1. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 22:25
    Originally posted by menace71
    Believe it or not I agree. What is most important is that people come to know Christ. That they truly understand the Gospel. This does set people free truly. Christ will come to live in us as you so eloquently have shown in some of your other post. How God wants to dwell in His people. Now to me that is profound. It's so much more than being saved from our ...[text shortened]... ny is I bet I would enjoy hanging out with either guy playing chess or what have you.

Manny
    thankyou Manfred, you see we are also humans, flesh and blood, and we bleed! your comments are very kind and despite the 'hot talk', we really do wish well upon everyone. Galveston is way more tolerant and patient than his short fused obnoxious brother, and as Duecer stated, iron, sharpens iron!
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    28 Aug '09 00:45
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Not "whites" but white, unless you have a chess set with red pieces.
    I have a chess set that is the red sox and yankees. Red sox are white😏
  3. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 15:24
    Originally posted by duecer
    I have a chess set that is the red sox and yankees. Red sox are white😏
    http://www.thechessstore.com/product/SCRDB275DP/Staunton_Classic_Chess_Set_Package_in_High_Gloss_Red_Black__2_34_King.html
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 12:42
    Originally posted by daniel58
    http://www.thechessstore.com/product/SCRDB275DP/Staunton_Classic_Chess_Set_Package_in_High_Gloss_Red_Black__2_34_King.html
    that's a sweet set, do you own one?
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 21:13
    Interesting how neither of our JW posters have actually commented on the content of the article. Admittedly Robbie did have a point about the title of the thread, which has been addressed, but what about the Watchtowers claim that chess is something to be wary of due to it's war connotations?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 21:453 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Interesting how neither of our JW posters have actually commented on the content of the article. Admittedly Robbie did have a point about the title of the thread, which has been addressed, but what about the Watchtowers claim that chess is something to be wary of due to it's war connotations?
    if you have read the article Noobster, does it not say that it is up to the individual to answer these questions for himself? thus it is not stating that one should do this or do that, or this is evil and that is not, but that there are questions regarding it, that one could ask oneself. How much influence does it have in ones life, for example. how much time is it wise to expend on it. is it wise or even proper for a Christian to engage in something which has obvious connotations to war. how does it influence one psychologically, etc etc etc.

i think that these are very thought provoking questions, which, despite the misrepresentation and slanderous remarks by the dark lord Deucer are simply intended to make the chess player think. it doesn't to my knowledge state that one should do this or do that in an authoritarian manner, but in a true Christian manner, leaves it up to the conscience of the individual.

if you are unhappy with it, find it objectionable, write to the publishers, they will right back to you, here is the address,

The Ridgeway, London NW7 1RN
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 21:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if you have read the article Noobster, does it not say that it is up to the individual to answer these questions for himself? thus it is not stating that one should do this or do that, or this is evil and that is not, but that there are questions regarding it, that one could ask oneself. How much influence does it have in ones life, for example. h ...[text shortened]... publishers, they will right back to you, here is the address,

The Ridgeway, London NW7 1RN
    Thanks for the address but that won't be necessary.

All you've done is written back to me the questions in the article, and i have already read the article. I am wondering what YOUR opinion is.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 22:16
    Thanks for the address but that won't be necessary.

All you've done is written back to me the questions in the article, and i have already read the article. I am wondering what YOUR opinion is.
    my goodness, no ones ever asked me that!

my own personal opinion, gulp, mmmmm i do think that we do need to be cautious, especially of the time we spend. man i could play chess forever, really Noobster, i really love playing chess, which may appear rather enigmatic considering i am so rubbish. one must remember that different things affect people in different ways, if one finds that one is becoming aggressive because of it, then that is not good. you must of course remember my friend it was written in 72? and perhaps reflects the times. there have been little articles since, mainly reporting cheating incidents, but that s it.

one must also remember Noobster that we are christians, and we are counselled not to learn war, please consider this as well, for it may seem strange without understanding this. here is the famous scripture which decorates a wall outside of the united nations building,

(Isaiah 2:4) . . .And he will certainly render judgment among the nations and set matters straight respecting many peoples. And they will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.

all in all it was well researched, posed thought provoking questions and left the reader to decide.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 10:07
    my goodness, no ones ever asked me that!

my own personal opinion, gulp, mmmmm i do think that we do need to be cautious, especially of the time we spend. man i could play chess forever, really Noobster, i really love playing chess, which may appear rather enigmatic considering i am so rubbish. one must remember that different things affect peo ...[text shortened]... in all it was well researched, posed thought provoking questions and left the reader to decide.
    Thinking for yourself is the first step to salvation.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 10:15
    Thinking for yourself is the first step to salvation.
    aha! please, if you may, can i ask your opinion of this little verse my friend?

(Jeremiah 10:23) . . .I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 10:18
    aha! please, if you may, can i ask your opinion of this little verse my friend?

(Jeremiah 10:23) . . .I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.
    My path is controlled by God, not by me.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 10:291 edit
    My path is controlled by God, not by me.
    yes, however it may have more far reaching implications when we consider the path of humanity as a whole. only yesterday i was reading on the bbc website that there are plans for an engineered approach to the climate problems we are facing. while i was filled with optimism and hope, it seems to me that there are colossal problems facing not only our generation Noobster, but our sons and our daughters, and that while we may brave the winters wind, they may face the tigers breath! what is at the route of our problems? is there not enough food on the earth? enough water? enough medicine?
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 10:36
    yes, however it may have more far reaching implications when we consider the path of humanity as a whole. only yesterday i was reading on the bbc website that there are plans for an engineered approach to the climate problems we are facing. while i was filled with optimism and hope, it seems to me that there are colossal problems facing not only ou ...[text shortened]... e route of our problems? is there not enough food on the earth? enough water? enough medicine?
    Greed is the root of our problem, simple as that. A nice American Indian proverb sums it up -

'Only when the last tree has been cut down; Only when the last river has been poisoned; Only when the last fish has been caught; Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten'

So if our lives are controlled by God, i have two questions.

1) Did i decide not to have blackberries on my porridge this morning or was it Gods decision?

2) Why did God let Philip Garrido and his wife kidnap Jaycee Lee Durgan?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 10:581 edit
    Greed is the root of our problem, simple as that. A nice American Indian proverb sums it up -

'Only when the last tree has been cut down; Only when the last river has been poisoned; Only when the last fish has been caught; Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten'

So if our lives are controlled by God, i have two questions.

1) ...[text shortened]... it Gods decision?

2) Why did God let Philip Garrido and his wife kidnap Jaycee Lee Durgan?
    its a wonderful proverb Noobster! i have watched on youtube many little videos of the native Americans, and have always been impressed by their regard of the environment. One man stated that when one chops a tree down, one destroys not only the tree, but an entire little community as well!

no but the mere fact that you had porridge is clearly a sign from God that you are progressing towards holiness, for it is self evident that the Scots are now Gods chosen people and we are famous for eating porridge. Are blackberries what we call brambles? you should take your porridge with salt, otherwise you shall regress back towards your Angles and Saxons side and towards Englishness and less holiness!

I have been following the events , like you, meticulously, for it is an extraordinary case. everyone has free will, you, I, Philip Gorrido, (well he did have but because of his perverse and evil actions, this has been taken from him) . who is not sickened by the events? it is a parents worst nightmare! but the fact remains, we are all free moral agents, I suspect his actions are the result of some psychotic tendency, and the question of why God permits suffering is a widely debated and vast subject.
  15. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '09 11:42
    its a wonderful proverb Noobster! i have watched on youtube many little videos of the native Americans, and have always been impressed by their regard of the environment. One man stated that when one chops a tree down, one destroys not only the tree, but an entire little community as well!

no but the mere fact that you had porridge is clearly ...[text shortened]... ic tendency, and the question of why God permits suffering is a widely debated and vast subject.
    Do you REALLY think that there is an omnipotent being that is presiding over all the wars, famines, genocides, corruption, paedophile priests, drug cartels etc., and idly watching while all the innocents suffer? If there is, he's not someone I would want to pay homage to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree