Catholicism and the Intrinsically Disordered

Catholicism and the Intrinsically Disordered

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
24 Sep 05
1 edit

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/21/news/pope.php

Ivanhoe and lucifershammer, are you in favor of this proposed ban on the "intrinsically disordered" and those with "perverse inclinations" entering the priesthood? Do you think it is "necessary to restore the church's credibility?"

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
24 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

Ivanhoe and lucifershammer, are you in favor of this proposed ban on the "intrinsically disordered" and those with "perverse inclinations" entering the priesthood? Do you think it is "necessary to restore the church's credibility?"
As I said before it is better to wait for the official declaration. It has not been published yet. Discussing some unpublished document would mean speculation.

A matter that could be discussed however is what kind of measures you would be inclined to take in order to avoid what happened. How are you, dear Doctor, going to prevent sexual abuse from taking place in the RC Church and when, God forbids, anything would happen despite your measures how would you proceed to handle things in an appropiate way ?

Which measures would you propose, dear doctor ?

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
24 Sep 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe

Have the Pope start burning child molesting priests at the stake. The Church has certainly applied that punishment for lesser crimes.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
24 Sep 05

As I said before it is better to wait for the official declaration. It has not been published yet. Discussing some unpublished document would mean speculation.

A matter that could be discussed however is what kind of measures you would be inclined to take in order to avoid what happened. How are you, dear Doctor, going to prevent sexual abuse from taking ...[text shortened]... oceed to handle things in an appropiate way ?

You were asked what you think , not to speculate on what the church will do or should do . Are you for it or against it ?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
24 Sep 05

Have the Pope start burning child molesting priests at the stake. The Church has certainly applied that punishment for lesser crimes.
Indeed, roasting them alive seems to be an adequate response. In public, I hope ....

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
24 Sep 05

But surely child rapists can be reabilitated? Given jobs as crossing gaurds, ice cream truck drivers, birthday clowns, etc... Burning seems a tad harsh.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
25 Sep 05

A matter that could be discussed however is what kind of measures you would be inclined to take in order to avoid what happened. How are you, dear Doctor, going to prevent sexual abuse from taking place in the RC Church and when, God forbids, anything would happen despite your measures how would you proceed to handle things in an appropiate way ?
I thought the Church took an approach of 'hate the sin, love the sinner.'

If a person with homosexual inclinations solemnly vows to be celibate,
then why would the Church refuse him ordination?

And, make no mistake Ivanhoe: Homosexuality and child sexual abuse
have no statistical correlative relationship. So don't compare apples and
oranges.

Nemesio

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
25 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Nemesio

If a person with homosexual inclinations solemnly vows to be celibate,
then why would the Church refuse him ordination?
What folly it would be to take the word of somebody who is intrinsically disordered.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
25 Sep 05

A matter that could be discussed however is what kind of measures you would be inclined to take in order to avoid what happened. How are you, dear Doctor, going to prevent sexual abuse from taking ...[text shortened]... oceed to handle things in an appropiate way ?

The obvious solution is to teach kids not to go around seducing priests. Seriously, though, the obvious solution is to allow priests to marry.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
25 Sep 05
3 edits

Originally posted by bbarr
The obvious solution is to teach kids not to go around seducing priests. Seriously, though, the obvious solution is to allow priests to marry.
What sort of polygamist are you? They are already married to the Church.

There you go, Ivanhoe, your example of bbarr promoting polygamy. Check that one off your list and you're down to beasts and dead people.
I see a free subscription in your future.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
25 Sep 05

There you go, Ivanhoe, your example of bbarr promoting polygamy. Check that one off your list and you're down to beasts and dead people.
LMFAO

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Sep 05
1 edit

Dr. Scribbles: "There you go, Ivanhoe, your example of bbarr promoting polygamy."

I never claimed such a thing, therefore your reference cannot serve as an example of anything.

Your logic may be good, Dear Doctor, but you sure need working on your premises.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Sep 05
2 edits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: What good does logic do for you if you mess up your premises ?

Answer: It makes your conclusions look so good.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Dear Doctor, wouldn't that be a perfect and interesting subject to present and discuss its scope and consequenses in one of your famous "Ivory Tower" threads ?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
25 Sep 05
2 edits

Isn't life-long chastity often a sort of "perverse inclination" already? Certainly, it's "unnatural" in some robust sense. Mating is, for smart mammals like us, as natural as eating or drinking.

I am not sure, however, that all practitioners of life-long chastity are "intrinsically disordered". The disorder, when it is a disorder (and I don't think it always is) strikes me as more extrinsic, a product of Catholic culture.

More importantly, if it is the case that making chastity mandatory casually contributes to child molestation--by denying that subset of priests who are liable to developing sexual attraction to children any alternative avenue of sexual expression--then I believe that the Vatican is morally obliged to make chastity optional for priests.

Compare: If it were mandated, as a policy, that all males who wanted to be teachers of primary school kids could never henceforth fornicate with adults of their own age, would this increase child abuse by such teachers? And would banning all gays from teaching solve the problem as effectively as letting such teachers fornicate freely with men or women of their own age?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Sep 05

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
Isn't life-long chastity often a sort of "perverse inclination" already? Certainly, it's "unnatural" in some robust sense. Mating is, for smart mammals like us, as natural as eating or drinking.

I am not sure, however, that all practitioners of life-long chastity are "intrinsically disordered". The disorder, when it is a disorder (and I don ...[text shortened]... lem as effectively as letting such teachers fornicate freely with men or women of their own age?
Pawn: "..... that all practitioners of life-long chastity ...... a product of Catholic culture."

.... and what about Buddhist monks ?