1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 06:211 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    what do you think JC "saves" us from? (anyone?)
    Jesus said it best (He does that a lot) the coming judgment of God on our lives is
    what we are being saved from.
    Kelly

John 3:
    17 For God sent not the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him.

18 He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, and cometh not to the light, lest his works should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth the truth cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.
  2. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 06:544 edits
    * misunderstanding * post deleted. Oops!
  3. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 07:12
    Thread Subject
    [bChrist is the only saviour[/b]

Originally posted by FMF
    "Saviour" from what?
    I thought Kelly Jay was responding to FMF above, since FMF was asking what Christ saves from.

But Kelly was responding to Karoly Aczel.

Anyway, though I was a little confused as to who Kelly was responding to at the time, I find myself curious. (pours medicine into tablespoon)

FMF, why are you asking a question that you--as a former Christian--clearly already know the answer to?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 07:13
    Originally posted by sumydid
    FMF, why are you asking a question that you--as a former Christian--clearly already know the answer to?
    I was seeking karoly aczel's answer - and he's not a Christian.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 07:403 edits
    Better answer than I expected, but ....

"I think Christ Jesus saves us from the death of the soul and the fate of being without a body."
    Do you think many Christians would agree with this? You must admit it raises way more questions than it answers - which is not always a bad thing - but "death of the soul"?

(Can I just start with that for now?) the Pearly Gates and "God" sends them away? Something like that? (Or something else?)
    That was Dasa that said the soul is immortal. But it is wriiten in the Holly Bible:

Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
    (Matthew 10:28 NASB)

The second death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_death
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 07:55
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Jesus said it best (He does that a lot) the coming judgment of God on our lives is
    Kelly

John 3:
    17 For God sent not the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him.

18 He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not b ...[text shortened]... th cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.
    The New American Standard Bible eliminates that Old English and uses Modern American English.

For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

(John 3:20-21 NASB)
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 20:03
    Kelly

John 3:

18 He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not b ...[text shortened]... th cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.
    We are being saved from the "coming Judgment of God"??

Far out.

Is that coming when we die or coming as in armagedon/end- of- humanity- in- a- few- years-type thing?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 20:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That was Dasa that said the soul is immortal. But it is wriiten in the Holly Bible:

[b]Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

(Matthew 10:28 NASB)

The second death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_death[/b]
    Yeah, I've come across this one here and elsewhere.

Since I don't believe in hell, it makes it even harder to believe that "God" would destroy your soul, as well.

Are you telling me that you don't believe in hell? Or that "God" destroys 'souls'? I'm confused with your stance on this.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 20:11
    Kelly

John 3:

For the record, there is no concensus as to whether these were statements made by Jesus or comments made by the writer of John. In the original Greek there isn't any punctuation to indicate that those statements were intended to be taken as having been spoken by Jesus.

For various reasons, I strongly tend to think of it as comments made by the writer of John.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 20:12
    We are being saved from the "coming Judgment of God"??

Far out.

Is that coming when we die or coming as in armagedon/end- of- humanity- in- a- few- years-type thing?
    See my response to KJ above.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 21:07
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    For the record, there is no concensus as to whether these were statements made by Jesus or comments made by the writer of John. In the original Greek there isn't any punctuation to indicate that those statements were intended to be taken as having been spoken by Jesus.

For various reasons, I strongly tend to think of it as comments made by the writer of John.
    Yea not suprising.
    Kelly
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 21:154 edits
    Yea not suprising.
    Kelly
    Seemed like you should know, lest you continue to confidently continue to attribute those words to Jesus when it is actually unknown. No sense in your continuing to mislead others.

EDIT: Perhaps you'll find the following enlightening:
    Dear Dr. Bock,
    can you explain why various translations of the Bible differ on whether John 3:16 is a direct quote of Jesus or a comment of the narrator of the Gospel?

The answer is that there is a judgment about where Jesus words stop in John 3 as he is dialoging with Nicodemus. (Sometimes editors determine the red in red letter Bibles to say where Jesus is speaking, rather than the speaker being clearly named in the text.) Some go as far with Jesus speaking as 3:21. However the phrasing in v 16-- "one and only Son" [also in v 18] -- is more Johannine than the language of Jesus (see John 1:14, 18). Jesu speaks of himself as simply the Son in John (e.g, John 5:19) or as Son of Man (vv 13-14). The light-darkness contrast later in the unit also fits in this category. So it is likely John 3:16-21 are the comments of John on the significance of what Jesus said to Nicodemus.

from http://blogs.bible.org/node/487
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 21:58
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Seemed like you should know, lest you continue to confidently continue to attribute those words to Jesus when it is actually unknown. No sense in your continuing to mislead others.
    Yea, I do believe John was relating Jesus' words as said. I've also no doubt that
    you doubt or reject scripture least you be held accountable to it as written.
    Kelly
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 22:023 edits
    Yea, I do believe John was relating Jesus' words as said. I've also no doubt that
    Kelly
    Read the edit I just added to my previous post.

I've also no doubt that

On what do you base your assertion?

Do you see Dr. Bock as being similarly motivated?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 23:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The New American Standard Bible eliminates that Old English and uses Modern American English.

[b]For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

(John 3:20-21 NASB)[/b]
    "The Bible" for Dummies?

Great. Just what we all need. 😞

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree