1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 08:34
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    My misunderstanding. I am glad that you agree. I thought you were arguing against capital punishment, because you thought it was murder by the state government.
    I am arguing against Capital Punishment.
    Keep up!
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 09:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I am arguing against Capital Punishment.
    Keep up!
    So your agrument is that you just don't like capital punishment because it could be you.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 10:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes, I support capital punishment.

Yes, I would pull the switch on Charles Manson or Ted Bundy... or Jack the Ripper... in a heartbeat.
    Well that's some interesting cases you picked on there Suzianne. To the best of my knowledge, it has never actually been proven that Charles Manson ever killed anybody. Certainly it looks likely, but is that certain enough for you? If it is, well, your legal system is going to end up taking the occasional innocent life, isn't it? And if you're the one pushing the button, well, how does that square with your faith? Ted Bundy - I guess you've got him bang-to-rights, although one would have to say that he's quite obviously insane. You're happy executing psychotics? As for Jack-the-Ripper - well, first of all you have to figure out who he was! I'm not even convinced that the 'Ripper' letters were sent by the killer, let alone which of the many suggested suspects actually did the deeds.

I don't claim to be an expert on these things, but arguments which attempt to justify the death penalty based on scripture look pretty weak and contrived to me in comparison with those in opposition. Would you not be concerned for your own soul in executing the possibly innocent (of murder anyway) Charles Manson, the clearly deranged Ted Bundy and, well, whoever you feel like tagging as Jack the Ripper?
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 11:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes, I support capital punishment.

Yes, I would pull the switch on Charles Manson or Ted Bundy... or Jack the Ripper... in a heartbeat.
    How do you square John 8:7 with this view of yours?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 13:02
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    How do you square John 8:7 with this view of yours?
    with a set square tada! ba ching! 😞
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 14:43
    So your agrument is that you just don't like capital punishment because it could be you.
    Ok RJHinds.... Answer me this.

Is executing someone who has not committed a crime a bad thing?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Nov '12 22:37
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Ok RJHinds.... Answer me this.

Is executing someone who has not committed a crime a bad thing?
    Christ Jesus was executed by the Romans and not even found guilty of a crime by the Roman authorities. The Pharisees considered it a good thing so they could remain in power. I think most Christians also consider it a good thing, because it gives us a chance for salvation of our souls.

In the USA, we execute only those few people that have been found guilty by a jury of a horrible crime, usually consisting of multple murders. This was not always true. We do not consider it good to execute an innocent person. Therefore, today many safeguards have been put in place to protect those sentenced to the death penalty and it is almost impossible for an innocent person to be put to death.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 00:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    please note, before i am accused of being evasive, i will try to answer as best i can, later.
    Any news on this front, robbie?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 00:33
    Christ Jesus was executed by the Romans and not even found guilty of a crime by the Roman authorities. The Pharisees considered it a good thing so they could remain in power. I think most Christians also consider it a good thing, because it gives us a chance for salvation of our souls.

In the USA, we execute only those few people that have been found gu ...[text shortened]... nced to the death penalty and it is almost impossible for an innocent person to be put to death.
    Bit hard to compare todays laws with the laws of 2000+ yrs ago.
    Get into the spirit of the questions or else you wont be taken seriously
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 00:34
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Any news on this front, robbie?
    i cannot answer it fully as my virtual library is on my PC, not my laptop. I think i did
    intimate that the Bible speaks of Christ as being a guarantee (literally a title deed) that
    we inherit and the Christian, having faith the Christ was resurrected is the reason for
    our hope. Thats it, not very complicated or particularly profound.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 01:32
    i cannot answer it fully as my virtual library is on my PC, not my laptop. I think i did
    intimate that the Bible speaks of Christ as being a guarantee (literally a title deed) that
    we inherit and the Christian, having faith the Christ was resurrected is the reason for
    our hope. Thats it, not very complicated or particularly profound.
    I am not sure I understand. You're claiming that the good evidential reason you have for believing that you will be resurrected is that you're committed to its being historically accurate that Jesus was resurrected? How does that constitute a good evidential reason for the proposition that you will be resurrected? According to RJHinds, Jesus resurrected himself (in whatever way that is supposed to work), which bears no actual resemblance to the resurrection process as you described it. And how does this reason assuage our concerns that, within your description of the supposed resurrection process, the entity S2 may well be just be, in fact, a different person than S1?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 16:07
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I am not sure I understand. You're claiming that the good evidential reason you have for believing that you will be resurrected is that you're committed to its being historically accurate that Jesus was resurrected? How does that constitute a good evidential reason for the proposition that you will be resurrected? According to RJHinds, Jesus resurrecte ...[text shortened]... resurrection process, the entity S2 may well be just be, in fact, a different person than S1?
    how did Jesus resurrect himself, he was dead! its a further absurdity of the trinitarian
    dogma, don't listen to him, he is a blind fool. Yes the fact that Christ was resurrected
    by God provides a kind of guarantee.
  13. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 17:55

In the USA, we execute only those few people that have been found gu ...[text shortened]... nced to the death penalty and it is almost impossible for an innocent person to be put to death.
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/executed-possibly-innocent
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 21:40
    how did Jesus resurrect himself, he was dead! its a further absurdity of the trinitarian
    dogma, don't listen to him, he is a blind fool. Yes the fact that Christ was resurrected
    by God provides a kind of guarantee.
    Ok, so you're not committed to the idea that Jesus resurrected himself. Thanks for that clarification. Presumably, then, you think Jesus was resurrected by God is the same sort of way that you describe the general resurrection process.

I still completely fail to see how the idea that Jesus was resurrected is a good reason for you believe that you will be resurrected. But, more importantly, you have not in any way addressed the concerns that we have raised concerning whether or not one should think that S1 and S2 are personally identical. What made the resurrected "Jesus" numerically identical with the "Jesus" who died on the cross?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 21:41
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Bit hard to compare todays laws with the laws of 2000+ yrs ago.
    Get into the spirit of the questions or else you wont be taken seriously
    You take me seriously sometimes? 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree