1. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 19:22
    Prompted by a poster by that described another's soul as "worthless," I ask you, the impartial and wise assembled here, can a soul in fact be worthless?

Or, is it possible that a soul may have immutable attributes that make it divine, unalterable by corruption of any sort?
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 19:23
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Prompted by a poster by that described another's soul as "worthless," I ask you, the impartial and wise assembled here, can a soul in fact be worthless?

Or, is it possible that a soul may have immutable attributes that make it divine, unalterable by corruption of any sort?
    By that regime of logic can anything be worthless?
  3. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 19:50

Well, not believing in souls, you couldn't sell me one, so I suppose from a capitalistic point of view they are all worthless amoung certain people.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 16:35

Out souls/wills/spirit/very being make us unique in the universe,
    none are worthless, they make themselves evil, but all can be
    redeemed through God.
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    25 Jun '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 17:02
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Out souls/wills/spirit/very being make us unique in the universe,
    none are worthless, they make themselves evil, but all can be
    redeemed through God.
    Kelly
    to some a thing can be evil and to some the same thing can be a virtue.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jan '06 19:11

Not meaning any disrespect but how do you personally know you
    have a soul? Could it not just be a need of mankind's wish
    fulfilment to invent the idea of soulness?
    If you took it to extreme, it would mean the universe would get
    pretty cluttered up with excess souls.
    Plus, how would new souls get made? Would they come from
    older spirits who left this plane and now are re-assigned to a
    human?
    Suppose for a moment the universe already is filled with
    intelligent life, would not those societies or civilizations have a right
    to say they have souls also? If so, it would seem even more of
    a cluttering an already crowded soul place.
    Think about the concept of trillions of civilizations in our universe
    alone, all containing maybe billions of people all with souls?
    If souls were recycled, why wouldn't there occasionally come a soul
    from a body who died in Alpha Centauri be inserted into an eathly
    human embryo? Would we notice?
  7. Colorado
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 04:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    have a soul? Could it not just be a need of mankind's wish
    fulfilment to invent the idea of soulness?
    If you took it to extreme, it would mean the universe would get
    pretty cluttered up with excess souls.
    Plus, how would new souls get made? Would they come from
    older spirits who left ...[text shortened]...
    human embryo? Would we notice?
    have a soul

Well, don’t expect any proof, but our individual personalities are a pretty good indication. Everybody has unique character traits.

Suppose for a moment the universe already is filled with
    intelligent life, would not those societies or civilizations have a right
    to say they have souls also? If so, it would seem even more of
    a cluttering an already crowded soul place. Think about the concept of trillions of civilizations in our universe
    alone, all containing maybe billions of people all with souls?

Science considers life on earth to be a remarkable fluke, so there probably is not as many civilizations out there as you imagine.

If souls were recycled, why wouldn't there occasionally come a soul
    human embryo?

Why not indeed.

Would we notice?

How could we?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 07:561 edit
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Well, don’t expect any proof, but our individual personalities are a pretty good indication. Everybody has unique character traits.
    Every Cat has an individual personality and so I believe does every living thing that is capable of exibiting a personality. In what way does this imply the existance of something called a soul ?

Science considers life on earth to be a remarkable fluke, so there probably is not as many civilizations out there as you imagine.
    Which science is this? Nobody knows how remarkable or unremarkable life is due to the lack of data on the existance of life on other planets both within the solar system and around other stars.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 08:01
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Well, not believing in souls, you couldn't sell me one, so I suppose from a capitalistic point of view they are all worthless amoung certain people.
    You're not a good enough capitalist. The whole trick is to sell things that don't exist, like those amazing cans of power that make you lose weight overnight so you can finally squeeze out of your trailer home and party with the thin, glamorous people.
  10. Colorado
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 08:223 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Every Cat has an individual personality and so I believe does every living thing that is capable of exibiting a personality. In what way does this imply the existance of something called a soul ?

Science considers life on earth to be a remarkable fluke, so there probably is not as many civilizations out there as you imagine.[/b]
    Which science is t ...[text shortened]... data on the existance of life on other planets both within the solar system and around other stars.

Well, each soul is supposed to be unique, so that uniqueness gets expressed in the different personalities.

Which science is this? Nobody knows how remarkable or unremarkable life is due to the lack of data on the existance of life on other planets both within the solar system and around other stars.

As I understand it science considers it highly remarkable that life as we know it was able to get started on earth. There were many long shots that had to come through.
  11. Forgotten
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 08:322 edits

I always assumed a soul to have some worth,and then i started meeting internet chess players. 😞
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 09:54
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Well, each soul is supposed to be unique, so that uniqueness gets expressed in the different personalities.
    You still have not explained how uniqueness of character implies the existance of a soul. I am sure that every tree is unique, but does it have a soul ?

As I understand it science considers it highly remarkable that life as we know it was able to get started on earth. There were many long shots that had to come through.
    Science does not consider anything. Some scientists think life is highly remarkable, some do not. I personally think it is not.
  13. Cosmos
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 12:17

Souls do not exist.

Therefore the question is meaningless.
  14. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 12:43
    Originally posted by howardgee
    Souls do not exist.

Well, I'm not sure you can use plural, but sure it does. And it's practiced by many great performers, of which I believe James Brown is one of the best.

Get up, (get on up)
    Get up, (get on up)
    Stay on the scene, (get on up), like a sex machine, (get on up)
  15. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Jan '06 16:33
    Originally posted by howardgee
    Souls do not exist.

That is simply your conjecture and nothing else.

Therefore, your response is meaningless.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree