1. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 15:42
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Is the Pope correct?
    Actually, it's the CDF (with Papal approval).

But, yes, they're correct in stating traditional Catholic teaching (incidentally, with respect to what it says about Protestant denominations, it's traditional Orthodox teaching as well).
  2. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 15:42
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,434972,00.html

"The souvenir items run the gamut from fashion (a Ratzinger hat), to food (the Ratzi bratwurst), to alcoholic beverages (Benedict Beer) to china (Ratzinger teacups)."

"For €5, pilgrims can purchase a small bottle of holy water"

"And as if Ratzinger's divine boss -- Jesus Chris ...[text shortened]... rchants from the temple, the Catholic Church has its own fingers in the moneymaking pie."
    Thanks for the link.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 15:47
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Actually, it's the CDF (with Papal approval).

But, yes, they're correct in stating traditional Catholic teaching (incidentally, with respect to what it says about Protestant denominations, it's traditional Orthodox teaching as well).
    So you agree that a Baptist "church" is not a real church, correct?
  4. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 15:501 edit
    So you agree that a Baptist "church" is not a real church, correct?
    In the traditional (and technical) sense, no.

EDIT: Again, not sure what the big surprise here is.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 15:57
    Again, not sure what the big surprise here is.
    Then I guess you'd be surprised to learn that most people who attend "churches" believe that they are attending real churches. What mother gathers up her young ones on Sunday morning to haul them off to pseudo-church? Not everybody views the world through the lens of Catholicism, praise Jesus.

Do you think the Catholic church is defective?
  6. London
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 16:10
    Then I guess you'd be surprised to learn that most people who attend "churches" believe that they are attending real churches. What mother gathers up her young ones on Sunday morning to haul them off to pseudo-church? Not everybody views the world through the lens of Catholicism, praise Jesus.

Of course most people who attend churches (I normally use lowercase 'church' in the common sense of the term and uppercase 'Church' when I'm using it in the technical sense) believe they are attending "real churches". What's your point here? It's also rather self-evident that most (if not all) non-Catholics would not view the world through Catholic eyes. Again, what's the point here?

Obviously, it is equally self-evident that the Catholic Church would view the world through Catholic eyes. What are you so surprised about?

In the theo-technical sense, no.
  7. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    11 Jul '07 18:281 edit
    Yes, a good friend of mine is devoutly Catholic, and when my wife and I have gone to visit with her, she's intimated that were we to attend Mass with her, my wife could not take the Eucharist. Instead, my wife would be expected to remain in her seat during the ritual, and pray for the reunification of the church.

Annoying, but not surprising, per se.
  8. London
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 18:05
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    Yes, a good friend of mine is devoutly Catholic, and when my wife and I have gone to visit with her, she's intimated that were we to attend Mass with her, my wife could not take the Eucharist. Instead, my wife would be expected to remain in her seat during the ritual, and pray for the reunification of the church.

Annoying, but not surprising, per se.
    Actually, these days, non-Catholics can come forward with Catholics but, instead of receiving the Eucharist, receives a blessing from the priest.
  9. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 19:10
    Actually, these days, non-Catholics can come forward with Catholics but, instead of receiving the Eucharist, receives a blessing from the priest.
    Hmm. That's weird -- maybe my wife misunderstood. Or maybe her friend was a bit off in her own understanding.
  10. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 19:39
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    Hmm. That's weird -- maybe my wife misunderstood. Or maybe her friend was a bit off in her own understanding.
    Her friend is going by the information written on the inside cover of the missalette, the book many parishes use at mass that has the weekly readings and other useful information so that people may follow along. The friend is accurately passing along what it says there.

It is equally true that a person who is not receiving communion may go up and receive a blessing instead. This includes children who are not old enough to receive. This is not a well-known piece of information, though, so the friend might not be aware of this.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 20:571 edit
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/10/ap/world/main3039566.shtml

Pope Benedict XVI has reasserted the universal primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says Orthodox churches were defective and that [b]other Christian denominations were not true churches.

Is the Pope correct, or ju it roundly. It's absolutely hilarious to see the Pope employ it in an official proclamation.[/b]
    It is high time you read the original and complete Church documents instead of fragmented and usually not objective reports on them.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 21:021 edit
    Certain aspects of Church doctrine ...... (VIS)

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=72687&page=1
  13. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 16:441 edit
    The real problem here is the definition of "church". The church is the body of Christ, speaking Biblically. That is the body of all believers, irrespective of the banner they go under, and that is what the Reformation was all about.

But then the Catholic church has always gone deliriously on as if the Reformation never happened 😉
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 22:231 edit
    This practice is common in America, in my experience.

Nemesio

Edit: It is also for practicing Roman Catholics who are not in the proper
    state to receive Communion.
  15. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 22:35
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    This practice is common in America, in my experience.

Nemesio

Edit: It is also for practicing Roman Catholics who are not in the proper
    state to receive Communion.
    Common? In a decade of being an EM I only saw one adult do it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree