1. Germany
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 15:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

I must point out that Islam justifies war where the Christian in his or her Holy writings has no real justification.
    You must have a heavily censored version of the Bible.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 16:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have to respectfully disagree, Islam has blasphemy laws which are capital offences. The very nature of Islam and its insistence on learning the Koran in Arabic has resulted in generations of children being able to read the words with little understanding. What this means is that religious leaders are very powerful and can incite the uneducated to ...[text shortened]... abandoned Christs teachings and sought justification from some other source, usually political.
    Does Islam have blasphemy laws or do some nation states where the established religion is Islam have such laws? I think there's a failure to distinguish the two things. A few hundred years ago the Church was busily burning people at the stake. For most Arabs reading the Koran in Arabic is like reading the Bible in English is for us. People have claimed that Christianity justifies Imperialism, I'm not claiming that the claims are particularly well justified on the basis of the New Testament, but they've still made the claim.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 17:091 edit
    I know little of Muslim countries. I do know that the perception in the west is roughly:

A 'moderate' Muslim wishes they could kill you for blasphemy. A 'fanatical' Muslim will actually do it.

So please, someone who has more experience with predominantly Muslim cultures, tell us we're wrong on this one.

(Edit: please don't take this post as singling out Islam. I have seen far too many Western Christians romanticize about what they could do to blasphemers if only we had a culture more like a middle eastern one.)
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 18:482 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 18:59

6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 20:40
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm not really sure I've heard any Christians say either of these two things at all. At least not in my church.

Again, this is the error many who do not embrace religion make. Just because one evil man makes statements of hate towards his fellow man, doesn't mean that suddenly, all who embrace that man's religion are as guilty. No religion on Earth has a corner on evil. There are many evil men on this planet, and there are many good men as well. To stereotype one evil man's religion as evil probably comes as news to the good man who follows that religion also.

It's not the church which is evil, it is man alone. Some belong to that church, some do not. That doesn't make the church the instrument of evil.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 20:462 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you really this naive?

Edit : By hub I'm referring to the geographical political Islamic nucleus of Saudi Arabia.
    Then that makes more sense, I guess. I thought you were referring to a religious "center" of thought.

I don't know where, exactly, Saudi Arabia falls on the "philosophical Islamist thought" meter. I do understand that, just like in any religion, the "moderates" usually hold the mainline thought center, or "hub", and the extremists reside on the fringe.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 21:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You must have a heavily censored version of the Bible.
    No but I do understand the teachings of Jesus Christ.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 21:21
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yes nominal Muslims. I have met not a few who have become Jehovahs Witnesses, they are much more likely to than say a Pakistani Muslim.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 21:26
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Does Islam have blasphemy laws or do some nation states where the established religion is Islam have such laws? I think there's a failure to distinguish the two things. A few hundred years ago the Church was busily burning people at the stake. For most Arabs reading the Koran in Arabic is like reading the Bible in English is for us. People have claim ...[text shortened]... particularly well justified on the basis of the New Testament, but they've still made the claim.
    Muslims take their faith from essentially two works, the Koran and the hadiths (sayings of their prophet). The former does not specify a punishment but the latter does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_blasphemy
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 22:09
    Pope Francis On Charlie Hebdo: 'You Cannot Insult The Faith Of Others.'

Oh the irony, coming from him of all people--the Infallible One. If people had not offended Christianity a few hundred years ago, we would still believe the earth to be an immobile pancake at the center of the universe. Hurrah for Galileo and all the other heretics who dared to speak out and offend the dogma of the day!

No one has a right not to be offended.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 22:123 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I don't know where, exactly, Saudi Arabia falls on the "philosophical Islamist thought" meter. I do understand that, just like in any religion, the "moderates" usually hold the mainline thought center, or "hub", and the extremists reside on the fringe.
    The Saud family rules with sanction of their Wahhabist/Salafist spiritual masters. Wahhabism is towards the Taliban-end of the spectrum of Islam.

EDIT: http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Wahhabism
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 23:10

14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jan '15 03:44
    I'm not really sure I've heard any Christians say either of these two things at all. At least not in my church.

Again, this is the error many who do not embrace religion make. Just because one evil man makes statements of hate towards his fellow man, doesn't mean that suddenly, all who embrace that man's religion are as guilty. No religion on Earth ha ...[text shortened]... Some belong to that church, some do not. That doesn't make the church the instrument of evil.
    Right. Please count me as a non-homophobic Western Christian fundamentalists. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '15 04:17
    I haven't met many Christians who would advocate capital punishment for homosexuality, and none in 'real life', as it were. Eladar ~ on the Debates Forum ~ once famously declared that he would not object to a government executing homosexuals.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree