12th cent.). By the 12th cent., Buddhism had declined in India and Buddhist communities only existed in relatively small pockets of the Himalayas, where they continue to this day.
  4. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 14:14
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Is there anything about either of these that precludes one from practicing and believing the tenets of both? Can a good Chrisitan also practice Buddhism? Can a Buddhist believe in the triune God of the Bible?
    I think it depends on how to you interpret Christianity and how you interpret Buddhism. I think it is possible depending on your interpretation of both. I have come across some Christian-Buddhists on a buddhism forum...
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:151 edit
    While there is a better life to come, it is not a life separated from this world - Christians believe in the literal resurrection of the body.
    Does this entail that cremated people cannot enter heaven?
    Does it entail that amputees will still missing limbs in heaven?
    Does it entail that birth defects will persist in heaven?

If not, then you're not dealing with literal bodily resurrection.
  6. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:191 edit
    Does this entail that cremated people cannot enter heaven?
    Does it entail that amputees will still missing limbs in heaven?
    Does it entail that birth defects will persist in heaven?

If not, then you're not dealing with literal resurrection.
    No. No. No.

Why not?

EDIT: Resurrection of the body means that you will be brought back from death to life - body and soul. It doesn't mean your resurrected body will be identical to your body as it was before death.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:22
    No. No. No.

Why not?
    You are claiming literal resurrection of the body, yet the body is not that which is resurrected.

That is, is the amputee's body resurrected? If so, it will still have a missing limb. If the body doesn't have a missing limb, it is a different body.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:23
    Resurrection of the body means that you will be brought back from death to life - body and soul. It doesn't mean your resurrected body will be identical to your body as it was before death.
    Then don't sneak in the word "literal" if what you mean is something figurative, something beyond the plain meaning of the text.
  9. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:27
    That is, is the amputee's body resurrected? If so, it will still have a missing limb. If the body doesn't have a missing limb, it is a different body.
    Does the amputee's body become a different body when his limb is amputated?

If removal of the limb does not cause the body to become another body, why does addition of the limb do so?
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:29
    Does the amputee's body become a different body when his limb is amputated?

If removal of the limb does not cause the body to become another body, why does addition of the limb do so?
    It does become a different body with removal and addition, characterized by the two bodies having a different number of limbs.
  11. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:29
    Then don't sneak in the word "literal" if what you mean is something figurative, something beyond the plain meaning of the text.
    Look up the definition of "resurrection". The use of 'literal' here is correct.

A figurative resurrection of the body would be one where the body is non-corporeal, for instance, or where the body is "resurrected" in peoples memories etc.
  12. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:301 edit
    It does become a different body with removal and addition, characterized by the two bodies having a different number of limbs.
    EDIT: Is it only with limbs, or with any part of the body that your argument holds?

Are you a fan of Heraclitus?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:381 edit
    EDIT: Is it only with limbs, or with any part of the body that your argument holds?

Are you a fan of Heraclitus?
    List all of the parts that constitute your body.
    List all of the parts that constitute another, possibly the same, body.

If those lists are not identical, then the bodies are not identical, for they have a different constitution. Note that identical lists are a necessary but insufficient condition for identical bodies.

I don't know about Heraclitus.
  14. London
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:421 edit
    List all of the parts that constitute your body.
    List all of the parts that constitute another, possibly the same, body.

If those lists are not identical, then the bodies are not identical, for they have a different constitution. Note that identical lists are a necessary but insufficient condition for identical bodies.

I don't know about Heraclitus.
    Suppose I listed parts at the cellular level (X million neurons, Y million skin cells etc. with relative orientation) - would your assertion still hold?

EDIT: Heraclitus - the chap who said "You can never step in the same river twice".
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Dec '05 15:46
    Suppose I listed parts at the cellular level (X million neurons, Y million skin cells etc. with relative orientation) - would your assertion still hold?

EDIT: Heraclitus - the chap who said "You can never step in the same river twice".
    Yes, my assertion still holds. Note that those things would only be in the list if you considered them as constituent parts of the body. Regardless of what you put in the list, my assertion holds. It is a formal one, with no dependence on any particular notion of the body.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree