1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jun '13 05:403 edits
    Because I don't know how to link to a post in another thread, I copy this comment I made about God blessing Job's latter end more than the first.

It has some interesting aspects to it which counter sonhouse's accusation of God's sexism:

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Job's Recovery" Job 42:10-16 New International Version (NIV)

10 "After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before. 11 All his brothers and sisters and everyone who had known him before came and ate with him in his house. They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the L ...

Please notice that it doesn't say Job now had a two new wives.

God did not consider the wife of a man as property in the same way as oxen, sheep, cattle, etc.

The nor did the number of sons and daughters increase -

Job 1:2 - "and seven sons and three daughters were born to him."

These died in Satan's attack -

Job 1:18,19 " While this one was still speaking, another came and said, You sons and your daughters were eating and drinking wine in the house of their firstborn brother; and suddenly a great wind came from beyond the desert and struck the four corners of the house, so that it fell upon the young people and they died ..."

At the end of Job's long ordeal God restores the exact number of children and not more.

Job 42:13 " And he also had seven sons and three daughters. 14 The first daughter he named Jemimah, the second Keziah and the third Keren-Happuch. 15 Nowhere in all the land were there found women as beautiful as Job’s daughters, and their father granted them an inheritance along with their brothers. "

It says that "the Lord blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the former"

Compare 1:3 with 42:12-15.

Job doubled from 7,000 sheep to 14,000 sheep.
    Job doubled from 3,000 camels to 6,000 camels.
    Job doubled from 500 yoke of oxen to 1,000 yoke of oxen.
    Job doubled from 500 donkeys to 1,000 donkeys.

The number of children did not double.
    The number of daughters did not double.
    And we guess he still had the same wife [singular].

This little note is for the posters liking to accuse God in the Old Testament of sexism or that God treated women as men's chattel property. Clearly, this oldest book in the Bible contradicts that accusation.

Notice also that the daughters were given equal inheritance rights along with the male sons.

"their father granted them an inheritance along with their brothers."
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 01:42
    Calling sonhouse. What is your response to sonship about the women in the book of Job?

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree