YES.
    How do you know that?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 05:23
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    If they could they would be doing it because of 'intelligent intervention', ie. human's having designed them.

Besides, I don't know of a computer program in which you can insert millions of letters from the alphabet in a random sequence which will re-arrange the letters into useful information, e.g. such as Shakespeare's works. Yet many people beli ...[text shortened]... simply happen by chance without intelligent intervention. That is exactly what I am questioning.
    Yet many people believe that this can simply happen by chance without intelligent intervention.

I don't think this is true. Where did you get the idea that many people believe this?

But the question at hand is whether such a system is capable of producing life from non-life.

No, that was not the question at hand. Please don't make things up.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 06:51
    Originally posted by PotatoError
    [b]Then how do you know that nature and evolution is not the equivelant of a computer program built by God?

Because nature and evolution does not contain intelligence. i.e. the ability to produce order from chaos in such an extent as to produce life from non-life.

But if God intelligently designed e ...[text shortened]... ]

Gravity: rather than randomly flying about, matter is pulled into ordered orbiting systems.[/b]
    But if God intelligently designed evolution then doesn't that mean evolution has some sort of inherent intelligence of some kind? In which case doesn't that mean evolution can produce order from chaos?

Why would God need to design evolution if he created the universe in 6 days?

Gravity: rather than randomly flying about, matter is pulled into ordered orbiting systems.

Do you think gravity could create life from non-life?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:11
    Originally posted by telerion
    [b]Because nature and evolution does not contain intelligence. i.e. the ability to produce order from chaos in such an extent as to produce life from non-life.

By that definition of intelligence, all higher mammals, including humans, lack intelligence.
    [/b]
    Are you saying that human's will never create life in the laboratory?
  5. NY
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:14
    Are you saying that human's will never create life in the laboratory?
    I think i created life in my tpoilet an hour ago.. it was a scarry beast of imesurable size and ferosity of rank... it had to be euthanized though... it was threatening to overtake the world with a rank unbeknown to mankind...🙄
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:191 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Yes, as the rest of the post said, by offsetting the order from another subsystem. The other subsystem would have a larger increase in disorder. A measure of the total order in all the systems would show an increase in disorder.

Order ...[text shortened]... rgy to increase the potential energy then you will get out of it.
    Yes, as the rest of the post said, by offsetting the order from another subsystem.

I was questioning whether the "offsetting" process required any intelligence.

Basically I am questioning whether such a system could produce life from non-life without intelligent intervention.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How do you know that?
    By simply replying your question I have used 'intelligence' and 'radom data' to produce an ordered response which is useful in contributing to answering your question.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]Yet many people believe that this can simply happen by chance without intelligent intervention.

I don't think this is true. Where did you get the idea that many people believe this?

But the question at hand is whether such a system is capable of producing life from non-life.

No, that was not the question at hand. Please don't make things up.[/b]

Whoever believes in evolution believes this. I gather there are many that believe in evolution.

No, that was not the question at hand. Please don't make things up.

I am not making things up. How else does evolution explain the formation of life from non-life?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:34
    Originally posted by xxxenophobe
    I think i created life in my tpoilet an hour ago.. it was a scarry beast of imesurable size and ferosity of rank... it had to be euthanized though... it was threatening to overtake the world with a rank unbeknown to mankind...🙄
    You sure have a vivid imagination. Only problem is you used intelligence.
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 07:481 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Yes, as the rest of the post said, by offsetting the order from another subsystem. The other subsystem would have a larger increase in disorder. A measure of the total order in all the systems would show an increase in disorder.

Order ...[text shortened]... rgy to increase the potential energy then you will get out of it.
    Isn't it really simply a transfer of energy.
    The basic elements of life Hydrogen, Carbon, Nitrogen and Oxygen are either formed in the Big Bang (Hygrogen) or aproximatelly the same size stars.
    Clouds of organic compounds have been discovered in space, attesting to the availablility of them to be in the matter that formed the earth.

Is it only a coincidence that Life is made of the elements that make up the ecosphere?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 08:45
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Isn't it really simply a transfer of energy.
    The basic elements of life Hydrogen, Carbon, Nitrogen and Oxygen are either formed in the Big Bang (Hygrogen) or aproximatelly the same size stars.
    Clouds of organic compounds have been discovered in space, attesting to the availablility of them to be in the matter ...[text shortened]...
    Is it only a coincidence that Life is made of the elements that make up the ecosphere?
    What caused the big bang? If there was such a thing...
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 08:46
    What caused the big bang? If there was such a thing...
    Don't know and there was
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 10:04
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Don't know and there was
    You don't know what caued the big bang, but still you insist there was one?

Well, I also believe that there was a big bang. But my big bang is slightly different from yours. I know what caused my big bang. I believe God spoke, and BANG! it happened...
  14. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 10:24
    You don't know what caued the big bang, but still you insist there was one?

Well, I also believe that there was a big bang. But my big bang is slightly different from yours. I know what caused my big bang. I believe God spoke, and BANG! it happened...
    There isn't any math to back that statement up.

Ekpyrotics is a more likely and even predicts what was before the scientific equivelent to " In the Begining...."
  15. Joined
    09 Mar '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 11:502 edits
    Do you think gravity could create life from non-life?

No, but I think it can produce order from disorder without intelligent intervention.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree