1. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    11 Aug '09 22:48
    Have any of you read this book and willing to review it with me?

For anyone who dosen't know about it it's an account of the beguning of the St Stephens Society in Hong Kong which you can read about here; http://www.ststephenssociety.com/flash/index.html
  2. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 07:47
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Have any of you read this book and willing to review it with me?

For anyone who dosen't know about it it's an account of the beguning of the St Stephens Society in Hong Kong which you can read about here; http://www.ststephenssociety.com/flash/index.html
    No, but I'm fascinated that they chose to name the book after the practice of inhaling opium. 😕
  3. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 07:571 edit
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    No, but I'm fascinated that they chose to name the book after the practice of inhaling opium. 😕
    ?? That's what it's about! Well about being freed from the adiction.
  4. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:02
    ?? That's what it's about! Well about being freed from the adiction.
    Well, shouldn't they call it: chasing away the dragon, then? 😛
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:09
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    Well, shouldn't they call it: chasing away the dragon, then? 😛
    Haha! I guess.
    Any chance you're interested in reading it? It's an interesting read and it seams none has read it for me to chat about it with. If you're looking for a book? It's the true story of how one woman's faith resulted in the conversion of hundreds of drug addicts, prostitues and hardened criminals in Hong Kong's infamous Walled City. It was written almost 30years ago so there's loads of second hand coppies avaliable.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:14
    Haha! I guess.
    Any chance you're interested in reading it? It's an interesting read and it seams none has read it for me to chat about it with. If you're looking for a book? It's the true story of how one woman's faith resulted in the conversion of hundreds of drug addicts, prostitues and hardened criminals in Hong Kong's infamous Walled City. It was written almost 30years ago so there's loads of second hand coppies avaliable.
    Any chance you could just offer up a few lines from this book? I find it hard to discuss a whole book most of the time. I prefer to take it point by point.
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:24
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Any chance you could just offer up a few lines from this book? I find it hard to discuss a whole book most of the time. I prefer to take it point by point.
    Well not really. The book is about amaizing things happening that feel allien to me and I wondered if anyone else reading it felt that. I've checked out what's said and it's true. Have you read it?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:35
    Well not really. The book is about amaizing things happening that feel allien to me and I wondered if anyone else reading it felt that. I've checked out what's said and it's true. Have you read it?
    No I haven't. How about a synopsis?
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:521 edit
    No I haven't. How about a synopsis?
    Okay, please excuse the spelling. A young woman catches a boat and get's off in China, she goes to the slum in Hong Kong where niether the Chinese dynisty or colonial keep the law, so it's a dangerous place. She gives as Jesus did, with all she has; her time, patience, love, money. She prays for the people and slowly things beguin to change. When she trusts in the Lord big changes happen, hardened criminals change their ways. After the people she's helping have made that change they start growing up becasue their childhooh went to working making plastics or to addiction and she homes as many as she can and helsp them reach adulthood.

She's been there for 40 years now. I watched her preach last year when she visited England. She seamed angry that the church were sitting on their loins and watching the rest of the world rot. I agree with her totally but I don't want to leave my comfturble home. She really put God's instruction into action and lived day by day by faith sometimes with no knowing where her next meal will come from and giving litterly everything. The book is her and someone elses account of how addicts can be freed from thier addiction and how amaizing God is and what can happen when someone lives as He tells them to. It's inspiring but also kind of alien in todays world- or I should say in my world of tv and soaps, things and want.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 09:15
    Okay, please excuse the spelling. A young woman catches a boat and get's off in China, she goes to the slum in Hong Kong where niether the Chinese dynisty or colonial keep the law, so it's a dangerous place. She gives all she has, her time her patience, love, money. She prays for the people and slowly she sees results. She's been there for 40 years now. I ...[text shortened]... nd of alien in todays world- or I should say in my world of tv and soaps, things and want.
    Was she a christian?
    (please excuse my ignorance for not having read the book, but like I said , perhaps we can discuss the points better this way if we break it down)
    She sounds like she had quite a lot of resolve. Was this a true story?
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 09:19
    Was she a christian?
    (please excuse my ignorance for not having read the book, but like I said , perhaps we can discuss the points better this way if we break it down)
    She sounds like she had quite a lot of resolve. Was this a true story?
    Yes and it's completly true. The link I gave is of the work going on this day.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 09:291 edit
    Yes and it's completly true. The link I gave is of the work going on this day.
    Sorry that link appears to be broken at this time. i will try later.
    She seems like a fine Christian example. As long as you know her way is not the only way. And that God is not a 'He', its an 'IT'.
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 09:32
    Sorry that link appears to be broken at this time. i will try later.
    She seems like a fine Christian example. As long as you know her way is not the only way. And that God is not a 'He', its an 'IT'.
    You don't understand good intension didn't keep her safe or free adicts from opeum.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 09:58
    You don't understand good intension didn't keep her safe or free adicts from opeum.
    Huh? Are you saying her good intentions kept her away from opium?

Sounds like you have quite an interesting story there.
    Anyone that can keep away from the lure of opium must ba a strong-willed person. But then again, her intentions in China were to go there and spread the christian word, was it not?

(I heard even the death penalty was not enough to stop the Chinese from taking opium. Makes you wonder whether it is worth kiling your own citizens for the sake of stopping 'self-harm'😉.
  15. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 10:11
    Huh? Are you saying her good intentions kept her away from opium?

Sounds like you have quite an interesting story there.
    Anyone that can keep away from the lure of opium must ba a strong-willed person. But then again, her intentions in China were to go there and spread the christian word, was it not?

(I heard even the death penalty was not eno ...[text shortened]... you wonder whether it is worth kiling your own citizens for the sake of stopping 'self-harm'😉.
    Can I quote the bible here to explain what I think. I haven't read much of hte bible and I find it hard to read, but having had this passage explained and it is quoted in hte book, I htink it is relevent.

"The huge dragon was hurled down. That ancient serpent, called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world, was hurled down to the earth, along with its angels." Revelation 12:9

I think it's imposiable to get free from Opium and stay free from it, or indeed to stay safe in what sounds to me like the most dangerous place on Earth without God's help.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree