BWA takes on the Pope

BWA takes on the Pope

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 Mar 09
2 edits

Check out this brotha telling it like it is.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/18/martin.condoms/index.html

Folks, there is nothing in the Bible about wearing a seat belt. But it would be foolish of any pastor not to tell his or her members to use the safety device when driving. Churches all across the country trust and love their fellow members, but you can bet that an accountant is employed by many churches to ensure that no one is stealing the tithes and offerings.

Pope Benedict surely loves God and sees him as his protector and provider, but he goes nowhere without armed bodyguards. The pope has to know that murder is against God's will. He has to believe that every person has the choice to be a moral and upstanding person. Yet not everyone abides by those religious views, and his security is there to prevent him from being harmed.

So how are condoms any different?

While Catholicism expands on the continent of Africa, we are seeing the expansion of HIV/AIDS as well.

The Pope is an embarrassment.

Z

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

Folks, there is nothing in the Bible about wearing a seat belt. But it would be foolish of any pastor not to tell his or her members to use the safety device when driving. Churches all across the country trust and love their fell ...[text shortened]... ca, we are seeing the expansion of HIV/AIDS as well.

Every sperm is sacred,
Every sperm is great.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets quite irate.

c

Moves
18 Mar 09

If the Pope was just an 'embarassment' I would be alot happier but the fact is this twisted and deluded man is reponsible for as much suffering in the world as Stalin and Hitler were and just as his predesessor was before him. Millions of orphans, people enduring grinding and relentless poverty, sickness and AIDS is not an embarrasment it is a crime against humanity.

F

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by clearlight
If the Pope was just an 'embarassment' I would be alot happier but the fact is this twisted and deluded man is reponsible for as much suffering in the world as Stalin and Hitler were and just as his predesessor was before him. Millions of orphans, people enduring grinding and relentless poverty, sickness and AIDS is not an embarrasment it is a crime against humanity.
Crucify him?

Cape Town

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by clearlight
As with all figure heads (Mugabe, Hitler, the Pope) it is wrong to put all the blame on one person. Yes, it is probably within the power of the Pope to reverse the policy on condoms, but the policy itself is not his own doing, and if he made such decisions without the support of his advisors etc then he would probably be a far worse Pope than he currently is.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Mar 09

Folks, there is nothing in the Bible about wearing a seat belt. But it would be foolish of any pastor not to tell his or her members to use the safety device when driving. Churches all across the country trust and love their fell ...[text shortened]... ca, we are seeing the expansion of HIV/AIDS as well.

Do we actually have evidence that HIV/AIDS is spreading among Afro-Catholics.

P

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by Conrau K
Are you suggesting that somehow AIDs is a problem in Africa, but it's not a problem with Catholic africans?

P

Moves
18 Mar 09

I found this link, which may or may not be completely reliable. They claim that the non-catholic christian countries have a higher rate and they may, but that doesn't make the rate among catholics 0 by any stretch.

http://www.martinrothonline.com/MRCC11.htm

Note the muslim nations rates are much lower.

Of course, that's not really the point. The point is that the pope is doing the equivalent of telling people that they shouldn't wear a seat belt if they choose to drive.

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
18 Mar 09
1 edit

Well, gee, I don't know. Is the aid work done by the Catholic Church in Africa only focused toward Catholics? Does the Catholic Church give condoms to non-catholic people in need?

Look, one of the major problems with the Pope talking about this in Africa is that it gives legitimacy to some of the myths floating around Africa about HIV/Aids. The idea that having sex with a virgin, for instance, will cure HIV/Aids is prevalent among African males, and when the Catholic church spreads the word that if you put a piece of latex on your willy during sex some magic man in the sky will slap you down...well, it just makes a whole lot of ridiculous nonsense just that much more believable.

The people of Africa need help battling the spread of this disease, and they need that help to be in the form of honest information. Not a marketing campaign designed to convince people to trade one set of myths for a different set.

That it not to say the Catholic's shouldn't be talking about abstinence, and morality...far from it, but I would love to see them take reality into consideration and pass out condoms while their talking about abstinence.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
As with all figure heads (Mugabe, Hitler, the Pope) it is wrong to put all the blame on one person. Yes, it is probably within the power of the Pope to reverse the policy on condoms, but the policy itself is not his own doing, and if he made such decisions without the support of his advisors etc then he would probably be a far worse Pope than he currently is.
If he were to come out and say "when making luv wear a glove" he would be hailed as an innovator. He would give reason for millions to rethink 1) wearing condoms and 2) seeing the catholic church being relevant.

What is the worst case scenario if he were to do that?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
18 Mar 09

The condom issue in Africa has much more to do with sexual politics than religion.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The condom issue in Africa has much more to do with sexual politics than religion.
How so?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by kirksey957
How so?
Sexism is rife.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 Mar 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Sexism is rife.
Within the Catholic Church. When is the last time you met a female priest or a male nun?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
18 Mar 09

Within the Catholic Church. When is the last time you met a female priest or a male nun?
I haven't met a priest or a nun in many years. But I was talking about why this Pope condom thing is not all that relevant to Africa. If Ratzinger turned around tomorrow and said 'don condoms with my blessing' it'd make precious little difference, in my opinion. I mean, PsychoPawn's already stumbled on the fact that there's a higher prevalence of Aids in non Catholic populations that are presumably free to use condoms as often as they like. But they don't. Why is that? I'm asking you as one of the three most intelligent people in RHP.