1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:06
    @secondson said
    I think you must be afraid they may be right.
    I really don’t care what you think. Really. Go take it to those on your church who are interested in your blurts.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:26
    @divegeester said
    Please take your hubris to a new thread. This thread is about the content of the OP.
    Talk about hubris!! Since when do you stay on topic?

You're really just a horsesass aren't you?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:29
    @secondson said
    You're really just a horsesass aren't you?
    You seem upset.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:42
    @divegeester said
    I really don’t care what you think. Really. Go take it to those on your church who are interested in your blurts.
    No assurance dive?
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:44
    @divegeester said
    You seem upset.
    You seem to want me to be. Sorry to disappoint you.
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:46
    @divegeester said
    This thread is about the content of the OP.
    So are my posts. Evidently I struck a nerve.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:464 edits
    @divegeester

Is there something here that should cause me alarm Divegeester ? Let's go through it.

Sonship, for three years I’ve been asking you if I have to believe in the trinity doctrine to be saved and for three years you have been refusing to give me a straight yes or no answer, because you claim that there isn’t one. I’ve told you for three years that I don’t believe you.

For years I have told everyone to look first to Romans 10:9,10. Sometimes I quoted verses 9 through 13. But the essence on most basic salvation has been the following:

That if you confess with your mouth, Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness and with the mouth man confesses unto salvation." (Rom. 10:9,10)

Divegeester continues:

Here is a copy/paste from the statement of beliefs from the website of your own church sect:

The link is to a book published called The Beliefs and Practices of the Local Churches written by some co-workers in response to attacks against Witness Lee and mostly churches in the Southern Califorina area of the United States. The year should be about 1978.

”In order to be saved, one must have a living faith in the Person and work of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

I see no problem in that statement and my recommending for many years here Romans 10:9,10.

DIvegeester's continues the quotation.

Every genuinely saved one has what the Bible calls the “common faith” (Titus 1:4), which includes what we must believe in order to be saved: we must believe that the Bible is the complete divine revelation wholly inspired by God;

When Paul wrote those words to his colleague Titus the cannon of the New Testament had not even been assembled yet. The only "Bible" Titus had was the Old Testament Scriptures or the Tanakh.

I don't think Paul was excluding Titus from being saved or not sharing "the common faith" because the Bible had not been totally completed yet in both canons.

When the first Jews became saved Christians, there was only the Old Testament as a Bible. So I do not think the co-workers meant here that Peter, James, John, Mary, Martha and other first century believers had the books of Romans, First and Second Corinthians, Galatians, and Revelation with other not yet WRITTEN books of the New Testament canon to be "the complete revelation". The complete canon of 66 books had not been yet completed.

But they got saved, didn't they ? So I think the paragraph can be exploited to make an unrealistic point.

My opinion is that people have received the Lord Jesus Christ without even knowing how many books there are in the modern Bible. And I would encourage a seeking person that the Bible is indeed God's word.

I would not hold over them a requirement that they must know the names of the 66 books of both the Old and New Testament and have absolutely NO questions or doubts about something written in the Bible.

Salvation is in the living Person of Christ. And if Paul had MEANT to make inspiration of Scripture mandatory then he would not have written the apostolic instructions in this way -

"That if you confess with your mouth, Lord Jesus, and believe in you heart that God has raised HIm from among the dead, you shall be saved."

He would have added that one could not be saved unless one held to a doctrine of inspiration of 66 books of the Bible (some of which had not yet been written when he penned the Roman epistle).

This is of course not an encouragement to disbelieve the rest of the Bible. It is not an encouragement to regard all of the Bible as not inspired by God.

At the same time The Beliefs and Practices of the Local Churches as a booklet, speaking defensively to those imagining that we were NON-Christians, would understandably take care to emphasis that once the initial common faith was secured growth, fellowship, and maturity would surely reflect what Christians are generally known for - accepting the whole Bible as the inspired word of God.

I think the paragraph is being expoited by Divegeester.

that there is a unique Triune God, the Father, the Son, and the Spirit; that Jesus Christ is the Son of God incarnated to be a man; that Christ died on the cross for our sins, shedding His blood for our redemption; that on the third day He was bodily raised from the dead; that He has been exalted to the right hand of God and made the Lord of all; and that He is coming again for His own and to set up His kingdom on earth.”

The phrase "doctrine of the trinity" does not appear in the paragraph. To be fair the publication does say -

"that there is a unique Triune God".

My opinion is that I have seen people be saved without knowing very much about creeds or deeper discussions about the nature of the Three of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

I think many knew that in coming to Jesus they were coming to God. They were not conversant on the Nicene Creed or many different theological presentations in a mostly doctrinal way.

They grew to become more familiar with all that is written in the Bible. But to be born again they just received the Lord Jesus. They may have some idea that God sent His Son. But to expect all who asked Jesus to forgive them or become their Savior were conversant on "the doctrine of the Trinity" I think is unrealistic.

And I do not mind in the least if Divegeester "REPORT ME IN" if he thinks because I state my thoughts on this paragraph to the authors.

Anyone want to report Jack Wilmore to the co-workers? Go ahead. Just make sure you quote my ENTIRE post and not a portion.

Here's a Contact Form. Identify yourself, your email, your complaint or notification and let my brothers know what you think.

https://www.localchurches.org/contact/

I appreciate the co-workers publishing this apologetic in DEFENSE of the would be cult fighters.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:55
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

Is there something here that should cause me alarm Divegeester ? Let's go through it.

[quote] Sonship, for three years I’ve been asking you if I have to believe in the trinity doctrine to be saved and for three years you have been refusing to give me a straight yes or no answer, because you claim that there isn’t one. I’ve told you for three years that ...[text shortened]... rspace written by the co-workers. That this particular one was not cut and pasted is not big issue.
    Sonship, do you agree with the statement of belief from your church’s website which I’ve posted in my OP?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:56

https://www.localchurches.org/beliefs/salvation

There it is in unequivocal black and white text. So why is it so hard for you to copy/paste this text and justify it when I’ve been asking you for clarity for three years?!

Would you like me to cut and paste from this book specifically.
    Okay, with a comment or two.

Our Hope
    The local churches hope that as many as are ordained by God to eternal life will believe in the Lord Jesus. The local churches hope that all regenerated Christians will seek the growth in life, not the mere increase of knowledge. The local churches hope that all seeking Christians will see the …

A person may have mere KNOWLEDGE of the doctrine of the Trinity and still not be saved. So I think you exploit the book to mean a requirement of salvation is to possess mere KNOWLEDGE about something.

Notice that above "OUR HOPE" states that a person would "believe in the Lord Jesus Christ" .

How come it didn't say "would be knowledgeable and coversant about the doctrine of the Trinity" ?

The living Person of the Father - Son - Holy Spirit is the assurance.

Of course I don’t believe in the trinity doctrine and therefore you cannot classify me as Christian and therefore I will burn in Hell with the rest Of the unbelievers.

Above the book stated what is OUR HOPE

To believe in Christ.
    To grow in life.

I don't see any instruction that I have to inform you that you are not saved because you want to have a Modalistic interpretation of God. We would not encourage it.
    We understand that people will come to Christ with wrong concepts about things in His revelation.

In the section entitled Concerning Salvation we read these specific words -

In order to be saved, one must have a living contact with Jesus Christ. Therefore, in bringing unbelievers to salvation, we emphasize prayer and calling on the name of the Lord. According to Romans 10:9 and 10, if a man is to be saved, he must believe in his heart and confess with his mouth.

Once a person has been saved, he may have both the assurance of salvation and the security of salvation. Once we are saved, we are saved forever.

Sounds like Romans 10:9,10 to me.

Perhaps you were right to be ashamed of this.

There are thousands of pages out there in cyberspace written by the co-workers. That this particular one was not cut and pasted is not big issue.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 22:57
    @sonship said

https://www.localchurches.org/beliefs/salvation

There it is in unequivocal black and white text. So why is it so hard for you to copy/paste this text and justify it when I’ve been asking you for clarity for three years?!

Would you like me to cut and paste from this book specifically.
    Okay, with a comment or two.

[quote] Our Hope
    The l ...[text shortened]... rspace written by the co-workers. That this particular one was not cut and pasted is not big issue.
    Sonship, do you agree with the statement of belief from your church’s website which I’ve posted in my OP?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 23:003 edits
    @divegeester

I agree. I don't exploit it the way I think you do to make your points.

Once again from the very same book In the section entitled Concerning Salvation -

Concerning Salvation

In order to be saved, one must have a living contact with Jesus Christ. Therefore, in bringing unbelievers to salvation, we emphasize prayer and calling on the name of the Lord. According to Romans 10:9 and 10, if a man is to be saved, he must believe in his heart and confess with his mouth.

Once a person has been saved, he may have both the assurance of salvation and the security of salvation. Once we are saved, we are saved forever.

That's what I have been writing here for years. Right?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 23:04
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

I agree. I don't exploit it the way I think you do to make your points.

Once again from the very same book In the section entitled Concerning Salvation -

Concerning Salvation

In order to be saved, one must have a living contact with Jesus Christ. Therefore, in bringing unbelievers to salvation, we emphasize prayer an ...[text shortened]... saved, we are saved forever.

That's what I have been writing here for years. Right?
    Simple question Sonship, do you agree with the statement of belief from your church’s website which I’ve posted in my OP?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 23:103 edits
    You see Divegeester has tried to make assurance of salvation a mental issue of whether someone agrees with Jack or not.

Notice the phrase "living contact".

You can have disagreements with other Christians about the Trinity yet have a living contact with the living Person of Christ.

So my replies have been cautious and qualified in the spirit of what was written in the very book he brandishes.

Concerning Salvation

In the last analysis who really knows if Divegeester has a living contact with the Jesus Christ? God only.

So my treatment of his "gotcha!" cornering has been careful according to the real situation.

What he longs to hear me say is - "Disagree with sonship ??? You burn in hell."

A strange fancy indeed.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 23:15
    @sonship said
    You see Divegeester has tried to make assurance of salvation a mental issue of whether someone agrees with Jack or not.

Notice the phrase "living contact".

You can have disagreements with other Christians about the Trinity yet have a living contact with the living Person of Christ.

So my replies have been cautious and qualified in the spirit of what was writt ...[text shortened]... ongs to hear me say is - "Disagree with sonship ??? You burn in hell."

A strange fancy indeed.
    If someone rejects your "Triune God" ideology, is that person's "salvation" not possible as your group's website clearly suggests?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 23:19
    sonship, you disappeared - oddly - for some time after this thread was started and you delayed your contribution in an uncharacteristic way. Did you seek advice from someone from your 'church' - about how to handle the light that this OP casts on your stonewalling and obfuscation on this issue these last however many years - before responding?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree