1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 02:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    The scriptures also say;

2 Timothy 2:15a - [b]Study to shew thyself approved unto God,..

It takes work on our part as well. I also believe we grow in our understanding in direct relation to how willing we are to apply God's Word to our lives.[/b]
    Yes you are correct....
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 03:04
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Ah, yes I should have added in my post a bit about 'if they are interested'.
    Trying to teach a random person on the street or worse knocking on someone's door is not likely
    to go down well.

Although the last (and only) time JW's turned up at my house they got to enjoy 20 minutes of
    me trying to de-convert them, which seemed only fair.

This fo ...[text shortened]... ve a stranger
    come up to you and start trying to convert you to their faith position.
    "Trying to teach a random person on the street or worse knocking on someone's door is not likely to go down well."

Well your'e not really correct there. It does work as the door to door is the principle way we approach the public and teach the Bible. Many are of some type of religion and some are even athiest. I know many JW's who were once athiest.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/2011-church-membership-southern-baptists-decline-cults-growing-48984/
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 03:27
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes you are correct....
    Ephesians 3:16 - That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; italics mine

What, or who, do you think is referred to by the term "inner man"?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 04:11
    Should a Christian teach non Christians about the Bible? This would include athiest.
    An interesting question adjacent to this is: Should a Christian - who is seeking to teach non Christians about the Bible - but who is intellectually feeble in some way, or poorly versed in the doctrine, or who has a literally counterproductive demeanor that actively alienates prospective 'learners'... should such a Christian be tackled by fellow Christians and counselled?
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 04:28
    Originally posted by josephw
    Ephesians 3:16 - That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the [b]inner man; italics mine

What, or who, do you think is referred to by the term "inner man"?[/b]
    Ones most innerself. God speaks of ones kidneys for example which is simply saying to learn and feel with the inner most or deepest part of your body...
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 04:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    An interesting question adjacent to this is: Should a Christian - who is seeking to teach non Christians about the Bible - but who is intellectually feeble in some way, or poorly versed in the doctrine, or who has a literally counterproductive demeanor that actively alienates prospective 'learners'... should such a Christian be tackled by fellow Christians and counselled?
    I don't know what you mean by "taclked" but we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Moses was "slow in speach and not educated" but he was used by God.
    The early Christians we told to go out by twos so they could strengthen and help each other if needed and it is still done today when we go door to door. Some do need help with the teaching work and we always help those that do.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 04:37
    Some do need help with the teaching work and we always help those that do.
    How would you tackle this need?
  8. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 05:18
    I Moses was "slow in speach and not educated" but he was used by God.
    If he was so slow... perhaps he got the 10 commandments wrong. 😛
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 07:31
    Should a Christian teach non Christians about the Bible? This would include athiest.
    yes
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 08:131 edit
    I don't know what you mean by "taclked" but we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Moses was "slow in speach and not educated" but he was used by God.
    The early Christians we told to go out by twos so they could strengthen and help each other if needed and it is still done today when we go door to door. Some do need help with the teaching work and we always help those that do.
    Finally, here is the motive of the OP Karoly was asking about earlier: Look at us in our works..

But to your other more interesting point here: "slow in speech and not educated". I don't believe the Bible says Moses was uneducated although he did claim himself to be 'slow in speech' - and yet in Acts 7 he is described and being "mighty in words and deeds".

There are a number of interesting topics wrapped up in this slightly leading thread about JW's door-to-door good works: how God to turns apparent weakness into strength, the value of evangelism in an atheistic world, the balance between out-reach and personal witness, divine appointments, considerations on how now not to bring the Gospel into ridicule and offence.

Inevitably, it will be about the JW and their wonderful [in their eyes] door to door work though.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 09:04
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Inevitably, it will be about the JW and their wonderful door to door work though.
    Does going door-to-door constitute "good works"?

When I think of "good works" I think of stuff like community empowerment, curbing domestic violence, protecting ecosystems, fighting human trafficking, rehabilitation for the disabled etc. etc.

Does JWs handing out a magazine on a doorstep trump these "good works" I am thinking of?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 09:192 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does going door-to-door constitute "good works"?

When I think of "good works" I think of stuff like community empowerment, curbing domestic violence, protecting ecosystems, fighting human trafficking, rehabilitation for the disabled etc. etc.

Does JWs handing out a magazine on a doorstep trump these "good works" I am thinking of?
    I edited my post; although I'm surprised you didn't read the irony in the last sentence.

Firstly remember that JW doctrine dictates 'justification by works' not faith in the completed work of Christ.

Secondly JW direction dictates that they should go 2 by 2 door to door (as mentioned once in the Bible)

Thirdly JWs fully believe that they and they only, hold the whole truth and revelation of God on earth, and that unless you are a JW, in and part of the corporate organisation (not just in belief) that you will perish/not be part of the afterlife/not be part of the 144,000 etc.

All JW posting should be viewed through these indicators.

Galveston's approach is softer and less arrogant than robbies carrobie's, but I find most of his OPs to be leading towards a further expose of how wonderful he and other JWs are for going door to door.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 09:35
    I edited my post; although I'm surprised you didn't read the irony in the last sentence.
    I did. I was being post ironic.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 09:38
    Galveston's approach is softer and less arrogant than robbies carrobie's, but I find most of his OPs to be leading towards a further expose of how wonderful he and other JWs are for going door to door.
    It wouldn't be enough for me. If what they offer on the doorstep is similar to what they offer here, I'm sorry, but it doesn't amount to all that much in terms of "good works" as far as I am concerned.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '12 09:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    It wouldn't be enough for me. If what they offer on the doorstep is similar to what they offer here, I'm sorry, but it doesn't amount to all that much in terms of "good works" as far as I am concerned.
    There is only two indicators that I know of that point to how one Christian or non-Christian should recognise a Christian, and those are: the inner witness of the spirit (e.g. Elizabeth's baby leaping in the womb) and the fruit of the spirit (note fruit is singular despite there being a list of virtues in the Bible). Not seeing that fruit does not mean that the person is not a Christian.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree