BWA takes on the Pope

BWA takes on the Pope

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I mean, PsychoPawn's already stumbled on the fact that there's a higher prevalence of Aids in non Catholic populations that are presumably free to use condoms as often as they like. But they don't. Why is that?
Maybe they don't make any that are big enough.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Maybe your 'brothas' down there try to put it over the wrong 'head' ... 😀

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 Mar 09
1 edit

Think about it. Suppose you're in charge of marketing for Trojan. You have limited resources to allocate among production of condoms that will fit various sizes of men, ranging from Africans all the way down to Koreans.

Now here comes Ratzinger's "Raw Doggin' It, 2009 A.D." tour of Africa, telling brothaz not to wear rubbers. How do you suppose this would affect your allocation of resources to the African market?

c

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Crucify him?
Certainly not. Just retire him to a dessert island where he can do no more harm.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
18 Mar 09

Think about it. Suppose you're in charge of marketing for Trojan. You have limited resources to allocate among production of condoms that will fit various sizes of men, ranging from Africans all the way down to Koreans.

Now here comes Ratzinger's "Raw Doggin' It, 2009 A.D." tour of Africa, telling brothaz not to wear rubbers. How do you suppose this would affect your allocation of resources to the African market?
Well, if the brothaz decide to foolishly follow the Pope, thats their problemo. Tough luck .. fools die (and are born) all the time. I aint losing sleep over that. I will simply divert resources to make the 17" long 3" diameter condoms for the African market and make the 4" long 1" diameter condoms for the Korean market .. 🙂

F

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by clearlight
Certainly not. Just retire him to a dessert island where he can do no more harm.
...together with some AIDS infected hot babes, then hide the condoms...

rc

Moves
18 Mar 09

the new york times has also interesting article which considers another source other than sexual behavior, dodgy medical practices!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9904E0D71138F937A15752C1A963948260

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
19 Mar 09

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
I found this link, which may or may not be completely reliable. They claim that the non-catholic christian countries have a higher rate and they may, but that doesn't make the rate among catholics 0 by any stretch.

http://www.martinrothonline.com/MRCC11.htm

Note the muslim nations rates are much lower.

Of course, that's not really the point. Th ...[text shortened]... he equivalent of telling people that they shouldn't wear a seat belt if they choose to drive.
Those type of comparisons don't make sense. There are many more things going on than just religion. Comparing Swaziland to Morocco looking only at religion is clearly nonsense. The best way should be to compare people within a country with similar incomes, marital status, age, education, etc BUT with different religions. That would be much closer to the "real" difference that religion denomination makes, albeit still imperfect.

I quoted a recent study in another thread who does this and finds that Catholics do not have higher prevalence rates and, in some countries, have statistically significant (s.s.) lower ones. Unfortunately, the study uses Muslims as the benchmark and they only provide statistical tests against the benchmark. Still, in some cases, Catholics are associated with s.s. lower prevalence rates in some countries were Protestants aren't, but there doesn't seem to be much difference overall.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
19 Mar 09

I believe one creative option to the problem would be to make condoms a form of currency. Your various sizes would be different amounts of currency. Let's say your 17" one would be like a $100 bill. Everyone would want one. Your Korean size one would be worth a penny or nickle. As these circulated into the monetary system and had value, they would naturally be available for use.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 09

Are you suggesting that somehow AIDs is a problem in Africa, but it's not a problem with Catholic africans?
According to the article in the OP, 'While Catholicism expands on the continent of Africa, we are seeing the expansion of HIV/AIDS as well.' I am wondering if there is any correlation between Catholicism and the prevalence of HIV.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 09

I found this link, which may or may not be completely reliable. They claim that the non-catholic christian countries have a higher rate and they may, but that doesn't make the rate among catholics 0 by any stretch.

http://www.martinrothonline.com/MRCC11.htm

Note the muslim nations rates are much lower.

Of course, that's not really the point. Th ...[text shortened]... he equivalent of telling people that they shouldn't wear a seat belt if they choose to drive.
The point is that the pope is doing the equivalent of telling people that they shouldn't wear a seat belt if they choose to drive.

I think that what the Pope is doing is the equivalent not to drive at all. Hence the word abstinence.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
19 Mar 09

Originally posted by Conrau K
[b]The point is that the pope is doing the equivalent of telling people that they shouldn't wear a seat belt if they choose to drive.

I think that what the Pope is doing is the equivalent not to drive at all. Hence the word abstinence.[/b]
Well, if he's telling them not to drive, the least he could do is tell them to ride a bicycle or show them the bus schedule.

d

Break-twitching

Moves
19 Mar 09

Check out this brotha telling it like it is.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/18/martin.condoms/index.html

Folks, there is nothing in the Bible about wearing a seat belt. But it would be foolish of any pastor not to tell his or her members to use the safety device when driving. Churches all across the country trust and love their fell ...[text shortened]... ca, we are seeing the expansion of HIV/AIDS as well.

The Pope is an embarrassment.
Condoms can leak, burst, and slip off. Body guards at least have some loyalty, whereas a condom couldn't care less...

Cape Town

Moves
19 Mar 09

Although the Catholics rejection of condoms is a major issue when it comes to AIDS, they are not the only guilty ones.
The Bush administration pushed a policy of abstinence only and this affected the distribution of condoms and caused the AIDS rates to rise.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Mar 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
Although the Catholics rejection of condoms is a major issue when it comes to AIDS, they are not the only guilty ones.
The Bush administration pushed a policy of abstinence only and this affected the distribution of condoms and caused the AIDS rates to rise.
What about the attitudes of African men towards wearing condoms?