1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 00:17
    Should a Christian teach non Christians about the Bible? This would include athiest.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 01:081 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Should a Christian teach non Christians about the Bible? This would include athiest.
    No easy answer from me. I think it is your job if you want to teach about the Bible, to be able to assess whether the moment is right for your teaching to be effective and not counterproductive.

Edit: this would not preclude you from teaching to anyone. It depends on the situation.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 01:09
    If they are willing to learn, why not? You are a non Christian who is not
    willing to learn and I still try to teach you. 😏
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 01:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If they are willing to learn, why not? You are a non Christian who is not
    willing to learn and I still try to teach you. 😏
    Your such a joker...Lol
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 01:521 edit
    I agree with JS357, I think it depends on the situation.

Although on the surface of it , it would sound like a bit of a far-fetched question - let alone a JW asking it (lol)- I would be interested in your motives for asking that question. Do you have a take , or are you just "stirring the pot" ? or something else?, or nothing?
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:03
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I agree with JS357, I think it depends on the situation.

Although on the surface of it , it would sound like a bit of a far-fetched question - let alone a JW asking it (lol)- I would be interested in your motives for asking that question. Do you have a take , or are you just "stirring the pot" ? or something else?, or nothing?
    No it's simple a discussion point. I know it's been mentioned here by a poster that he personally doesn't discuss spiritual things with athiest and I'm just wanting to know others views of this.
    I don't agree with him but that's his decision...
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:14
    Do you mean as opposed to teaching the Bible to Christians?

Some things can be taught, but I am of the belief that it is the Holy Spirit that teaches the truth of God's Word to the believer.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:16
    No it's simple a discussion point. I know it's been mentioned here by a poster that he personally doesn't discuss spiritual things with athiest and I'm just wanting to know others views of this.
    I don't agree with him but that's his decision...
    Ok. You "dont agree". Fair enough.
    I have nothing further to comment upon yet 🙂
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:232 edits
    Speaking as an atheist, never is it the case that I am grateful to hear such teachings from Christians; moreover I'm often inclined to hit back and teach them their beliefs are silly instead (and yes, I'm quite prepared to stand there and debate a random theist if they come knocking at *my* door peddling their magic friend)
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:341 edit
    Should a Christian teach non Christians about the Bible? This would include atheists.
    Well it depends on quite what you mean, and the situation, but I don't see any reason why
    not to teach anyone about the bible, or any other holy book.

It isn't my area of expertise and I am not a history or politics buff so I haven't studied the
    worlds religions or their holy books in any detail.
    But I do appreciate that to understand a religion, the people in it, and its effect on the world
    in politics, history, or culture, then you need to study among other things the holly books of
    the relevant religions.

But I don't know if a Christian is necessarily the best person to go to to learn about the bible.
    Certainly getting a believers perspective on a holy book is important, but there are things that
    a Christian is unlikely to tell you (or know) about their holy books that are potentially important
    to understanding them. So I would want (as with everything) multiple sources of information
    about any religion and/or holy book I was studying.

As for whether a Christian should teach a non-Christian about the bible... I don't see why not,
    people do switch from one religion to another or from atheism to a religion (there are some on
    this site who claim to have done so) and giving information about your religion is far more likely to
    be effective than ignoring or refusing to talk to those who don't share your faith.

However I would caution that it's not always going to help your cause, in the case of the bible I
    would try to avoid, well pretty much the entire old testament when trying to convert someone to
    your religion. Deuteronomy and Leviticus stand out in particular for me.
    Also if you are claiming the bible to be literally true I'd avoid genesis like the plague...

anyhow, just my tuppence worth.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    Do you mean as opposed to teaching the Bible to Christians?

Some things can be taught, but I am of the belief that it is the Holy Spirit that teaches the truth of God's Word to the believer.
    No, being taught to anyone..... You are correct somewhat as the Bible says it is God that "makes it grow" but he does use his Holy Spirit to teach but we as Christains have been told that we are to teach the Bible and truths to them as is said in Matt the 24th & 28th chapters.

2 Timothy 2:2
    New Living Translation (NLT)

2 You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.

Acts 5:42

42 And every day, in the Temple and from house to house, they continued to teach and preach this message: “Jesus is the Messiah.”
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:36
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well it depends on quite what you mean, and the situation, but I don't see any reason why
    not to teach anyone [b]about
    the bible, or any other holy book.

It isn't my area of expertise and I am not a history or politics buff so I haven't studied the
    worlds religions or their holy books in any detail.
    But I do appreciate that to understand a re ...[text shortened]... e literally true I'd avoid genesis like the plague...

anyhow, just my tuppence worth.[/b]
    Thanks for your comment...
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:37
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Speaking as an atheist, never is it the case that I am grateful to hear such teachings from Christians; moreover I'm often inclined to hit back and teach them their beliefs are silly instead (and yes, I'm quite prepared to stand there and debate a random theist if they come knocking at *my* door peddling their magic friend)
    Thanks...
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:41
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Speaking as an atheist, never is it the case that I am grateful to hear such teachings from Christians;
    moreover I'm often inclined to hit back and teach them their beliefs are silly instead (and yes, I'm quite
    prepared to stand there and debate a random theist if they come knocking at *my* door peddling their
    magic friend)
    Ah, yes I should have added in my post a bit about 'if they are interested'.
    Trying to teach a random person on the street or worse knocking on someone's door is not likely
    to go down well.

Although the last (and only) time JW's turned up at my house they got to enjoy 20 minutes of
    me trying to de-convert them, which seemed only fair.

This forum is for people who have chosen to come and talk about religion (and philosophy and
    spirituality although I have no idea what that last one means) and thus it's expected that here
    will be forceful debates about religion.

However while I debate fiercely here, I don't go around 'picking fights' as it were with theists in
    in my area, or go to local churches and try to de-convert people or really often mention religion at all.
    Because I respect the fact that people generally like their privacy and it's not pleasant to have a stranger
    come up to you and start trying to convert you to their faith position.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:56
    No, being taught to anyone..... You are correct somewhat as the Bible says it is God that "makes it grow" but he does use his Holy Spirit to teach but we as Christains have been told that we are to teach the Bible and truths to them as is said in Matt the 24th & 28th chapters.

2 Timothy 2:2

2 You have heard me teach t ...[text shortened]... from house to house, they continued to teach and preach this message: “Jesus is the Messiah.”
    The scriptures also say;

2 Timothy 2:15a - Study to shew thyself approved unto God,..

It takes work on our part as well. I also believe we grow in our understanding in direct relation to how willing we are to apply God's Word to our lives.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree