Can a soul be

Can a soul be "worthless?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Jan 06

Originally posted by gentlegil
The soul is the purest expression of a person, it isnt a physical form or fleeting emotion, it is a persons inner beauty. It is possible for someone who appears cold, and yet have a warm, giving soul or an average appearance to have a beautiful soul. A Soul is a way of looking past attitudes and behavior to see the real individual that is beneath the s ...[text shortened]... gious atheist or agnostic
it is the truth within us all.

a soul is not worthless....

gil
Well said.

s

Moves
20 Jan 06

The soul is the purest expression of a person, it isnt a physical form or fleeting emotion, it is a persons inner beauty. It is possible for someone who appears cold, and yet have a warm, giving soul or an average appearance to have a beautiful soul. A Soul is a way of looking past attitudes and behavior to see the real individual that is beneath the s ...[text shortened]... gious atheist or agnostic

gil
Beautiful. 🙂

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jan 06

gil
Sounds profound, yet actually says almost nothing. This is the only part I find interesting:

. The thoughts, the fears and desires, the longings that are part of what makes us whole...

The implication being that thoughts, fears and desires, and longings are part of the soul. These things exist, so if that's how you define a 'soul', then I agree that it exists. Are my thoughts, fears, desires and longings worth anything? Only insofar as they make me happy and keep pain from me. They do this to some extent, so I suppose my soul is worth something to me. I value other's souls as well, if this is how soul is defined.

s

Moves
20 Jan 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Sounds profound, yet actually says almost nothing. This is the only part I find interesting:

[b]. The thoughts, the fears and desires, the longings that are part of what makes us whole...

The implication being that thoughts, fears and desires, and longings are part of the soul. These things exist, so if that's how you define a 'soul', then ...[text shortened]... ul is worth something to me. I value other's souls as well, if this is how soul is defined.[/b]
The soul is the essence of your being. It may not last after the body is gone. It may dissipate with lifes ending. But it is all that which you feel and experience.

I believe everyone has such a soul. The afterlife story about how the soul prevails in a new form, I think is mostly wishful thoughts. But I can't deny that there's something very spiritual about me. That part of me, defines my soul as far as I can tell.

:

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Jan 06

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

[b]. The thoughts, the fears and desires, the longings that are part of what makes us whole...

The implication being that thoughts, fears and desires, and longings are part of the soul. These things exist, so if that's how you define a 'soul', then ...[text shortened]... ul is worth something to me. I value other's souls as well, if this is how soul is defined.[/b]
Utilitarian hedonism?

TCE

Colorado

Moves
20 Jan 06

Originally posted by stocken
The soul is the essence of your being. It may not last after the body is gone. It may dissipate with lifes ending. But it is all that which you feel and experience.

I believe everyone has such a soul. The afterlife story about how the soul prevails in a new form, I think is mostly wishful thoughts. But I can't deny that there's something very spiritual about me. That part of me, defines my soul as far as I can tell.

:
It’s also a popular type of music. I believe it’s something between funk and cool jazz. 🙂

s

Moves
20 Jan 06

Originally posted by The Chess Express
It’s also a popular type of music. I believe it’s something between funk and cool jazz. 🙂
Whoa-oa-oa! I feel good, I knew that I would, now
I feel good, I knew that I would, now
So good, so good, I got clean diapers

Whoa! I feel nice, like sugar and spice
I feel nice, like sugar and spice
So nice, so nice, I got a clean butt

do-dodo-dodododoooo do-dodo-dodododooo

When you hold me...

Oh, well.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
20 Jan 06

Originally posted by stocken
Whoa-oa-oa! I feel good, I knew that I would, now
I feel good, I knew that I would, now
So good, so good, I got clean diapers

Whoa! I feel nice, like sugar and spice
I feel nice, like sugar and spice
So nice, so nice, I got a clean butt

do-dodo-dodododoooo do-dodo-dodododooo

When you hold me...

Oh, well.
That’s hilarious! 😵😵

s

Moves
20 Jan 06

That’s hilarious! 😵😵
I live to entertain. 😏

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Jan 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Utilitarian hedonism?
I am a utilitarian, yes. I think I am hedonistic utilitarian, but I've never actually studied utilitarianism of any kind so I am not sure.

R

Moves
20 Jan 06

Much of the western philosophical tradition defined the soul as the animating principle of the body - what makes it a living thing. Thus, animals and plants were considered to have a soul, as well as men. However, that tradition also held that a human soul endures after death, because it does not depend on the body the way an animal's soul does. Why? Because the soul performs an action which is not an operation of a material body - namely, understanding, or knowing. I am not up to explaining that one. (: The basic idea is that the human soul was created for everlasting happiness, to know perfect truth, God.

Anyways, in the light of that tradition, I don't think any soul is worthless. That is the whole tragedy of a wicked person. Their soul is worthy of greater things.

h

Cosmos

Moves
21 Jan 06

Originally posted by eagles54
I do not know what a soul is, therefore I cannot define it for you, Mr. Gee.

I asked the question because a self-professed Christian proclaimed a certain poster's soul "worthless." I was hoping to get a reasoned response from persons that do indeed hold that souls are existent, primarily because I thought it an interesting debate.

There is nothing in ...[text shortened]... nging entity.

If you wish to take to task anything I have stated here, please be my guest.
If you do not know what a soul is, then why the heck did you start a thread asking if it could be worthless?

The only worthless thing is your original question.

I have started a similarly worthless thread for everyone's benefit.

h

Cosmos

Moves
21 Jan 06

gil
Piffle.

Contradictory too.

Firstly, you claim that a soul is "the purest expression of a person".

Later you state that "There is little shown by our appearance or personality"
....well, it cannot be a very pure form of expression then!

The soul is, like all religious beliefs; mans' early attempts to explain away the unknown.

Fortunately, science and observation has revealed to us entities like neurons, synapses, electrical brain inpulses, chemical reactions, complex spinal column nervous systems, etc.

All of these things explain observable phenomena which used to be attributed to 'souls'.

Unfortunately, there will always be people too lazy or ignorant to educate themselves, who cling to supernatural dogma (souls, heaven, God, etc) which they have been spoon fed by other sheep.

e

Moves
21 Jan 06

Originally posted by howardgee
If you do not know what a soul is, then why the heck did you start a thread asking if it could be worthless?

The only worthless thing is your original question.

I have started a similarly worthless thread for everyone's benefit.
Obviously, you failed to read my reply to your question earlier in this thread which is

"I asked the question because a self-professed Christian proclaimed a certain poster's soul "worthless." I was hoping to get a reasoned response from persons that do indeed hold that souls are existent, primarily because I thought it an interesting debate."

Need help with reading comprehension?

What is most definitely worthless is when someone of your underdeveloped maturity dismisses others to bolster your own weak sense of self-worth, as you have nothing constructive to say of your own.

And on your last point, bully for you!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
21 Jan 06

[b]Not meaning any disrespect but how do you personally know you
have a soul

Well, don’t expect any proof, but our individual personalities are a pretty good indication. Everybody has unique character traits.

Suppose for a moment the universe already is filled with
intelligent life, would not those societies or civilizations have ...[text shortened]... nto an eathly
human embryo?

Why not indeed.

Would we notice?

How could we?[/b]
"Not meaning any disrespect but how do you personally know you
have a soul

Well, don’t expect any proof, but our individual personalities are a pretty good indication. Everybody has unique character traits."

Every snowflake is different too, and none of them have "souls". Likewise, despite the designers best efforts everyy nuclear explosion is fractionally different. The things that unite people are far more numerous than the differences, just like souless nuclear bombs.

Also, science does not consider life to be a tremendous fluke. Life pretty much exists anywhere there is liquid water and energy (if energy too high no water, if energy too low, ice). There are billions of stars out there, some with planets, some without. Some of those planets will have liquid water, and most likely, life. That life may be complex or it may not, that's really immaterial. I guess it depends on whether the atmosphere / ocean system contains significant amounts of a useful reducing agent (we use oxygen); it's only with that that complex life can evolve. It's also why multicellular life took so long to develop on earth (and why things sped up alot after the Silurian / Devonian colonisation of land by plants, which took the O2 concentration from ~2% to about present conditions during the carboniferous (when the plants that coal come from were growing) (during the carboniferous CO2 was about 1/2 its current partial pressure in the atmosphere)).