1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 18:21
    How much of your own money should a person donate? I mean if you keep giving to homeless people, pretty soon you wont have for yourself! what did Jesus say is the limit? is that why the Mormons have to give 10% or they will be kicked out?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 18:31
    Originally posted by @sonship
    So to give 10 dollars and get to get 10 dollars in return, may be a happiness, but not the ultimate happiness.

So to give 10 dollars and gain a profit of excess over 10, also may be a happiness, but not the deep and ultimate happiness.

Suppose you give 10 dollars and you are simply out of the 10 dollars you gave? If you did it in the name of Christ a deeper happiness can be secured knowing that you are like the Son of God.
    What do you think, generally speaking, is the best way for charitable Christians to channel that 10 dollars to those who need it?
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 19:233 edits
    Originally posted by @ogb
    OK so organized religions say it's better to give than to receive. So if some homeless person is on a streetcorner and you give him 2 dollars. then the next street there's another one, then another ..pretty soon , now you don't have any money and you're homeless !! What are the rules, as to helping other people?
    To give you an idea of what Jesus had in mind:

Matthew 19
    21Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.”

Matthew 25
    41“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink... 45“Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46“These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Luke 12
    29“And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying. 30“For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. 31“But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. 32“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom. 33“Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys. 34“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Luke 16
    13“No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.”

In general very few Christians follow the gospel that Jesus preached during His ministry. Instead most follow a self-serving gospel. For example, many (largely the "religious right" ) are staunchly opposed to government programs that help those in need of food, shelter, clothing, health care, etc. Many go so far as to subscribe to the "prosperity gospel".

By and large, Christianity has drifted very far from the gospel that Jesus preached during His ministry.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 19:40
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I can be verbose at times. Will you read my few posts in reply to this if they are more than 15 words or less ?
    YouTube
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 19:49
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    [youtube]4F4qzPbcFiA[/youtube]
    😵
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 19:51
    Ut-ho!

Phew, good job Josephw is on extended leave or I may have got called “an enemy of god” for laughing at an atheist’s joke about a Christian.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 03:56
    How much of your own money should a person donate? I mean if you keep giving to homeless people, pretty soon you wont have for yourself! what did Jesus say is the limit? is that why the Mormons have to give 10% or they will be kicked out?
    Keep your money and provide for your family. If you want to help those who have less than you, consider donating your time. There are loads of community organizations that would love to have the help this time of year, and there is always more to do and a shortage of people to do it.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 04:23
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Keep your money and provide for your family. If you want to help those who have less than you, consider donating your time. There are loads of community organizations that would love to have the help this time of year, and there is always more to do and a shortage of people to do it.
    Where do these community organizations get their money from?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 10:511 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist
    So give expecting nothing in return, because God will reward you.

Kelly! WTF
    Yes, doing right loving the next guy is better than doing something to get something out of
    this life. All actions will be rewarded by God, the good and the bad. You think doing good
    to another is the right thing to do, why? You must have a reason, if not then why wouldn't
    doing something for selfish reasons be just as 'good'?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 10:512 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Where do these community organizations get their money from?
    Did you read the question I was replying to?

"How much of your own money should a person donate? I mean if you keep giving to homeless people, pretty soon you wont have for yourself!"

If you're concerned about giving "too much money", then give your time. It's more personal and also exactly what they do not have enough of, ever.

FMF, if you want to baffle me with a circular argument, go somewhere else and stop wasting my time. Or, you know what? Try answering his question yourself instead of attacking my answer.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 10:53
    Are you looking for rules of limitations on how much is required? If you give X amount you
    are now allowed to ignore those around you in need, because you did you part already, just
    like you could say, "you gave at the office."? Give out of the goodness of your heart, seek
    God's lead, and if you cannot be cheerful about it, question yourself.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 11:051 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Are you looking for rules of limitations on how much is required? If you give X amount you
    are now allowed to ignore those around you in need, because you did you part already, just
    like you could say, "you gave at the office."? Give out of the goodness of your heart, seek
    God's lead, and if you cannot be cheerful about it, question yourself.
    Plus, people always seem to stop themselves from giving because, unless one has loads of dispensable cash, the typical person's money is mostly earmarked for a use as soon as it comes in.

One's time is often valuable in other ways, and is a much more personal investment. And it's doing something, not just throwing money at a problem to feel like it's gone away. From a young age, I understood the concept: If you can't give money, then give of yourself. Get involved.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 11:091 edit
    Did you read the question I was replying to?

[b]"How much of your own money should a person donate? I mean if you keep giving to homeless people, pretty soon you wont have for yourself!"

If you're concerned about giving "too much money", then give your time. It's more personal and also exactly what they do not have enough of, ever.

FMF, if ...[text shortened]... y time. Or, you know what? Try answering his question yourself instead of attacking my answer.[/b]
    Yes, I read what you were replying to and I understood what you said. If your advice, as a Christian, is "Keep your money and provide for your family" (as opposed to keep some of your money and give some of it away) and donate your time (work) for community organizations instead, and if everyone were to act upon this advice, where would charitable community organizations draw their funds from?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 11:121 edit
    FMF, if you want to baffle me with a circular argument, go somewhere else and stop wasting my time. Or, you know what? Try answering his question yourself instead of attacking my answer.
    My question was: Where do these community organizations get their money from?

My answer to my own question is they get it ~ in part ~ from charitable donations from people like you, me and ogb. I would never say to someone asking about how much of their money to donate for charitable purposes "Keep your money and provide for your family." I would never give that advice. I'd say give what you think you can afford.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 11:15
    How much of your own money should a person donate?
    You should give what you think you can afford.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree