1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 02:361 edit
    Please read:
    http://alterboys.tripod.com/Faith/Studies_on_Prx.html

"The problem is not just with the fraction of priests who molests youngsters, but in an ecclesiastical power structure which harbours pedophiles, conceals other sexual behaviour patterns among its clerics and uses the strategies of duplicity and counterattack against the victims."

" The evidence is that a higher percentage of Catholic priests and male Religious molest children more than other ministers of religion. Clergy of all denominations do not molest equally. In her foreword, the lawyer, Sylvia Demerest cites a 1995 survey of 19,000 treating professionals, funded by the National Centre on Child Abuse and Neglect. The study found that in the US, 94% of abuses by religious authorities were sexual in nature. Over half of these cases (54% ) involved perpetrators and victims who were Catholic, even though Roman Catholics comprise only 25% of the United States population."
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 02:57
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Please read:

"The problem is not just with the fraction of priests who molests youngsters, but in an ecclesiastical power structure which harbours pedophiles, conceals other sexual behaviour patterns among its clerics and uses the strategies of duplicity and counterattack against the victims." ...[text shortened]... re Catholic, even though Roman Catholics comprise only 25% of the United States population."
    Do you have a recipe for recovery for this systemic problem? What concrete steps need to be taken?

A little story that may have some relevance to this. I remember when I was a teenager my dad dragged me to church for a father-son breakfast. I remember expecting some pious platitudes. I was quite shocked when this middle-aged man started talking about masturbation and how it had racked him with guilt as a young man. I was quite moved by his honesty and left feeling like an enormous burden had been lifted. It was not a discussion of Jesus that had lifted my burden ( as many hymns profess) but rather an honest man's story told without fear of retribution.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 02:58
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Do you have a recipe for recovery for this systemic problem? What concrete steps need to be taken?

A little story that may have some relevance to this. I remember when I was a teenager my dad dragged me to church for a father-son breakfast. I remember expecting some pious platitudes. I was quite shocked when this middle-aged man started talking ab ...[text shortened]... den ( as many hymns profess) but rather an honest man's story told without fear of retribution.
    Did you receive any other tips from this fair stranger?
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 03:08
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Did you receive any other tips from this fair stranger?
    There were no "tips." The genius of this man was his courage in sharing his story as opposed to telling people what to do or not do. I remember very little of what he said, but I left a sense of relief.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 03:11
    To stop the machine, one needs only to stop oiling it.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 03:24
    To stop the machine, one needs only to stop oiling it.
    To follow your analogy, without oil, there would be an increase in friction, tension, and heat. I don't see a whole lot of that so I guess it is still well lubricated.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 03:44
    There were no "tips." The genius of this man was his courage in sharing his story as opposed to telling people what to do or not do. I remember very little of what he said, but I left a sense of relief.
    to be fair Kirksey, as a teenager if I had to listen to some guy talking about giving himself a ham-shank whilst my father was in the same room I'd definately feel better about getting out of there.
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 03:47
    Please read:
    Over half of these cases (54% ) involved perpetrators and victims who were Catholic, even though Roman Catholics comprise only 25% of the United States population."
    Fellas, fellas, fellas...how many times does Hammy have to lay the smackdown on you before you realize Catholic priest molestations are statistically insignificant?
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 03:55
    Originally posted by David C
    Fellas, fellas, fellas...how many times does Hammy have to lay the smackdown on you before you realize Catholic priest molestations are statistically insignificant?
    How do you mean? Do you deny that the proportion of child molesting priests is significantly higher than the proportion of molesters in the general population of men?

I believe that even LH already conceded this point.
  10. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 04:25
    How do you mean? Do you deny that the proportion of child molesting priests is significantly higher than the proportion of molesters in the general population of men?

I believe that even LH already conceded this point.
    Didn't I already try that? You sat on my chest while he bitch-slapped me like I was a BackBay altarboy, and he was the Archbishop of Boston.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 04:26
    Didn't I already try that? You sat on my chest while he bitch-slapped me like I was a BackBay altarboy, and he was the Archbishop of Boston.
    The ends justify the means. At least you see the truth now.
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 04:32
    The ends justify the means. At least you see the truth now.
    Oh, I've seen the light, hallelujah. Let's see what the Hamster has to say once he gets here.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 04:34
    Oh, I've seen the light, hallelujah. Let's see what the Hamster has to say once he gets here.
    He will likely reneg on his concession, as he did in the Galileo debate with no1marauder.
  14. London
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 08:16
    " The evidence is that a higher percentage of Catholic priests and male Religious molest children more than other ministers of religion. Clergy of all denominations do not molest equally. In her foreword, the lawyer, Sylvia Demerest cites a 1995 survey of 19,000 treating professionals, funded by the National Centre on Child Abuse and Neglect. The stu ...[text shortened]... were Catholic, even though Roman Catholics comprise only 25% of the United States population."
    What is the proportion of Catholic clerics to religious authorities from other religions?
  15. London
    Moves
    28 Feb '06 08:17
    He will likely reneg on his concession, as he did in the Galileo debate with no1marauder.
    Making things up, Doctor?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree