Can a soul be

Can a soul be "worthless?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
21 Jan 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You're not a good enough capitalist. The whole trick is to sell things that don't exist, like those amazing cans of power that make you lose weight overnight so you can finally squeeze out of your trailer home and party with the thin, glamorous people.
Yeah, but those really work Bosse! What a cynic! I was 647 kilos before I went to sleep, and now I weigh 4.7 grams. 😀

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
21 Jan 06

Originally posted by eagles54
I do not know what a soul is, therefore I cannot define it for you, Mr. Gee.

I asked the question because a self-professed Christian proclaimed a certain poster's soul "worthless." I was hoping to get a reasoned response from persons that do indeed hold that souls are existent, primarily because I thought it an interesting debate.

There is nothing in ...[text shortened]... nging entity.

If you wish to take to task anything I have stated here, please be my guest.
"because a self-professed Christian proclaimed a certain poster's soul "worthless." "

Isn't it so ironic that this self same person believes that god gave them that soul! Something may be of little worth to me, but of great worth to someone else. I don't think that (if souls do exist, and I do not believe that they do) it is our 'christian's' right to decide whether another humans soul is worth something or not. God saw fit to create that soul and inbue it into that body. That should be enough for our christian friend.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
21 Jan 06

Originally posted by Raindear
Much of the western philosophical tradition defined the soul as the animating principle of the body - what makes it a living thing. Thus, animals and plants were considered to have a soul, as well as men. However, that tradition also held that a human soul endures after death, because it does not depend on the body the way an animal's soul does. Why? Be ...[text shortened]... hless. That is the whole tragedy of a wicked person. Their soul is worthy of greater things.
So basically the whole concept of the soul is an ego stroking thing so that humans can remind themselves of how superior they are to the rest of the world? Excellent, just what I always thought.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
21 Jan 06

Originally posted by scottishinnz
"Not meaning any disrespect but how do you personally know you
have a soul

Well, don’t expect any proof, but our individual personalities are a pretty good indication. Everybody has unique character traits."

Every snowflake is different too, and none of them have "souls". Likewise, despite the designers best efforts everyy nuclear explosion ...[text shortened]... (during the carboniferous CO2 was about 1/2 its current partial pressure in the atmosphere)).
Every snowflake is different too, and none of them have "souls". Likewise, despite the designers best efforts everyy nuclear explosion is fractionally different. The things that unite people are far more numerous than the differences, just like souless nuclear bombs.

Yes but those are inanimate objects. I was referring to the uniqueness of conscious beings. Every human and intelligent animal has a unique personality.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
21 Jan 06

Originally posted by The Chess Express
[b]Every snowflake is different too, and none of them have "souls". Likewise, despite the designers best efforts everyy nuclear explosion is fractionally different. The things that unite people are far more numerous than the differences, just like souless nuclear bombs.

Yes but those are inanimate objects. I was referring to the uniqueness of conscious beings. Every human and intelligent animal has a unique personality.[/b]
Why is a animate object any more unique than an innanimate object? Surely everything is ultimately unique. Uniqueness cannot, therefore, be used as criteria for claiming a 'soul', at least not without further specifications added.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
21 Jan 06

Why is a animate object any more unique than an innanimate object? Surely everything is ultimately unique. Uniqueness cannot, therefore, be used as criteria for claiming a 'soul', at least not without further specifications added.
Why is a animate object any more unique than an innanimate object?

Because of consciousness.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
21 Jan 06

Prompted by a poster by that described another's soul as "worthless," I ask you, the impartial and wise assembled here, can a soul in fact be worthless?

Or, is it possible that a soul may have immutable attributes that make it divine, unalterable by corruption of any sort?
I say, a soul can only be worthless if it chooses to be so.

e

Moves
21 Jan 06

Isn't it so ironic that this self same person believes that god gave them that soul! Something may be of little worth to me, but of great worth to someone else. I don't think that (if souls do exist, and I do not believe that they do) it is our 'christian's' right to decide whether another humans soul is worth something or not. God saw fit to create that soul and inbue it into that body. That should be enough for our christian friend.
That's precisely what struck me, the fact that this so-called Christian could label another's soul as worthless. Although I do not believe that a soul exists as an unchanging, eternal entity, I do believe that at the heart of what makes us human, regardless of how depraved an individual may appear, is an essence that can not be sullied in any way by the thoughts and actions of that individual.

I think it's much like a diamond that's been dropped in a manure pile; no matter the filth encrusted upon it, the worth of the diamond is unchanged. That is why I feel that to call someone's soul worthless is a mistake in understanding our human potential for cultivating endless compassion and wisdom.

There are many, many people in this world who are dangerous, destructive, murderous, callous. I still believe that they possess something buried under all the mess that is of immense worth. Unfortunately, their minds are poisoned by habit energies that are not easily overturned.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
21 Jan 06

The soul is your conciousness! They are synonymous.

To deny the existance of your soul is to deny the existance of your conciousness!

over your head

Moves
22 Jan 06

Bart Simpson sold his soul for $5, and Homer sold his for a donut ... so the market rate for souls isn't very high, but they're not worthless.

h

Cosmos

Moves
22 Jan 06

Obviously, you failed to read my reply to your question earlier in this thread which is

"I asked the question because a self-professed Christian proclaimed a certain poster's soul "worthless." I was hoping to get a reasoned response from persons that do indeed hold that souls are existent, primarily because I thought it an interesting debate."

Need ...[text shortened]... you have nothing constructive to say of your own.

And on your last point, bully for you!
Given that you have admitted you do not know what a soul is, your question should have been;

"What is a soul?"

My point is why ask a different question, about something you have no comprehension of?

Now grow up, and grow a brain.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
22 Jan 06

Originally posted by The Chess Express
[b]Why is a animate object any more unique than an innanimate object?

Because of consciousness.[/b]
A flatworm is animate, yet not conscious. Animation or lack, has nothing to do with it. Come on CE, normally your arguments are better thought out than this.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
22 Jan 06

Originally posted by ChessJester
The soul is your conciousness! They are synonymous.

To deny the existance of your soul is to deny the existance of your conciousness!
So, if I knock you out your soul stops existing? Your consciousness certainly doesn't exist for the period of time you are unconscious.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
22 Jan 06

A flatworm is animate, yet not conscious. Animation or lack, has nothing to do with it. Come on CE, normally your arguments are better thought out than this.
Suppose flatworms do have a type of consciousness? Consciousness of coarse comes in many different levels. Animals have a more primitive consciousness than we do.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
22 Jan 06
1 edit

So, if I knock you out your soul stops existing? Your consciousness certainly doesn't exist for the period of time you are unconscious.
Correction, the consciousness of a person who is unconscious doesn’t exist within the confines of their body. Here’s a link to show that our consciousness exists outside of our bodies.

http://www.bibleprobe.com/nde.htm

"For we know that when this tent we live in now is taken down... when we die and leave these bodies...we will have wonderful new bodies in Heaven, homes that will be ours for evermore, made for us by God Himself, without human hands."

II Corinthians 5:1 (Living Bible)