1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '10 21:50
    Originally posted by duecer
    If I walk in beggars clothes to impress the world of my "spiritual sanctity" yet I go home every night to my $10 million home with servants etc...Then nothing was really accomplished. Giving away large sums of money in a public manner does no good either; sort of reminds me of "should pray in our closets". I think giving away ones wealth from a desire to plea ...[text shortened]... n here; though I think the ability to do so (generally) flows from a spiritual awakening.
    there are several rather interesting biblical principle which helps a Christian to be balanced with regard to the riches of the system, and the subject deserves a thread all of its own, however consider these,

(Proverbs 23:4-5) . . .Do not toil to gain riches. Cease from your own understanding. Have you caused your eyes to glance at it, when it is nothing? For without fail it makes wings for itself like those of an eagle and flies away toward the heavens.

(showing the transient nature of wealth and perhaps the futility of striving for it)

(Proverbs 30:8-9) . . .Give me neither poverty nor riches. Let me devour the food prescribed for me,  that I may not become satisfied and I actually deny you and say: “Who is Jehovah?” and that I may not come to poverty and I actually steal and assail the name of my God.

(the admonition is of course one of balance, for the acculturation of riches may cause one to feel self reliant and we may forget our God, and of course poverty may lead us to compromise our conscience by bring reproach upon God in the process)

(1 Timothy 6:7-8) . . .For we have brought nothing into the world, and neither can we carry anything out.  So, having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things.

(the balanced view is that if we have enough to feed our families and a roof over our heads we should be content, for it is well understood that billions go to bed hungry, each and every day and by the time you have read this, some children will be dead from malnutrition)

(1 Timothy 6:17-19) 17 Give orders to those who are rich in the present system of things not to be high-minded, and to rest their hope, not on uncertain riches, but on God, who furnishes us all things richly for our enjoyment; 18 to work at good, to be rich in fine works, to be liberal, ready to share, 19 safely treasuring up for themselves a fine foundation for the future, in order that they may get a firm hold on the real life.

(if we are fortunate enough to be wealthy, the admonition is that we are liberal, ready to share and not high minded because of them)
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 00:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there are several rather interesting biblical principle which helps a Christian to be balanced with regard to the riches of the system, and the subject deserves a thread all of its own, however consider these,

(Proverbs 23:4-5) . . .Do not toil to gain riches. Cease from your own understanding. Have you caused your eyes to glance at it, when it i ...[text shortened]... lthy, the admonition is that we are liberal, ready to share and not high minded because of them)
    In general I agree with this
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 00:552 edits
    In general I agree with this
    As you are probably ware dear deucer, Christ and rather interestingly Paul, who was from a wealthy family, went even further. Christ calls attention to the deceptive power of riches, in that an undue concern for gaining material wealth can really affect our spirituality.

(Matthew 13:22) As for the one sown among the thorns, this is the one hearing the word, but the anxiety of this system of things and the deceptive power of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.

and Paul states in similar way,

(1 Timothy 6:9)  However, those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare and many senseless and hurtful desires, which plunge men into destruction and ruin. . .

What do you think my friend, for is there not something to be said for a simple life? Its of course really difficult especially if one has kids for the peer pressure on young kids to have, this brand and that brand is enormous.
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 19:521 edit
    As you are probably ware dear deucer, Christ and rather interestingly Paul, who was from a wealthy family, went even further. Christ calls attention to the deceptive power of riches, in that an undue concern for gaining material wealth can really affect our spirituality.

(Matthew 13:22) As for the one sown among the thorns, this is the one hearin ...[text shortened]... one has kids for the peer pressure on young kids to have, this brand and that brand is enormous.
    I prefer the simple life...and simple pleasures: fresh baked bread, sunrise viewed from a mountain top, warm summer rain, sounds of children laughing at play, the touch of my wifes hand holding mine...what could be better? Money doesn't buy these things eh?
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 20:131 edit
    I prefer the simple life...and simple pleasures: fresh baked bread, sunrise viewed from a mountain top, warm summer rain, sounds of children laughing at play, the touch of my wifes hand holding mine...what could be better? Money doesn't buy these things eh?
    I'm back Manny not to prove your right, which you are in the case, but to respond to this thought that some on the forum have pressed the JW's on and that is not always seeking a higher education as a priority.
    It's not that we don't want to prosper and have the means to take care of ourselves and our families. We take that obligation very seriously.
    But because at our baptism we promised to God our complete devotion and that we will serve him. And as has been discussed here in the later part of this thread, we do not seek the riches that sometimes come with higher education because it is a snare for many. The USA is a fine example of how the economy has fallen and much of that has to be blamed on the pursuit of money and the living beyond ones means. Now millions here have been tricked into that snare and are suffering greatly. And it even now affects millions of others who are innocently caught up in this tidalwave of greed and are now loosing their jobs and homes because of this.
    Again there has to be a balance in ones life and seeking that higher education isn't always a sound way to serve God.
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 21:31
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I'm back Manny not to prove your right, which you are in the case, but to respond to this thought that some on the forum have pressed the JW's on and that is not always seeking a higher education as a priority.
    It's not that we don't want to prosper and have the means to take care of ourselves and our families. We take that obligation very seriously. ...[text shortened]... lance in ones life and seeking that higher education isn't always a sound way to serve God.
    seeking higher education doesn't have to be an either or choice. Teachers, Doctors, nurses and many other proffesional jobs require college degrees, and can be an extension of one's faith. There are plenty of ways to earn more money than a teacher, but there are few jobs as rewarding as helping to shape young minds.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 22:49
    seeking higher education doesn't have to be an either or choice. Teachers, Doctors, nurses and many other proffesional jobs require college degrees, and can be an extension of one's faith. There are plenty of ways to earn more money than a teacher, but there are few jobs as rewarding as helping to shape young minds.
    And there are many JW's that are in those fields and not one JW would ever look down on another for doing that. So it is up to ones decision as to what and not to pursue in their choise of profession.
    But the Watchtower Society suggest that ones really pray over the matter and to remember the advice from the Bible about the wealth one of those professions might bring and more importantly the time envolved in the amount of years it would take to reach that goal. Again we have dedicated our life's to God and we take seriously the strong advise not to pursue certain avenues in life as we honestly believe the time left in this system is short and there is still a huge amount that needs to be done in the ministry work that Jesus said would have to be done.
  8. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 23:49
    And there are many JW's that are in those fields and not one JW would ever look down on another for doing that. So it is up to ones decision as to what and not to pursue in their choise of profession.
    But the Watchtower Society suggest that ones really pray over the matter and to remember the advice from the Bible about the wealth one of those professi ...[text shortened]... huge amount that needs to be done in the ministry work that Jesus said would have to be done.
    I agrre that young people should approach life decisions prayerfully, but they shouldn't ask themselves questions like the one's you have proposed, I respectfully disagree.
    It seems strange to me that JW's are willing to take advatage of the profesions that can save their earthly lives (doctors and nurses) and then approach the the decision to become a healer with trepidation. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it is...in a word...hypocritical
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 01:30
    I agrre that young people should approach life decisions prayerfully, but they shouldn't ask themselves questions like the one's you have proposed, I respectfully disagree.
    It seems strange to me that JW's are willing to take advatage of the profesions that can save their earthly lives (doctors and nurses) and then approach the the decision to become a healer with trepidation. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it is...in a word...hypocritical
    Well we just try to approach life from a Biblical and spiritual view to the future. The Bible says to put ones hope in him and what he's promissed us all for the future. And it's most of our decisions to be happy with our sevice to him.
    I personally feel there's plenty of people much smarter then myself so I'm not a threat to stop anyone else from pursuing a carrier as a doctor or lawyer or whatever. The world seems to be full of ones who have that as a desire and knowledge and I'm not one to stand in their way as I'm no competition in their line of work. More power to them and I am thankful for the knowledge that ones such as doctors do have to help us.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 01:43
    But the Watchtower Society suggest that ones really pray over the matter and to remember the advice from the Bible about the wealth one of those professi ...[text shortened]... huge amount that needs to be done in the ministry work that Jesus said would have to be done.
    This is interesting. I once had a run-in with a couple of JWs at my gate (no, I dont let those jokers in my house). I told them to stop trying to preach to me becuase Im a Christian, and they should focus on people who dont know of Christ. Well, they told me some nonsense about Christians not having the' truth', and that we are lost.

So Galveston, if its only the JWs have the ability to spread the so-called 'truth', that Christ said would have to be done, and the JWs are so small in number, then how do you think you can spread the doctrine of Christ all over the world. Its obvious you cant be the only Christian sect that is spreading the gospel of Christ.
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 03:25
    It's not that we don't want to prosper and have the means to take care of ourselves and our families. We take that obligation very seriously. ...[text shortened]... lance in ones life and seeking that higher education isn't always a sound way to serve God.
    Post away. 🙂 I'm going to try not to attack you guys just for the sake of attacking. I think we have things in common we just see some things differently. Don't sell yourself short because God gave you a brain and knowledge used for noble godly pursuits is good.

Manny
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 06:09
    yes you are correct, reminds me of a Beetles song.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 09:443 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    This is interesting. I once had a run-in with a couple of JWs at my gate (no, I dont let those jokers in my house). I told them to stop trying to preach to me becuase Im a Christian, and they should focus on people who dont know of Christ. Well, they told me some nonsense about Christians not having the' truth', and that we are lost.

So Galveston, if its rld. Its obvious you cant be the only Christian sect that is spreading the gospel of Christ.
    mmm, by sitting on our butts once a week at church and having a jumble sale every month and a bingo session every Tuesday. How many other persons have came to your gate willing to discuss the Bible, do tell.

My friend was standing as someone's door, it was snowing heavily and nine below zero, we had to laugh as the person from the comfort of their warm cosy house informed us that they were already Christians, Lol I had to laugh, what were we I wondered.

“How can you expect a man who's warm to understand one who's cold?” written by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, from one day in the life of One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, a novel about life in the Siberian labour camps,

indeed, how can one claim to be a Christian if one does not practice what Christ practised, how can one know Christ unless one walks the walk? do tell!
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 10:54
    mmm, by sitting on our butts once a week at church and having a jumble sale every month and a bingo session every Tuesday. How many other persons have came to your gate willing to discuss the Bible, do tell.

My friend was standing as someone's door, it was snowing heavily and nine below zero, we had to laugh as the person from the comfort of th ...[text shortened]... t practice what Christ practised, how can one know Christ unless one walks the walk? do tell!
    JWs are just salesmen for Charles Russell. The JW doctrine and teaching bears little or no resemblance to what Christ taught.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 11:001 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    JWs are just salesmen for Charles Russell. The JW doctrine and teaching bears little or no resemblance to what Christ taught.
    yawn

try addressing the post why dont you

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree