1. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 15:45
    The most significant way to remember Christ is stated in Matt 25. I say its the most significant becuase its the one way which determines whether you get salvation or not. People remember Christ in many ways, - by thinking, by praying, by communion and by reading the Bible. Not many remember Christ in the way He asked us and in the way that leads to salvation, which is by feeding him when he is hungry, giving him water to drink when he is thirsty, visiting him in prison, clothing him when he is naked.

Are you in a religious group that emphasises the less important ways of remembering Christ and ignores the important ways?

Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
  2. England
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 15:53
    its a personal thing your chosen church only teaches it up to the indiviual to do what is right, no one church will enter his grace.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 16:17
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The most significant way to remember Christ is stated in Matt 25. I say its the most significant becuase its the one way which determines whether you get salvation or not. People remember Christ in many ways, - by thinking, by praying, by communion and by reading the Bible. Not many remember Christ in the way He asked us and in the way that leads to salvatio ...[text shortened]... d these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. [/quote]
    So how does one feed him, gives him drink or clothes him?
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 16:51
    The most significant way to remember Christ is stated in Matt 25. I say its the most significant becuase its the one way which determines whether you get salvation or not. People remember Christ in many ways, - by thinking, by praying, by communion and by reading the Bible. Not many remember Christ in the way He asked us and in the way that leads to salvatio ...[text shortened]... d these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. [/quote]
    For my money, this is the essence of what Jesus was teaching.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 16:57
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Feed and clothe the poor. It will be as though you had done it for Jesus himself.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 17:072 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Feed and clothe the poor. It will be as though you had done it for Jesus himself.
    (John 12:3-8) . . .Mary, therefore, took a pound of perfumed oil, genuine nard, very costly, and she greased the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet dry with her hair. The house became filled with the scent of the perfumed oil.  But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples, who was about to betray him, said:  “Why was it this perfumed oil was not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor people?”  He said this, though, not because he was concerned about the poor, but because he was a thief and had the money box and used to carry off the monies put in it.  Therefore Jesus said: “Let her alone, that she may keep this observance in view of the day of my burial.  For you have the poor always with you, but me you will not have always.”

Christ was known as a teacher, not a miracle worker, nor a social worker, nor a charity worker, but as a teacher of Gods word.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 17:54
    Originally posted by galveston75
    You obviously did not read the Matt 25 passage quoted.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 18:05
    Originally posted by stoker
    its a personal thing your chosen church only teaches it up to the indiviual to do what is right, no one church will enter his grace.
    There are some churhes that preach that the works referred to by Christ in Matt 25 are just 'filthy rags'. So the churches themselves have become teachers of doctrines which lead the innocent people astray.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 18:06
    You obviously did not read the Matt 25 passage quoted.
    Yes I did. I asked a simple question. Can you not give an answer?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 18:26
    For my money, this is the essence of what Jesus was teaching.
    I agree and would go so far as to say that its the substance of what both Christ and Paul taught. You can have all the faith in the world and have all the gifts of prophecy (like the Jws 😀) or all the knowledge, but if you dont demonstrate love and charity to your neighbour, you are nothing.

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
    1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
    ... 1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  11. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 18:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    (John 12:3-8) . . .Mary, therefore, took a pound of perfumed oil, genuine nard, very costly, and she greased the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet dry with her hair. The house became filled with the scent of the perfumed oil.  But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples, who was about to betray him, said:  “Why was it this perfumed oil was not sold for t ...[text shortened]... not a miracle worker, nor a social worker, nor a charity worker, but as a teacher of Gods word.
    I disagree, respectfully , with your take on this passage Robbie. Its far more complictaed than "Jesus was not a social worker" The key to that passage is Christ's revelation that he would not be with them much longer. the anointing of feet was one of the preparations made for the dead before being entombed, so that plays in.
    For me the more important message here has to do with the extravagance of the gift. In modern terms it would take a years worth of labor at minimum wage before taxes to pay for it. How many people would be willing to give a gift that expensive to someone they loved? In contrast though, Mary's gift is cheap compared to the gift that Christ gives us on the cross and at his subsequent ressurection. Salvation and forgiveness are the most extravagant gift anyone can recieve.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 19:571 edit
    (John 12:3-8) . . .Mary, therefore, took a pound of perfumed oil, genuine nard, very costly, and she greased the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet dry with her hair. The house became filled with the scent of the perfumed oil.  But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples, who was about to betray him, said:  “Why was it this perfumed oil was not sold for t ...[text shortened]... not a miracle worker, nor a social worker, nor a charity worker, but as a teacher of Gods word.
    deleted
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 22:08
    Originally posted by duecer
    I disagree, respectfully , with your take on this passage Robbie. Its far more complictaed than "Jesus was not a social worker" The key to that passage is Christ's revelation that he would not be with them much longer. the anointing of feet was one of the preparations made for the dead before being entombed, so that plays in.
    For me the more important me ...[text shortened]... nt ressurection. Salvation and forgiveness are the most extravagant gift anyone can recieve.
    i do not deny this Deucer, indeed I cannot remember why i cited the passage, or the train of thought that was in my mind at the time. You speak truth!

However it is evident from scripture that Christ was essentially a teacher, first and foremost with all these others aspects taking a secondary place to his role as a teacher!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 22:101 edit
    deleted
    out with it, we are friends here dear Ming, no need to fear of offence, but i do really think that first and fore-mostly Christ was a teacher, there a numerous references to this in scripture.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 23:27
    out with it, we are friends here dear Ming, no need to fear of offence, but i do really think that first and fore-mostly Christ was a teacher, there a numerous references to this in scripture.
    What I said didn't hold water. I need to reformulate it. I'm consulting with my posse of Liberation Theologists now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree