1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 02:08
    Originally posted by amannion
    That's just meaningless mumbo jumbo - the soul is that which directs a life? the soul will direct the mind?
    Sorry KJ, but the soul is a meaningless thing. The reality is that christian belief in the soul comes from mistaken greek translations of the biblical texts. You guys have set up a whole theology based on someone's mistakes.
    That would be funny if y ...[text shortened]... as,but you're going to have to do better than 'directs a life' and 'direct the mind'...
    You want to dismiss it, dismiss it. You think the mind is the bottom
    line of human direction and personality and that is all there is to
    human life, your welcome to your beliefs too.
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 02:24
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    I'm not dismissing anything, but you've got to do better than 'the soul drives the body' or 'the soul drives the mind' if you expect any reasonable person to take this soul idea seriously.
    The trouble with the soul is that language about it invariably takes a new age turn - all mystical and energy and life force and more ridiculous stuff. I mean,you may as well start chanting about crystals and so on.
    Give me something reasonable and I'll give you the respect your position deserves.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 06:56
    It seems you want to make the mind itself the person in this life and the next.
    Kelly
    I don't want to make the mind anything. I am trying to find out more about peoples concept of the soul and most people seem to be extremely reluctant to talk about it.
    So, am I understanding you correctly:
    You say that your soul is like some overall controller of your mind and body but is not dependent on them including your memories.

1. When you make a decision, what makes it, your soul or your mind?
    2. If it is your soul, how does it make decisions without the aid of memory?
    3. If you go mad, then who is making the decisions then?
    4. Why would you care what happens to some disembodied super controller that is not your mind and does not have your memories?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 06:59
    Kelly
    If a person is injected with a 'mind altering' substance such as a hormone, hallucinogenic drug etc their character may change completely. Similarly if someone is involved in an accident that affects their brain.
    Do they get a new soul when that happens, or is their soul changed by changes to the brain?

I am not criticizing your beliefs here, just trying to understand them better.
  5. England
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 14:09
    MY own interpritation of the afterlife. is we are judge at death, and put in the book of life, or not, then await the second conming when the hevenly host of god call the forgiven and cast out the unforgiven. As for knowing our friends and family all who enter will be your friend and family.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 08:384 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If a person is injected with a 'mind altering' substance such as a hormone, hallucinogenic drug etc their character may change completely. Similarly if someone is involved in an accident that affects their brain.
    Do they get a new soul when that happens, or is their soul changed by changes to the brain?

I am not criticizing your beliefs here, just trying to understand them better.
    Sounds real open minded.

Don't fall for it Kelly. I don't think he really cares.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Apr '08 09:50
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Sounds real open minded.

Don't fall for it Kelly. I don't think he really cares.
    Whether it sounds open minded to you or not, should not cause you (or Kelly) to clam up and refuse to talk about it. Why would you be afraid of getting 'trapped' anyway? Are you not confident in your beliefs? I know for a fact that you are generally closed minded, but that does not stop me from sharing my own beliefs and opinions with you or being ready to answer any question you might have about them.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 18:57
    Originally posted by amannion
    I'm not dismissing anything, but you've got to do better than 'the soul drives the body' or 'the soul drives the mind' if you expect any reasonable person to take this soul idea seriously.
    The trouble with the soul is that language about it invariably takes a new age turn - all mystical and energy and life force and more ridiculous stuff. I mean,you may as ...[text shortened]... o on.
    Give me something reasonable and I'll give you the respect your position deserves.
    If you are going to discuss the soul you are going to run into the
    spiritual it is without a doubt the way it is; if you are looking for a
    means to measure or indentify it through science you will be
    disappointed or at best left wanting. Science is not a reality checker
    where all things that can be real or true can be found through science.
    Kelly
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '08 13:09
    If you are going to discuss the soul you are going to run into the
    spiritual it is without a doubt the way it is; if you are looking for a
    means to measure or indentify it through science you will be
    disappointed or at best left wanting. Science is not a reality checker
    where all things that can be real or true can be found through science.
    Kelly
    I agree that science may not be able to tell us everything about reality. I personally however do not think that there is any other reliable way to attempt to find out about it.

Do you have other ways to find out what is real or true and what is your reasoning as to why they might be considered reliable?

I also agree that if the soul is supernatural then we cannot expect to learn everything about it via science. However I would expect people to be able to explain to me what their beliefs regarding it are and for their explanations to make some sense and not be self-contradictory. To often that is not the case.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 17:311 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I agree that science may not be able to tell us everything about reality. I personally however do not think that there is any other reliable way to attempt to find out about it.

Do you have other ways to find out what is real or true and what is your reasoning as to why they might be considered reliable?

I also agree that if the soul is supernatural ...[text shortened]... ir explanations to make some sense and not be self-contradictory. To often that is not the case.
    The thing is as it is said in scripture today in this life we see things
    as it were in a glass darkly. There are things that science can tell us,
    and there are things it cannot, simply because it cannot does not
    mean that those things it cannot are not real or true, only that due
    to our limitations it is beyond us. We also run the risk of seeing things
    believe X is true about them and getting it wrong, we mistakenly
    look at the evidence one way when it should be viewed as another.
    An example of evidence being off we could look at the O.J. trial,
    there was a statement, "if the glove does not fit don't convict" or
    something like that. That glove could have been there, and someone
    could have used it during or after that crime; but, the statement
    about O.J. being not guilty because of this put to much importance
    on the size of the glove.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree