1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    25 Aug '10 04:38
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I feel like you started off with a workable thought problem, but you've gone off on a tangent that erodes the punch of your opening move.

You suggest that agriculture was a step-up from the hunter (despite the record from which you borrow to make the conjecture offering a decidedly different record), then insert some odd idea of the God-directed ritual ...[text shortened]... a little child
    shall lead them."

Sometimes editing isn't the brightest thing to do...
    I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, Freaky. Agriculture is not a step up from the hunter. It is the first step toward The Fall. I don't know what this "god-directed ritual" is that you refer to. Abel's animal sacrifice is not an animal sacrifice. It is symbolic of a hunter-gatherer lifestyle that is in harmony with both its own humanity and with nature. Cain's offering represents a post-agricultural lifestyle that is alienated from its own humanity and from nature. To be in harmony with ones own humanity and with nature is to be at one with 'god.' To be alienated from ones own humanity and from nature is to be estranged from 'god' and to live in a fallen state.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Aug '10 12:43
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, Freaky. Agriculture is not a step up from the hunter. It is the first step toward The Fall. I don't know what this "god-directed ritual" is that you refer to. Abel's animal sacrifice is not an animal sacrifice. It is symbolic of a hunter-gatherer lifestyle that is in harmony with both its own humanity and w ...[text shortened]... umanity and from nature is to be estranged from 'god' and to live in a fallen state.
    I wasn't considering agriculture as an actual step-up, per se, as much as I was phrasing it to mirror your characterization of it as a progression or movement away from hunting--- as though Abel's profession preceded Cain's. Which we know wasn't the case.

Rousseau had it wrong: there was nothing innocent about Abel any more than there was anything innocent about Cain or anyone who follows. Naïve, gullible and generally lacking in savvy? Well, certainly that was the case for Abel, but without a doubt he understood there was a war afoot. Why else would he have participated in the animal-sacrifice-that-was-an-animal-sacrifice (which he learned from his father, who in turn, learned from God), if he was not aware of the rift between man and his Maker?
  3. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Aug '10 11:01
    It appears you are projecting onto the situation a predisposition which is clearly not borne out by the facts of the narrative.
    It would appear that it requires very considerable intellectual gymnastics to persuade yourself that the spilling of blood and slaughter of an animal is somehow "about life, not death".
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Aug '10 12:54
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    It would appear that it requires very considerable intellectual gymnastics to persuade yourself that the spilling of blood and slaughter of an animal is somehow "about life, not death".
    More accurately, it is about the cost associated with both. Let's not move the goal posts. What is being refuted is the idea that there existed some primitive, debased blood lust, akin to trance-laden devil-has-my-soul Hollywood depictions of scary, scary "eevil" ritualistic killings.
  5. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    26 Aug '10 15:151 edit
    More accurately, it is about the cost associated with both. Let's not move the goal posts. What is being refuted is the idea that there existed some primitive, debased blood lust, akin to trance-laden devil-has-my-soul Hollywood depictions of scary, scary "eevil" ritualistic killings.
    The idea is not being refuted by you, merely denied.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Aug '10 16:19
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    The idea is not being refuted by you, merely denied.
    I had the right word. The record does not reflect anything remotely close to the characterization of blood lust, therefore the same has not been established. I have eliminated the contention by virtue of pointing back to the record.

Next.
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 12:12
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    You should never believe anything you only read from a single source.
    what about stop signs?
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 12:31
    Originally posted by duecer
    what about stop signs?
    Yes, you should definitely ignore them.
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 13:03
    Yes, you should definitely ignore them.
    what about medication warnings?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 14:17
    🙂
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 15:14
    Yes, I'd be delighted if you would also ignore these. You can go ahead and assume my positive response to any other fatuous suggestions you can dredge up.
  12. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Aug '10 17:35
    Yes, I'd be delighted if you would also ignore these. You can go ahead and assume my positive response to any other fatuous suggestions you can dredge up.
    what about warnings from forum moderator?
  13. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '10 00:09
    Christ Jesus said of the lie and the father of lies, that "he was a murderer from the beginning.", and the very 1st to have committed such was Cain.
    Cain slew his brother due to his cast judgement upon his accepted offering to the Lord, which, as Christ also stated, they that judge another, shall be judged..
    It was Cain's reflection to his judgement upon his brother that inflamed Cain just as one who experiences the same thing after judging one to be uncomfortable of another goes through such pain whenever that person appears in front of them. This is why he said "Judge not that ye be not judged", it's affects it manifests in consciousness..
  14. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    28 Sep '10 00:41
    Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
    Christ Jesus said of the lie and the father of lies, that "he was a murderer from the beginning.", and the very 1st to have committed such was Cain.
    Cain slew his brother due to his cast judgement upon his accepted offering to the Lord, which, as Christ also stated, they that judge another, shall be judged..
    It was Cain's reflection to his judgeme ...[text shortened]... hy he said "Judge not that ye be not judged", it's affects it manifests in consciousness..
    end of quote
  15. Joined
    24 Sep '10
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 21:271 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
    It was Cain's reflection to his judgeme ...[text shortened]...

~ and to continue~ his judgement upon his brother that inflamed Cain just as one who experiences the same thing after judging one to be uncomfortable of another goes through such pain whenever that person appears in front of them. This is why he said "Judge not that ye be not judged", it's affects it manifests in consciousness..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree