1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 00:41
    A non Christians dies and finds himself awaiting judgement at the Pearly Gates. He's told that Hell is his final reward for not seeing it the Christian way. Something about that story seems wrong to me. How about you ?
    There is nothing about the Christian story that appeals to me. Does that make me an evil person that should go to Hell ?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 02:41
    Originally posted by buckky
    A non Christians dies and finds himself awaiting judgement at the Pearly Gates. He's told that Hell is his final reward for not seeing it the Christian way. Something about that story seems wrong to me. How about you ?
    There is nothing about the Christian story that appeals to me. Does that make me an evil person that should go to Hell ?
    Yes. It seems like fear mongering is totally the wrong way to convince some of "Gods love"

The christian story seems to have many different versions , but conversion through fear is not really a proper conversion at all. Thats how I make my distinctions. Fear of eternal punishment in hell held me back from exploring spirituality when I was younger but in the end, I guess it has made me more wiser to the subtle tactics that fear mongerers use.
    Let love rule
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 02:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yes. It seems like fear mongering is totally the wrong way to convince some of "Gods love"

The christian story seems to have many different versions , but conversion through fear is not really a proper conversion at all. Thats how I make my distinctions. Fear of eternal punishment in hell held me back from exploring spirituality when I was younger bu ...[text shortened]... guess it has made me more wiser to the subtle tactics that fear mongerers use.
    Let love rule
    i cannot think of one instance where Christ taught others out of a sense of guilt or of fear 🙂
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 02:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i cannot think of one instance where Christ taught others out of a sense of guilt or of fear 🙂
    Thats exactly what I was thinking.

However , are you going to tell me that 'christians' haven't used this technique?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 03:08
    Thats exactly what I was thinking.

However , are you going to tell me that 'christians' haven't used this technique?
    Jesus is one thing, christians quite another 🙂
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 05:081 edit
    So which category would you fall into? The fear mongerers or the "Love advocates"?
    Judging by your posts I would say the latter, however you do have a slightly ambiguous posting history. Perhaps you like a little from column A and a little from column B🙂
  7. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 08:45
    Originally posted by buckky
    Well, YOUR story is all wrong, you have just made it up. 😉 - That's the problem.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 09:07
    Right, Jeus wasn't christian, he was a jew.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 09:08
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    Well, YOUR story is all wrong, you have just made it up. 😉 - That's the problem.
    The very concept of pearly gate, heaven and hell, is made up, you're very right there, Nick.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 09:50
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The very concept of pearly gate, heaven and hell, is made up, you're very right there, Nick.
    Of course its made up! The point is whether its a good story or not.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 09:58
    Of course its made up! The point is whether its a good story or not.
    Did you fall for it? Then it's a good story. 🙂
    Some parts of the bible are actually written on April 1st.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 10:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Did you fall for it? Then it's a good story. 🙂
    Some parts of the bible are actually written on April 1st.
    Did I fall for the 'pearly gates' story? LoL! Are you kidding . They tried it on me when I was 5 . It didn't work then and has become more laughable eversince.
    Having said that, I do think the story has value for some
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 13:05
    Matthew 25:45-46

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Sounds to me like he's trying to instill fear of everlasting punishment here.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 13:09
    Originally posted by rwingett

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. [b]And these shall go away into everlasting punishment
    : but the righteous into life eternal.

Sounds to me like he's trying to instill fear of everlasting punishment here.[/b]
    Jesus doesn't seems to be a nice guy...
  15. Illinois
    Moves
    27 Jan '10 13:30
    Originally posted by rwingett

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. [b]And these shall go away into everlasting punishment
    : but the righteous into life eternal.

Sounds to me like he's trying to instill fear of everlasting punishment here.[/b]
    I was wondering when someone was going to point out the obvious.

The fact is, Jesus talked more about hell than almost any other single subject.

Jesus is indeed trying to instill fear of everlasting punishment. Not, though, in order to manipulate people, as some have proffered here, but in order to warn others of the impending reality of hell (i.e., eternal separation from God, the source of all good).

Dismiss Jesus' words at your own peril.

P.S. Don't take rwingett's word for it that Jesus didn't say the majority of what is attributed to him in the gospels. It is easy to swallow hook, line and sinker that which agrees with what we are already inclined to believe. I would council you to challenge yourself by investigating the reliability of the gospels. There are many excellent books on the subject. A good place to start would be, "The Case For Christ," by Lee Strobel. Strobel challenges the top experts in the world with the deepest and most current skepticism of the authenticity of Jesus's life and ministry as recorded in the gospels, and his book references many relevant books along the way. Plus, it's just a good read.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree