1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 May '05 10:15
    Can information increase without intelligent intervention?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    31 May '05 12:25
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    i think you are going to have to define some terms, such as 'information' and 'intelligent intervention'.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    31 May '05 12:32
    If dj2becker copies and pastes whole pages from other websites, does that act constitute either an increase in information or intelligent intervention?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 May '05 12:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If dj2becker copies and pastes whole pages from other websites, does that act constitute either an increase in information or intelligent intervention?
    If I were to increase the amount of information there would be intelligent intervention.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    31 May '05 13:03
    If I were to increase the amount of information there would be intelligent intervention.
    Does copying and pasting articles from other websites increase the amount of information, or is it merely duplicating the same information? Does intelligent intervention require more than just performing the control-C, control-V keyboard functions?
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 May '05 13:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Does copying and pasting articles from other websites increase the amount of information, or is it merely duplicating the same information? Does intelligent intervention require more than just performing the control-C, control-V keyboard functions?
    Does copying and pasting articles from other websites increase the amount of information, or is it merely duplicating the same information?

No. It is simply duplicating the information.

Does intelligent intervention require more than just performing the control-C, control-V keyboard functions?

Yes. As I said, if I were to add information of my own, I would be using my own intelligence. Even if it were just the prase "Any thoughts?" ๐Ÿ˜‰
  7. Joined
    09 Mar '05
    Moves
    31 May '05 14:07
    Does information increase with intelligent intervention?
  8. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateโ„ข
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    31 May '05 14:17
    [b]Does copying and pasting articles from other websites increase the amount of information, or is it merely duplicating the same information?

Does intelligent intervention require more than just performing the control-C, control-V keyboard functions?

Yes. As I said, if I were to add inform ...[text shortened]... y own, I would be using my own intelligence. Even if it were just the prase "Any thoughts?" ๐Ÿ˜‰[/b]

Yes, you're duplicating the information and then posting it on another site ie: copying and pasting!

Yes. As I said, if I were to add information of my own, I would be using my own intelligence. Even if it were just the prase "Any thoughts?" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not really. All you're doing is adding a question to the information. You're not adding any information, you're just opening up the oppertunity for anyone else who responds to your question to add information.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 May '05 14:48
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    [b]No. It is simply duplicating the information.

Yes, you're duplicating the information and then posting it on another site ie: copying and pasting!

Not really. All you're doing is adding ...[text shortened]... ust opening up the oppertunity for anyone else who responds to your question to add information.[/b]

Nothing is added to the information.

Not really. All you're doing is adding a question to the information. You're not adding any information, you're just opening up the oppertunity for anyone else who responds to your question to add information.

A question is an arrangement of data into a sequence that has meaning. Thus it is an addition of information.
  10. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateโ„ข
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    31 May '05 15:11
    [b]Yes, you're duplicating the information and then posting it on another site ie: copying and pasting!

Nothing is added to the information.

Not really. All you're doing is adding a question to the information. You're not adding any information, you're just opening up the oppertunity for anyone else who responds to your question to add in ...[text shortened]... an arrangement of data into a sequence that has meaning. Thus it is an addition of information.
    Your question 'of any thoughts' isn't adding any information to your copied and pasted source. Your question simply adds the information that you want to know what other people think about it, so in essence you're simplying adding information to yourself as the info poster.

If anyone contributes their opinion in response to your question, then they are adding the info... not you
  11. Joined
    24 May '05
    Moves
    31 May '05 19:13
    The standard answer to your question is "yes" from the scientific viewpoint. Random processes cannot increase information content according to the laws of thermodynamics, but we can increase information content in a subsystem by creating disorder in another. The process that is proposed to do this is natural selection. Selection does, however, have limits as to what it can do. Whether or not it can generate something like the DNA code of life is debatable.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 May '05 19:15
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    i think you are going to have to define some terms, such as 'information' and 'intelligent intervention'.
    I agree.

Here is a thread that investigates this topic in quite a lot of depth:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=22541
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 May '05 19:17
    Originally posted by yousers
    The standard answer to your question is "yes" from the scientific viewpoint. Random processes cannot increase information content according to the laws of thermodynamics, but we can increase information content in a subsystem by creating disorder in another. The process that is proposed to do this is natural selection. Selection does, however, have limi ...[text shortened]... hat it can do. Whether or not it can generate something like the DNA code of life is debatable.
    Wow. Fascinating post. Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚.
  14. Joined
    09 Mar '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 00:31
    This is all nonsense unless "information" is defined precisely. Under Information Theory for example, information is similar to the amount of randomness in a signal. In which case mutations not only can add information, but they usually do.

On the otherhand anti-evolutionists are defining information in terms of the semantics of a signal. Basically they are using an entirely different definition of information.

This is okay but they often don't define information in their arguments. It is as if they think there is only one accepted definition of information and we should all know it.

Then they simply claim that it cannot increase, or more often they demand that others show examples of it increasing. Well we can't because we don't know what "it" is.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 08:25
    Originally posted by PotatoError
    Does information increase with intelligent intervention?
    YES.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree