1. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:48
    Originally posted by Darfius
    So the product proves the process? Uhh...

Christians claim God has set objective right and wrong in our hearts. That's my claim and it makes a lot more sense than individuals coincidentally coming upon the same 'objective' moral laws.
    The same? You're view is tainted by your belief. The atheists and agnostics believe that the morals are a product of our society and history, and they think it's crazy to assign some God as being responsible.

Counterpoint. Prove that morals are not instinctually brought about by our society and evolution.
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:51
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Your notion of objective is mistaken, as is your understanding of how it contrasts with subjective.

If I claim "2 + 2 = 5", I have made an objective claim.
    If I claim "2 + 2 is equal to a big number", I have made a subjective claim.

Similarly, each man can assert an objective moral law. The inconsistency between men's laws does not make ...[text shortened]... o the same conclusion about whether he has violated that law.

Consult a dictionary.

Dr. S
    Main Entry: 1ob·jec·tive
    Pronunciation: &b-'jek-tiv, äb-
    Function: adjective
    1 : of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers <objective reality>
    2 : perceptible to persons other than the affected individual <an objective symptom of disease> <caused objective or subjective clinical improvement or both —Journal of the American Medical Association> —compare SUBJECTIVE 2b —ob·jec·tive·ly adverb

2+2=5 isn't perceptible to me. Consult a dictionary.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:58

2+2=5 isn't perceptible to me. Consult a dictionary.
    "2+2=5" is an abstact shorthand expression that encapsulates an infinitude of concrete claims that lie within the realm of human perception.

If you put two apples on a table, and I put two more apples on the table, will we have 5?
    After perfoming this experiment will we all be able to agree on the truth of the claim using our human perception?

If you put two Bibles on a table, and I put two more Bibles on the table, will we have 5?
    After perfoming this experiment will we all be able to agree on the truth of the claim using our human perception?
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 18:582 edits
    I wonder if Darfius has read Plato's "Euthyphro."

The claim that objective morality comes from his god makes no sense at all. Just take a little stroll through the fifth book of the Bible.

Also Darfius should read (re-read) "Euthyphro" by Plato.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:021 edit
    Originally posted by telerion

Editted into irrelevancy!
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:03
    True. Darfius is in the first year, not the first two years.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:07
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Editted into irrelevancy!
    Yes. I read through my post again after I hit "Post," and discovered an embarrasing error. It had to be concealed!
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:09
    Originally posted by telerion
    Yes. I read through my post again after I hit "Post," and discovered an embarrasing error. It had to be concealed!
    I admire your ninja like ability to suppress public knowledge of your mistakes. You should run for President!
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:101 edit
    Whether or not there exist or can exist objective moral values depends on the precise definition of "morality".
  10. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:13
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    "2+2=5" is an abstact shorthand expression that encapsulates an infinitude of concrete claims that lie within the realm of human perception.

If you put two apples on a table, and I put two more apples on the table, will we have 5?
    After perfoming this experiment will we all be able to agree on the truth of the claim using our human perception? ...[text shortened]... experiment will we all be able to agree on the truth of the claim using our human perception?
    Your analogies are irrelevant. 2+2=5 is not percebtible to me. I don't perceive in falsehoods.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:14
    I don't perceive in falsehoods.
    LMAO!
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:14
    Your analogies are irrelevant. 2+2=5 is not percebtible to me. I don't perceive in falsehoods.
    The irony of this made me choke on my cup of tea.
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:15
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    The same? You're view is tainted by your belief. The atheists and agnostics believe that the morals are a product of our society and history, and they think it's crazy to assign some God as being responsible.

Counterpoint. Prove that morals are not instinctually brought about by our society and evolution.
    Of course I can't prove that morals don't come about from society. They do. My question is whether OBJECTIVE moral values come from society.

In other words, is the cannibalism going on in the Congo right now wrong? Why or why not?
  14. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 19:37
    Of course I can't prove that morals don't come about from society. They do. My question is whether OBJECTIVE moral values come from society.

In other words, is the cannibalism going on in the Congo right now wrong? Why or why not?
    I don't live in the congo, you tell me why it's wrong for them to live as they do. And then tell me why it is acceptle to them, as their society seems to have evolved that way.

I would even venture to say that their gods are ok with these actions. So their actions and morality have evolved with their society.
  15. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 20:351 edit
    Only truth leads to an objective conclusion. Therefore, objective morality can only exist when we have one universal framework under which all enties have "faith". The existence of God is no more relevant to moral objectivity than the existence of a Grand Unified Equation, from which morality can be derived.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree