1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 May '17 00:25
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The grain of salt may indeed appear to vanish from existence when it dissolves into the ocean. But taste the water sir, and it will taste salty....

Dwell on that a little and prepare yourself for your next lesson. (It involves a teapot).
    Hah!! didn't Robbie use "Zen Master" as a handle not too long ago?
    Surely we don't have 2 actual Zen Masters in our midst? Apparently they are very hard to come by as authentic Masters are few and far between.
    We are indeed blessed to have 2 .... Wowo 😀
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 May '17 00:28
    Your individual consciousness is an illusion, a dream.

Wake up.
    One who realizes they are dreaming (or sleeping) already has one eye open.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 May '17 00:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I do but i wanna be conscious of it, I don't want to be a snowflake on the river or a stone in the water, I want to be conscious. Buddhism if it cannot guarantee me consciousness is a fail.
    It's not Buddhism, it's you.

"Work out your own enlightenment/salvation with diligence" Buddha
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 May '17 07:13
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Hah!! didn't Robbie use "Zen Master" as a handle not too long ago?
    Surely we don't have 2 actual Zen Masters in our midst? Apparently they are very hard to come by as authentic Masters are few and far between.
    We are indeed blessed to have 2 .... Wowo 😀
    He didn't deserve the title, so I took it from him.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    03 May '17 22:00
    Not just native American, though the word "Spirit" may not be the same in say ... Australian indigenous culture, I'm pretty sure they have concept of it.
    In Hinduism it is Vishnu - the creator of all things.
    Creator. Explains everything, and explains nothing. Clearly though the creator has created conflict and divisiveness.

Like a game of chess, in a way.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 May '17 22:17
    He didn't deserve the title, so I took it from him.
    Sure thing man, he did give it up after not long. However it is an ominous title.
    You seem to know a thing or two about eastern spirituality so I nod slightly in your direction for taking on a such a huge handle
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 May '17 22:241 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    Creator. Explains everything, and explains nothing. Clearly though the creator has created conflict and divisiveness.

Like a game of chess, in a way.
    William Burroughs has a comment along the lines that our universe is based on war and games. (There may be other universes out there but ours in inexorably linked with 'war and games' ).
    What I get from that is that the only way our species has genuinely "grown" as a species is through understanding ourselves and the world around us coming from conflict of in form or another.
    Technology has advanced because of war, our understanding of human nature has increased through empathy for others, and minds have been sharpened for millenia playing games such as chess.
    It is a compelling quote from the late and great Mr. Burroughs, and featured at the start of a "geek doco" called "The King of Kong" which explores the personalities behind the world record holders of computer games such as Donkey Kong.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 May '17 06:28
    Originally posted by karoly aczel...
    What I get from that is that the only way our species has genuinely "grown" as a species is through understanding ourselves and the world around us coming from conflict of in form or another. ...
    Devil on one shoulder, angel on the other. They whisper to us.

I don't think we should ignore either one.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 May '17 06:461 edit
    Try to be good enough and we become meat cows, a placid and happy enough resource for the other shoulder. Try to be bad enough and we become eating machines, a violent and happy enough resource for the other shoulder.

I wonder sometimes how other intelligent life in our universe may be, and what would we have to offer. I think it may be the devil and the angel.
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 May '17 06:58
    One consciousness , yes that's seems about right...
    We are drops of water from a sea. I am science-minded and still can't get away from this. Physics is easy to understand, and it needs something else.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 May '17 22:38
    We are drops of water from a sea. I am science-minded and still can't get away from this. Physics is easy to understand, and it needs something else.
    I too am science minded and over the years science has just blown some garbage straight out of my mind.
    However, at the end of the day, science in it's current form is just measuring and recording trends and whatnot. It doesn't deal with who we are. It does however try to deal with what we are(Quantum), which may go a long way to showing us who we are. Maybe not
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    04 May '17 23:541 edit
    I too am science minded and over the years science has just blown some garbage straight out of my mind.
    However, at the end of the day, science in it's current form is just measuring and recording trends and whatnot. It doesn't deal with who we are. It does however try to deal with what we are(Quantum), which may go a long way to showing us who we are. Maybe not
    Science is moving away from strict reductionism and determinism, and making new sorts of progress as a result. But I find it remarkable that unless we are talking about mammalian brains, we have no way of determining whether a given system (cell, bug, biosphere, sun) has subjective experiences. It's like science in all of its power is blind.

Or, we don't really exist.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 May '17 01:381 edit
    Science is moving away from strict reductionism and determinism, and making new sorts of progress as a result. But I find it remarkable that unless we are talking about mammalian brains, we have no way of determining whether a given system (cell, bug, biosphere, sun) has subjective experiences. It's like science in all of its power is blind.

Or, we don't really exist.
    lol, I'm starting to disappear as you type...
    Nah... not really.
    But another thing Burroughs said was about our purpose in life and wether or not there was an eternal life after death.
    he said that's its the only thing worth musing over in the end of things. If the universe is indeed atheistic then .... well all sorts of questions.. like if we never really existed in the first place.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 May '17 07:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ... How can there be existence without consciousness?
    Pebbles have mastered that skill.

It seems to me that when we are dead, all the stuff our brains do doesn't happen anymore. Our memories are gone, our hopes and fears are gone, our physical senses are gone, and so on. What could still remain?

Consciousness would be gone. But what is it that experiences consciousness?
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 May '17 07:38
    ... our purpose in life ...
    That's a force, isn't it? Introspective people feel it. Buddhists say our purpose is to end suffering. I appreciate that, but it doesn't quite work, because a world-breaker bomb would end all of our suffering and yet that doesn't feel right. Does it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree