1. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 16:55
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Again, you're confusing a passion for knowledge with a process of debate. Any debate won on emotion is nothing more than good acting making an impression on the audience. It is not a solid, clear and well tested position.
    Not so...
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 16:58
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Raymond Smullyan hypothesized (in his The Tao Is Silent) that perhaps it is analogous to a hypnotic suggestion, perhaps nurtured and deepened over time by cultural conditioning. And maybe for those of us who cross religious boundaries fairly readily, even as non-theists, but nevertheless find some profound aesthetic value in various religious express ...[text shortened]... if one could use a self-hypnotic suggestion to unravel all prior suggestions or conditioning...
    More times than I care to remember, I have come to a point of realisation and then thought 'wow, now I see that I'll go back to looking at what I know of the world with that in mind' and yet I just go back to thinking of how someone else with this realisation would view the world. Forever am I caught in a kind of Uncertainty Principle, cursed to measure the world and thus change the true measurement I intend to take.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 17:00
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Not so...
    Perhaps you have a different definition of debate here, but winning a debate through anything other than presentation of facts, discourse over the strength and weaknesses of premises built on those facts, and conclusion in light of the above, is poor debate.

If you want emotion, go and cry at someone until they let you win the argument.
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 18:03
    Perhaps you have a different definition of debate here, but winning a debate through anything other than presentation of facts, discourse over the strength and weaknesses of premises built on those facts, and conclusion in light of the above, is poor debate.

If you want emotion, go and cry at someone until they let you win the argument.
    I just want a passionate,logical debate... i believe this is possible...no need to cry... as i keep saying...you can be passionate about your learning and there is most certainly structured passion...
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 22:43
    i say that intelligence causes atheism out of personal experience. almost all intelligent kids in my school who are the goody-goods who make 100s and get mad when they get a 99, are atheists. they are heavy thinkers who think about these things and see no proof of God's existence. i used to be young and naive and i believed in Christianity with no question but now i am not sure.
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 23:10
    I disagree with your sweeping statement regarding which camp has the lower level.... we all have opinions...no one is lower than the other...some back it up and others use their feelings.... how wonderful debate is do you agree?
    Many theists here lack the ability to use logic in an incisive way.

Not something that the atheist community in this forum seem to have too much trouble with.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 23:13
    My own personal opinion to Atheism is that its wrong...
    Then, if your poison is a "just in case" mentality, you should worship as many Gods as possible. Why stop at the Christian God? Why not also Allah, the Shinto Gods the Maori Gods, the Aboriginal Dreamtime Gods.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 00:18
    A lack of intelligence is far more likely to lead to the acceptance of magic and angels, than it is to a common sense, natural view of the world without god.
    Non-sense. Some of the most intelligent people believe the most absurd things. Take for example atheists.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 00:20
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Then, if your poison is a "just in case" mentality, you should worship as many Gods as possible. Why stop at the Christian God? Why not also Allah, the Shinto Gods the Maori Gods, the Aboriginal Dreamtime Gods.
    Because none of those gods ever did anything for anybody! 😉
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 00:25
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Many theists here lack the ability to use logic in an incisive way.

Not something that the atheist community in this forum seem to have too much trouble with.
    What we lack in logic, we make up for in spiritual understanding.
    Like knowing what response we'll get for saying something like that. 😀
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 01:57
    Originally posted by josephw
    Because none of those gods ever did anything for anybody! 😉
    Prove it.

The Norwegians were once the greatest sea faring nation on the planet - does that make Thor's hammer worthy of worship??
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 01:58
    What we lack in logic, we make up for in spiritual understanding.
    Like knowing what response we'll get for saying something like that. 😀
    Spiritual understanding?

You mean going round and round in your own head with nonsense?

Science, at least, gave the world medicine. Religion gave us the frontal lobotomy to "let the evil spirits out", and witch burning.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 01:59
    Non-sense. Some of the most intelligent people believe the most absurd things. Take for example atheists.
    What's so absurd about atheism?

You believe that the universe was created by a magic man; sounds a whole lot dumber to me.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 09:462 edits
    Umm, do you see the contradiction in your reply, or should I just let you carry on in bizzarro world?
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 10:01
    Or perhaps that should be lack of ....
    religion and IQ are strongly negatively correlated (-.886), even more so than GDP-per-capita and IQ are strongly positively correlated (.757 w 1998 per-capita stats).

http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/001527.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree