1. Cosmos
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 20:581 edit
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Correction, the consciousness of a person who is unconscious doesn’t exist within the confines of their body. Here’s a link to show that our consciousness exists outside of our bodies.

http://www.bibleprobe.com/nde.htm

"For we know that when this tent we live in now is taken down... when we die and leave these bodies...we will have wonderful ...[text shortened]... more, made for us by God Himself, without human hands."

II Corinthians 5:1 (Living Bible)
    Not proof that our consciousness exists outside of our bodies at all.

The possibility that the oxygen starved brain is hallucinating is much more likely.

People then just imagine the things they have been spoon fed to expect; heaven or hell, etc.
  2. Colorado
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 21:50
    Originally posted by howardgee
    Not proof that our consciousness exists outside of our bodies at all.

The possibility that the oxygen starved brain is hallucinating is much more likely.

People then just imagine the things they have been spoon fed to expect; heaven or hell, etc.
    How do you explain a person dying in a hospital, getting resuscitated, and describing what was happening on another floor?
  3. Cosmos
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 00:06
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    How do you explain a person dying in a hospital, getting resuscitated, and describing what was happening on another floor?
    Just coincidence - we all have a good idea of what goes on in hospitals.

Especially now there are so many medical shows on TV!
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 10:171 edit
    Originally posted by gentlegil
    The soul is the purest expression of a person, it isnt a physical form or fleeting emotion, it is a persons inner beauty. It is possible for someone who appears cold, and yet have a warm, giving soul or an average appearance to have a beautiful soul. A Soul is a way of looking past attitudes and behavior to see the real individual that is beneath the surface. It is the true essence of another person.
    I have never forgotten this quote, which I first read in the notes to T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land:

"My external sensations are no less private to myself than are my thoughts or my feelings. In either case, my experience falls within my own circle, a circle closed on the outside, and, with all its elements alike, every sphere is opaque to the others which surround it....In brief, regarded as an existence which appears in a soul, the whole world for each is peculiar and private to that soul." (F.H. Bradley, Appearance and Reality)

Bradley was an Idealistic philosopher whose work is enjoying renewed respectability after being being bashed around a bit by empiricist philosophers in the early twentieth century. Here's the best online introduction to his work I could find in five minutes:

http://www.elea.org/Bradley/

(quote editing edit)
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    28 Jan '06 04:52
    Originally posted by howardgee
    Just coincidence - we all have a good idea of what goes on in hospitals.

Especially now there are so many medical shows on TV!
    In the end everything is coincidence isn’t it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree