1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 02:00
    'Thank god' when relieved about something?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 02:05
    Originally posted by trev33
    No. It's straight to the guillotine for them.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 02:13
    "thank the maker" however, is acceptable.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 02:50
    or "god bless", it's all good intentions,methinks. Doesn't matter what you believe, sometimes it can be a sign of respect to christians.
    (I say "god bless" to the ladies that do me food vouchers and they seem to appreciate it.)
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 04:06
    An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth! But in the end, that just leaves me with a bunch of toothless blind people!
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 05:20
    What about "Jesus Christ!" as an exclamation, or "Holy Mother of God!"?
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 05:341 edit
    you can mix it up a little, try "great zeus!" or "holy hammer of thor!"
    adds variety and culture.

or a non-religious favorite from an old cartoon/comic "10 thousand blistering barnacles!"

10 points to whomever knows where that's from without having to search it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 06:411 edit
    yes you are demonstrating an innate need to give glory to the most high. Happy are
    those conscious of their spirituality!
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 07:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes you are demonstrating an innate need to give glory to the most high. Happy are
    those conscious of their spirituality!
    So when my neighbour says 'Bless you' when I sneeze, he is demonstrating an innate need to get rid of bad spirits and the plague?
    Actually Wikipedia suggests that nobody currently knows why people say that (except that they learnt to do so from others).
    Yet you seem to be able to not only read minds, but also read the subconscious. Maybe you can tell us what subconscious urge leads to the exclamation?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 08:08
    I still like "by the power of grey-skull".

I said it out loud and backwards 479 times once.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 08:094 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So when my neighbour says 'Bless you' when I sneeze, he is demonstrating an innate need to get rid of bad spirits and the plague?
    Actually Wikipedia suggests that nobody currently knows why people say that (except that they learnt to do so from others).
    Yet you seem to be able to not only read minds, but also read the subconscious. Maybe you can tell us what subconscious urge leads to the exclamation?
    I dont care what wikipedia says, the etymological history of the phrase does indeed
    seem to be a throwback to the days when illness was a life and death business and one
    appealed for divine help to get better. Indeed when i was living in Pakistan, i was
    entreated numerous times by people to pray on their behalf when they were ill. One
    women even got well and came to my house to thank me, although i hasten to add, it
    had little to do with me, for i do not profess a belief in faith healing.

No i do not read minds, nor can i tell what is lurking in the subconscious, i dont know
    why you are havering on in such an absurd fashion.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 08:14
    I dont care what wikipedia says, the etymological history of the phrase does indeed
    seem to be a throwback to the days when illness was a life and death business and one
    appealed for divine help to get better. Indeed when i was living in Pakistan, i was
    entreated numerous times by people to pray on their behalf when they were ill. One
    women ...[text shortened]... is lurking in the subconscious, i dont know
    why you are havering on in such an absurd fashion.
    Doesn't your god heal?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 08:16
    appealed for divine help to get better.
    But why do people still do it? Is it just something we learn, (I don't do it, I guess I never learnt to) or something we feel an innate need to do?

... although i hasten to add, it had little to do with me, for i do not profess a belief in faith healing.
    So even if we have an innate need to ask for healing, its not going to help and its not based on anything real.

No i do not read minds, nor can i tell what is lurking in the subconscious, i dont know why you are havering on in such an absurd fashion.
    Because you apparently were able to identify trev33's innate needs based on his behaviour. How were you able to do that?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 08:17
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Doesn't your god heal?
    Yes, my God heals persons spiritually. I dont believe the faith healing scam, its a
    nonsense and makes a mockery of the Kingdom message, grown persons writhing
    around the church floor. Its easy to see why others think that such actions are mental!
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 08:262 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But why do people still do it? Is it just something we learn, (I don't do it, I guess I never learnt to) or something we feel an innate need to do?

[b]... although i hasten to add, it had little to do with me, for i do not profess a belief in faith healing.

So even if we have an innate need to ask for healing, its not going to help and its not bas ...[text shortened]... e able to identify trev33's innate needs based on his behaviour. How were you able to do that?[/b]
    yes, its learned behavior.

I never stated we have an innate need to ask for healing, I
    stated we have an innate need to give glory to the most high. What a thoroughly
    scurrilous fellow you are, twisting words to suit your nefarious arguments. You really
    should get a job for a tabloid newspaper, although, by your standards, their pages are
    almost Holy writings. What has my statement got to do with Trevs behavioural traits
    and subconscious? its your assertion, not mine Spanky, I have already provided a
    reason why he acted the way he did and guess what, its not your reason, so stop
    trying to make your reasons mine, they are not mine! If you can refute the
    statement then do so, but so far all you are trying to do is impose your reasoning
    onto mine, they're not! So just clean up your act!

You contribute nothing to my understanding and simply want to argue for arguments
    sake, its staid, futile, unfruitful and a waste of time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree