1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 10:17
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Can I quote the bible here to explain what I think. I haven't read much of hte bible and I find it hard to read, but having had this passage explained and it is quoted in hte book, I htink it is relevent.

"The huge dragon was hurled down. That ancient serpent, called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world, was hurled down to the earth, alo ...[text shortened]... o stay safe in what sounds to me like the most dangerous place on Earth without God's help.
    I disagree.
    But I think I see where you are coming from.

There is a whole system of psycology that is applicable for opium addicts, but that would be a whole other thread, unless you want to discuss it furthur...
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 10:19
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I disagree.
    But I think I see where you are coming from.

There is a whole system of psycology that is applicable for opium addicts, but that would be a whole other thread, unless you want to discuss it furthur...
    yes, give me what you've got on the subject. Please
  3. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 10:353 edits
    I'm going to watch this; The two faces of Opium
    http://www.rockhopper.tv/programmes/138/

>It seams to be mostly about leagalising opium so that people don't have to suffer the pain of desease.

YouTube
    I guess for something so mad there has to be a strong power to free an addict.

Momma was an opium smoker
    She light it with a red-hot poker
    She would never take a bath
    We would ask her, she'd just laugh
    because our momma was an opium smoker

She made it with this gentleman, Lincoln
    They met on a boat, it was sinkin'
    When she shoulda gone overboard, mom say "No way, oh my Lord
    only of opium smoking am I thinkin'."

Oh, help us, Lord
    we can't afford
    her destructive ways
    You oughta' hear what she says!

She would just sit on her fat ass
    yell at us, "Fill up my wine glass!"
    She would tell us, "How sad,
    you won't never know your dad."
    Oh yeah, my momma was an opium smoker

Go, mommy, go
    Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh

She had the money and the drugs in the mattress
    I wonder how long she's been at this
    And I say, "Mom, bang the gong,
    can't you see it's gone all wrong?"
    My momma was an opium smoker
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:02
    yes, give me what you've got on the subject. Please
    Frst of all the best person to help another opium addict is an ex-addict. They have been there and done that and are more likely to gain the confidence of the addict, and hence help them through their withdrawal.
    The thing to remember here is that an opium( or opiate) addict is usually putting all their eggs in one basket. To successfully overcome an opiate adiction and not take on other addictions is truly an amazing human feat.
    In my experience many opiate addicts forgoe all other addictions for the sake of their daily hit. they can actually become quite decent human beings, ie. if they dont rip off other people,etc.
    Now if the addict realizes the nature of human psycology (as espoused by Bhuddism,for example) , they can grasp the inner meaning of 'suffering' and the way to alleviate it. This entails understanding what the term 'drug' means and how it relates to the daily life of all people.
    In this sense the path to spiritual enlightenment is much the same as withdrawal from opiates. what I mean is that they endure the same pains.
    Only the individual can know if they are still addicted (to one drug or another) or are truly on the path to recovery.
    Be warned though, this template is not an easy one to follow in real life. In practice I would recommend taking up the habit of smoking cigarrettes in deference to all other drugs.
    (remember that coffee,tv,and even people are drugs and that this is primarily a psycological and not a physical issue)
    Does this clarify the matter for you? Or am I on the wrong track here?
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:12
    Frst of all the best person to help another opium addict is an ex-addict. They have been there and done that and are more likely to gain the confidence of the addict, and hence help them through their withdrawal.
    The thing to remember here is that an opium( or opiate) addict is usually putting all their eggs in one basket. To successfully overcome an o ...[text shortened]... ot a physical issue)
    Does this clarify the matter for you? Or am I on the wrong track here?
    Mind over matter?

I agree that anyone can be addicted to anything, but opium has a hold like no other. The ex addicts in the book are in and out of prison. They fully intend to leave opium behind but find themselves in the den saying "My heart had not decided where to go, but my feet walked themselves".
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:24
    Mind over matter?

I agree that anyone can be addicted to anything, but opium has a hold like no other. The ex addicts in the book are in and out of prison. They fully intend to leave opium behind but find themselves in the den saying "My heart had not decided where to go, but my feet walked themselves".
    'Life' has a hold like no other. Comparable to opium. Are you an addict?
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:32
    In this sense the path to spiritual enlightenment is much the same as withdrawal from opiates. what I mean is that they endure the same pains.
    I don't fully understand what you mean here.
    From http://www.drug-withdrawal.com/opium.htm
    Many individuals who suffer from an addiction to opium will eventually gets symptoms of withdrawal after years of using opium.

Opium Withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:

nausea
    sweating
    cramps
    vomiting
    diarrhea
    loss of appetite
    muscle spasms
    depression
    anxiety
    mood swings
    insomnia

Rather physical things mostly.
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:33
    'Life' has a hold like no other. Comparable to opium. Are you an addict?
    Ha! What can I say to that, you've got me there. I am addicted to my life. I could not live without it indeed!
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 13:07
    I don't fully understand what you mean here.
    From http://www.drug-withdrawal.com/opium.htm
    Many individuals who suffer from an addiction to opium will eventually gets symptoms of withdrawal after years of using opium.

Opium Withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:

nausea
    sweating
    cramps
    vomiting
    diarrhea
    loss of appetite
    muscle spasms
    depression
    anxiety
    mood swings
    insomnia

Rather physical things mostly.
    I mean the physical sensations of withdrawing from life can be similar to that of withdrawing from opiates.
    Tiredness,irritabilaty, 'craziness',etc.
    The body and ego have all manner of complaining that they want just a bit more.
    Hey , I'm no saint . But I have lived, and am living the philosophy.
    I'm glad you seem to have gotten the general gist of my point.
    I wouldn't mention it if it wasn't from personal experience.
    Peace bro

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree