Characteristcs of a Christian

Characteristcs of a Christian

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
27 May 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
i'll top that by saying no christian ever served in any army in a combative role.
Indeed.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
27 May 12

Originally posted by finnegan
No but I have a need to understand why someone of obvious intelligence, reflected in a striking chess grade which will take me years to match, and having completed an apparently effective and useful career in a large organisation, puts such persistent codology on this forum. I have to discount the proposition that you are just stupid - though maybe not that ...[text shortened]... at you think you are playing at but I wonder when you will notice that you are becoming a clown?
reflected in a striking chess grade which will take me years to match

All you need to know about Ron's chess abilities can be found in this thread

Thread 14536

Page 13 contains the engine analysis.

Moves
28 May 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
We are Christians, we have the example of the Christ, the Hebrews, that is not us,
were commanded to drive out the inhabitants of Canaan, as far, as i am aware, there is
no such mandate haven been given to Christians, if there is , perhaps you would like to
point it out or shall we assign this to the vault of divegesters ludicrous questions?
How do you reconciled the OT accounts of wars and how Jehovah himself (your Jehovah...) commands the Israelites to go to war again and again, often commanding that they slaughter everyone?

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
28 May 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]reflected in a striking chess grade which will take me years to match

All you need to know about Ron's chess abilities can be found in this thread

Thread 14536

Page 13 contains the engine analysis.[/b]
That links to a thread called Most Famous King Walk Of All Time and I quite enjoyed it thanks. I would like to see the correct link as a brief search of that forum did not reveal anything obvious.

I have a number of times suggested that RJHinds fails the Turing test - his contributions appear to come from a pretty weak sentence generator programme rather than a person, though once in a while he does come out with a spark of content. I infer from what little you have said that his games also fail the Turing test! My references to his Fischer like grade was intended to evoke such a response since I am not in a position to make such an allegation myself.

After considering any possible logical explanation for his posts I have to conclude that he fits the profile for a troll which is tiresome.

I would think it was time the site prevented non subscibers from posting altogether because so often, it is the non subscribing new members who turn out to be the trolls or the poisonous posters, secure in their anonymity and ability to change identity at will. There is just no sanction against unacceptable behaviour with non subs. [I am thinking especially of his Islamaphobic rants and thread titles]

I know I'm anonymous also but at least a few OTB players locally know I am finnegan and commment on my contributions when we meet, my posts are a model of sublime reason, and as a subscriber I can be ejected if I offend Russ.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
28 May 12

That links to a thread called Most Famous King Walk Of All Time and I quite enjoyed it thanks. I would like to see the correct link as a brief search of that forum did not reveal anything obvious.

I have a number of times suggested that RJHinds fails the Turing test - his contributions appear to come from a pretty weak sentence generator programme rat ...[text shortened]... my posts are a model of sublime reason, and as a subscriber I can be ejected if I offend Russ.
Ooooops. I'll try again, missed the final 3 of the thread id.

Thread 145363

Page 13 is the analysis.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 May 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
its a well known historical fact that no Christians ever served in the Imperial armies of
Rome. Its Ok, RJH can take it, hes got elephant skin and a head to match, what
Christian principle have I transgressed?
How about Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian Regiment? (Acts chapter 10)

And do you remember this story of another centurion in Luke Chapter 7?

Then Jesus went with them. And when He was already not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to Him, saying to Him, “Lord, do not trouble Yourself, for I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof. Therefore I did not even think myself worthy to come to You. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

When Jesus heard these things, He marveled at him, and turned around and said to the crowd that followed Him, “I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!” And those who were sent, returning to the house, found the servant well who had been sick.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
30 May 12

Ooooops. I'll try again, missed the final 3 of the thread id.

Thread 145363

Page 13 is the analysis.
Thanks I ended up reading quite a lot of the discussion on that thread and a few points leaped out.

I have used Fritz for some years to enter games as I study them, usually transcribing from a book, and that helps me to question what-if lines as I go along. I have never used any aid to make my moves because I fail to see the point. This site is just a training tool. The virtual people who appear on my screen are not authentic social contacts and I don't feel a need for their virtual admiration. My site grade is also very close to my OTB grade (the site grade changes more often obviously).

Based on this experience, I suggest that one reason why human moves do not match computer moves as often as, say (for lack of another obvious example) RJHinds is that computers are not especially good with some types of opening strategy, and it is common that , if I follow a text book on something like the French, then Fritz hates a lot of the recommended moves and even classes them as errors (sometimes changing its mind after a few minutes thought, but not always). Our club champ has warned me to ignore the computer when learning an opening. I have on occasion found a line using Fritz that I have used later in a game (I do post mortems on every game I play) and I have to say that while some have been very good, some have been terrible in practice. The good ones are the ones that evade a tactical trap. So in reality, it seems possible that a very good player, and one with some decent opening theory in place, would not even want to emulate Fritz for at least part of the game, and only use it to blunder check.

The other comment, at the end of page two, is that it would take five year's study to rise from 1500 to 2100. I joined this site in 2006 and have worked quite hard since then. After reaching about 1830 quite quickly, which approximates my grade 25 years ago when I last played, I have struggled to get another 100 points consistently added to my grade and just assume I will lose to players over 2k. I have suffered!

So I have to agree that if RJHinds is not using a computer to achieve his astonishing grade, then maybe his divine source of inspiration is using a divine computer. You'd think God would be brighter than that though, or have a more advanced computer.

How appropriate this is to the topic of the thread and how consistent with the dishonest style of his other arguments here. He's busted. It's up to the other Xtian fundies to decide if they still want his support.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 May 12

Thanks I ended up reading quite a lot of the discussion on that thread and a few points leaped out.

I have used Fritz for some years to enter games as I study them, usually transcribing from a book, and that helps me to question what-if lines as I go along. I have never used any aid to make my moves because I fail to see the point. This site is just a t ...[text shortened]... b]He's busted. It's up to the other Xtian fundies to decide if they still want his support.
It is a shame that you are so easily swayed to believe accusations against me.

F

Moves
31 May 12

He's busted.
He just likes the attention, good or bad. He still refers to the match-up rates findings and what they show - which he accepted - as "accusations". I am sure the thrill he gets from 'being busted' has simply replaced the thrill he used to get from 'not yet busted'. Attention seeking is the common denominator.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
31 May 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
It is a shame that you are so easily swayed to believe accusations against me.
Reluctantly persuaded by the evidence, not easily swayed.

😞

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 May 12
1 edit

Reluctantly persuaded by the evidence, not easily swayed.

😞
Reluctantly persuaded, huh? Evidence? Guess who is compiling and interpreting the evidence. Was it RHP.com? I don't think so.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
31 May 12

Reluctantly persuaded, huh? Evidence? Guess who is compiling and interpreting the evidence. Was it RHP.com? I don't think so.
You're busted old man. Let the truth set you free!!!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jun 12

You're busted old man. Let the truth set you free!!!
Over your dead body. 😀

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
01 Jun 12

Over your dead body. 😀
Ron, set yourself free. You'll feel a lot better for it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jun 12

Ron, set yourself free. You'll feel a lot better for it.
How about setting yourself free by believing and trusting in the Lord Jesus the Christ? You'll feel a lot better for it.
HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!