Can the real atheists please stand up?

Can the real atheists please stand up?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jun 18

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
How was that established?
Are you saying the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist?
What proof do you have?

Of course you cannot answer, your reply will be that you cannot take me seriously.
Cheap get out.
The onus is on you to provide evidence for the tooth fairy’s existence. You can’t do it. If you want a link to an article that gives a 30,000-foot view of *some* of the evidence for Jesus Christ’s Resurrection, let me know. I won’t hold my breath.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jun 18

I have a heart shaped birthmark on my calf.

If yesterday someone asked me if apathist had a belief
in my birthmark I would have to say you lacked belief in it.

You didn't have to think about it - you didn't have to make a decision.

Babies are atheists.
Simple.
That was the most asinine post I’ve read on here. It literally makes no sense. Just a word salad.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jun 18

An eye-witness account would be great.
That would be evidence.

You would have thought that the Romans would have documented something.
You think Christianity was welcomed by the Romans and Jewish religious leaders?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jun 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
That was the most asinine post I’ve read on here. It literally makes no sense. Just a word salad.
Which part do you not understand?
I'll help you out.
Or ask a responsible adult.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jun 18

You think Christianity was welcomed by the Romans and Jewish religious leaders?
No.
Got anything relevant to say?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

No.
Got anything relevant to say?
Why would they publicize something they were trying to stamp out?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

Which part do you not understand?
I'll help you out.
Or ask a responsible adult.
The “responsible adult” would have to be on an acid trip to make sense of that post. Were you on one when you wrote it? Or just drunk?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jun 18

Why would they publicize something they were trying to stamp out?
Not publicise. Document.
The Romans documented everything of value.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jun 18

The “responsible adult” would have to be on an acid trip to make sense of that post. Were you on one when you wrote it? Or just drunk?
I'll ask again: which part did you not understand?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

Not publicise. Document.
The Romans documented everything of value.
If you knew the Gospel accounts, you would know the Pharisees paid off the Romans who were guarding Jesus’ tomb to not say what had really occurred.

“Now when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.

And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers,

Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept.

And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you.

So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.”

(Matthew 22:11-15)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

I'll ask again: which part did you not understand?
The whole post is an incoherent mess, not just one part.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jun 18

The whole post is an incoherent mess, not just one part.
Shall we take it one sentence at a time?

I have a heart shaped birthmark on my calf.

Do you understand that?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
02 Jun 18

If you knew the Gospel accounts, ...
Third hand accounts written many years after JC?
You think that an historical document?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Jun 18

Eyewitness accounts. Or do you dispute that John and Matthew personally witnessed what they wrote?

You’re on the extreme end of atheism in that you don’t even believe someone named Jesus Christ existed and was crucified. Even secular historians who have done far more research than you into the subject believe that.

Why do you believe Jesus Christ did not exist? Do you have any reasons at all?

Moves
04 Jun 18

A Growing Number of Scholars Are Questioning the Historical Existence of Jesus.

Today more and more, historians and bloggers alike are questioning whether the actual man called Jesus existed. Unfortunately, many of the writings we do have are tainted, the authors being religious scholars or atheists with an axe to grind. One important point is the lack of historical sources. In the bible, whole chunks of his life are missing. Jesus goes from age 12 to 30, without any word of what happened in-between.

What we do have are lots of sources completed several decades after the fact, by authors of the gospels who wanted to promote the faith. The gospels themselves are contradictory. For instance, they tell competing Easter stories. Another problem, there aren’t any real names attached to many of them, but rather an apostle’s who “signed off” on the manuscript. There is also evidence that the gospels were heavily edited over the years.

St. Paul is the only one to write about events chronologically. Even then, few facts about Jesus are divulged. Paul’s Epistles rest on the “Heavenly Jesus,” but never mention the living man. For such an important revolutionary and religious figure, there are surprisingly no eyewitness counts. And the writings we do have are biased. Roman historians Josephus and Tacitus do make a few, scant remarks about his life. But that was a century after Jesus’s time. So they may have garnered their information from early Christians. And those threadbare accounts are controversial too, since the manuscripts had been altered over time by Christian scribes whose job it was to preserve them.

Ehrman focuses on the lack of witnesses. “What sorts of things do pagan authors from the time of Jesus have to say about him? Nothing. As odd as it may seem, there is no mention of Jesus at all by any of his pagan contemporaries. There are no birth records, no trial transcripts, no death certificates; there are no expressions of interest, no heated slanders, no passing references – nothing.”

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/a-growing-number-of-scholars-are-questioning-the-existence-of-jesus