1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 00:31
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    How do you square John 8:7 with this view of yours?
    Adultery is not murder.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 00:35
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Well that's some interesting cases you picked on there Suzianne. To the best of my knowledge, it has never actually been proven that Charles Manson ever killed anybody. Certainly it looks likely, but is that certain enough for you? If it is, well, your legal system is going to end up taking the occasional innocent life, isn't it? And if you're the on ...[text shortened]... learly deranged Ted Bundy and, well, whoever you feel like tagging as Jack the Ripper?
    I'm surprised that you didn't seize upon the fact that these three committed the majority of their crimes against women as a reason to poo poo my opinion.

Do you seriously want me to believe any of these three are innocent?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 00:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i cannot answer it fully as my virtual library is on my PC, not my laptop. I think i did
    intimate that the Bible speaks of Christ as being a guarantee (literally a title deed) that
    we inherit and the Christian, having faith the Christ was resurrected is the reason for
    our hope. Thats it, not very complicated or particularly profound.
    Hope? Is that all you have?

We were promised. That's good enough for me.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 00:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm surprised that you didn't seize upon the fact that these three committed the majority of their crimes against women as a reason to poo poo my opinion.

Please explain to me how you devise a system of criminal detection that NEVER makes
    a false positive (ie convicts an innocent).

Until you can do so you have to devise a system that can correct for the mistakes it
    will inevitably make.

As execution is uncorrectable it must be ruled out.

And this is before you get to any of the moral reasons for not having the death penalty.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 08:291 edit
    Adultery is not murder.
    So 'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone' is only applicable to adultery?! Next you'll be telling me the parable of the Good Samaritan only applies to Jews or Samaritans.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Nov '12 18:51

I don't really draw a distinction on the value of life based on gender, and I'm really not trying to belittle your opinion, I'm just asking what seem to me to be obvious questions.

Personally, I support the idea of a death penalty in certain circumstances. I would certainly not be prepared to carry out the sentences though, which poses a problem for me when it comes to arguing in it's favour. I'll admit I'm astonished to hear such strident support from people who call themselves christians however. The concept appears to me to be directly opposed to Christ's teachings, but hey, I'm no expert.

And I never said any of those three were innocent. I said one was not proven guilty, one was pretty clearly insane and one was unidentified. That's not innocent, but it's not enough for me to want to see 'em hang. Well, perhaps the insane one, but I'm alright with hanging crazy people - a lot of folk find that unacceptable.

How about child murderers? Are you familiar with the Jamie Bulger case? Would you have fried those guys?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree